Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bram Stoker's Dracula sucks

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played The Party Zone which also had a simple playfield, but that had more fun rules and things to play around with.

My Devices
    Surface Book 2 and Pixel XL 2
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos3 View Post
    I actually wish more games on TPA were like this. It would make it more realistic.
    Agree 100%. I hope that Season 5 is the Season of Hard Tables, as part of FarSight's opportunity to "re-align expectations" at each Season's release.
    Find me on:
    Twitter | Google+ | Blab.im | GitHub | LinkedIn

My Devices
    Mi Pad 4 Plus, Xperia XZ2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJr View Post
    I've played The Party Zone which also had a simple playfield, but that had more fun rules and things to play around with.
    As one those few that likes TPZ very much (best table in S5 for me) and like it more than BSD I can't agree that there's more things to play with. BSD is more complex when it comes to rules and goals.
    Dear FS, Special Force and Radical, please.

My Devices
    Kindle Fire
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJr View Post
    Okay, well it is obvious that you are not that experienced with pinball. BSD is so much better than Party Zone. You may like Party Zone for person taste but if your idea of a good table is Party Zone and your idea of a bad table is BSD than you obviously haven't played enough tables to know what makes a good table. Heck when I started playing Pinball Arcade I really loved Going Nuts because all the balls were just so crazy and my games never lasted long on any table so I never knew there was a timer.

Play BSD more and you will see what a good table it is.

and for the record, I really like Dr. Dude and 1812. Yes, I know the scoring is all screwed up and they are not very good tables but I enjoy playing them on TPA. If I had to drop quarters into them, it would be another story.
    Last edited by Rich Lehmann; 04-08-2015 at 12:47 AM.

My Devices
    PS4, PS3, KindleHD
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think it takes some time to fall in love with BSD.
    After a while, I would say, that it´s a challenging, but not frustrating table with a great flow, a conceived set of rules and it has a good artwork (imo, not one of the best in TPA, that´s the artwork of POTO, one of the lowest rated tables in TPA).

My Devices
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Lehmann View Post
    And BSD can't be the worst table. The things you don't like about it are 10 times worse in Phantom of the Opera.
    You can say that again. The art/music is the only good part of POTO.

My Devices
    PC (Steam) Samsung s9 (android) PS3
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BSD is the best pin in TPA.
    Most Wanted: 1. Spider-Man 2. LOTR 3. Shadow
    Twitch digital pin: www.twitch.tv/switch3TV
    Twitch real pin: www.twitch.tv/umepinball

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by switch3flip View Post
    I love BSD for many many years I considered it my favorite movie of all time. The table has alot of things that are evocative of the movie.
    But Best pin..wow thats a tall order for that table.
    Tho the few times I've had all 3 multiballs going together it is like nirvana tho..

My Devices
    iOS, PSN
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Misner View Post
    I love BSD for many many years I considered it my favorite movie of all time. The table has alot of things that are evocative of the movie.
    But Best pin..wow thats a tall order for that table.
    Tho the few times I've had all 3 multiballs going together it is like nirvana tho..
    I definitely like the table better than the movie

My Devices
    iPad
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's phenomenal. Everything about the gameplay is very well thought out, and Farsight did a great job balancing it for TPA. I thought the title of this topic was a joke to be honest. Sure, it's a matter of taste, but I don't get how anyone would think this table sucks. I remember not really getting into it the few times I played it for real in the 90s, probably because I didn't understand the rules that well then. This is one table I would love to own.

My Devices
    PS4, Linux (Wine), Galaxy S6, PS3
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I thought the title of this topic was a joke to be honest. Sure, it's a matter of taste, but I don't get how anyone would think this table sucks.
    It may be that JuniorJr hadn't had as much time as many of us have had playing TPA. If BSD was one of the first tables I tried when I started playing TPA I would have found it aggravating as well. I think this applies to the physical table as well. It is certainly not what I would recommend as a starter table for anyone, although if I am wrong about your experience JuniorJr I apologize.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BSD is NOT for noobs. It was made as a pinball for experts. you have to be able to nudge to handle drains out of the bumpers. you have have the discipline to avoid the standups of death, and patiently post pass and shoot the ramps as needed. you also need the accuracy to shoot the ramps and the mystery hole under pressure.

I'm glad the table is just as much of a noob killer in TPA as in real life.
    Last edited by Zaphod77; 04-15-2015 at 10:36 PM.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    It's phenomenal. Everything about the gameplay is very well thought out, and Farsight did a great job balancing it for TPA. I thought the title of this topic was a joke to be honest. Sure, it's a matter of taste, but I don't get how anyone would think this table sucks. I remember not really getting into it the few times I played it for real in the 90s, probably because I didn't understand the rules that well then. This is one table I would love to own.
    Yeah I would also like to own this one for sure. More than any other pin probably.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some of the things I like about BSD both for TPA and real is that for one thing it's not a grinder. It's instant and action packed. Every shot counts. You can always have a quick game on TPA. And if you own it, playing with friends no one will have to stand and wait and get bored.

Also the shorter lighting flippers seem to work really well in TPA, the feeling is much more realistic. You have to hit the ball well to get the power to make the ramp shots and also live catching or catching in general is much easier.
    The shorter flippers make for a wider gap between flippers and that makes the TPA version a more realistic feeling pin because side nudging to avoid SDTM drains becomes harder and not so unrealistic.

There's so much more about it. You can have 2 lousy balls but that doesn't matter, you can get everything going on 1 ball anyway. And no matter how bad you play you'll always have a shot at getting a miltiball going. Your score can go from nothing to amazing in no time.

How cool isn't the moving ball on mist multiball? And I really like that during castle multiball if you shoot balls up the ramp they stay locked for a while so you have some time to use one ball without other balls getting in the way to start the other multiballs if you haven't already. And tripple stacked multiball is the best mode in pinball history.

And there are so many small things that make a big difference, like when to go for bats, how skill shots light coffin lock, how it has the best video mode ever, how well the theme fits, how you get grace time after tilt warning (meaning you can nudge very intensely without tilting for a short period of time), and much more.

It's the most realistic and fun of all the pins in TPA and really a level above the rest. In a league of its own.
    Last edited by switch3flip; 04-17-2015 at 08:50 PM.

My Devices
    iPhone, ps3
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skill shots light coffin locks? Maybe I shouldn't ignore those.

Yeah, during my breakup period with TPA (only playing Zaccaria) All it took was for me to play BSD.

For anyone that hasn't bought BSD for whatever reason, do yourself a favor and play it as that 'free table of the month' this month.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extork View Post
    Skill shots light coffin locks? Maybe I shouldn't ignore those.
    You advance one ramp with every middle face skillshot. You also get a letter for video-

There a couple easter eggs in BSD. Have you tried writing SUN if you get to enter initials?

My Devices
    PC/Steam/Windows
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also the shorter lighting flippers seem to work really well in TPA, the feeling is much more realistic. You have to hit the ball well to get the power to make the ramp shots and also live catching or catching in general is much easier.
    The shorter flippers make for a wider gap between flippers and that makes the TPA version a more realistic feeling pin because side nudging to avoid SDTM drains becomes harder and not so unrealistic.
    This, very much so. I love the feel of the lightning flippers in TPA. There's more space around the flippers to do a bit more of the subtle moves that TPA's flippers are usually too crude to allow. And slap saves aren't automatic, I actually miss them on occasion. The lightning flippers play very well, at least if you have keyboard or gamepad controls for precise nudging.

how skill shots light coffin lock
    This I didn't realize. I knew a skill shot advanced towards video mode, but does it advance the coffin ramp too? Will have to pay closer attention to that.

how well the theme fits
    This I'm not so sure. What even IS the theme? It's Dracula spouting off a bunch of random quotes with no coherence. Are you killing Dracula? Some of the voiceovers seem to hint in that direction, but nothing you do actually gives a quote or animation to say so. What are you doing in the castle that's worth so many jackpots? What is Mist and why do you want it? Compare to say MM or MB, where everything you do is visceral and relevant - attacking the castle, looting the treasure room, smacking trolls, recruiting and rocking monsters. What's even happening in BSD?

My Devices
    iPad 2, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, PS4
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The goal of Bram Stoker's Dracula is to destroy Dracula.

- Castle multiball represents killing the Concubines
    - Coffin multiball represents trying to kill Dracula
    - Bats represents trying to kill Dracula's bats
    - Rats represents trying to kill Dracula's rats
    - Video mode represents trying to kill Dracula's werewolves, the Children of the Night
    ------------------------–----------------------------------------------------------------
    Livestreams: http://www.twitch.tv/captainbzarre
    Pinball Arcade Account Name: ISuckAtPins
    Wii U ID: FocusFusion
    PS4 ID: richc111

My Devices
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingerik View Post

This I didn't realize. I knew a skill shot advanced towards video mode, but does it advance the coffin ramp too? Will have to pay closer attention to that.

This I'm not so sure. What even IS the theme? It's Dracula spouting off a bunch of random quotes with no coherence. Are you killing Dracula? Some of the voiceovers seem to hint in that direction, but nothing you do actually gives a quote or animation to say so. What are you doing in the castle that's worth so many jackpots? What is Mist and why do you want it? Compare to say MM or MB, where everything you do is visceral and relevant - attacking the castle, looting the treasure room, smacking trolls, recruiting and rocking monsters. What's even happening in BSD?
    Ha ha ha, yeah the "story" isn't really crystal clear, lol, I certainly agree on that. In the castle, I think your'e sticking your pole in Draculas concubines, he he But yeah, it's not super clear, lol.
    I was more of thinking how I like the mood of the pin, with the music, artwork, screams and callouts and horror stuff.

Yeah, you advance coffin ramp with each middle face skillshot.

Oh, and in the asylum, if you flip a flipper you get more points and a different animation!
    Last edited by switch3flip; 04-18-2015 at 11:15 AM.

My Devices
    iPad, iPhone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also thought the title of this thread was a play on words.

BSD is one of my top 3 on TPA. I especially like the sound effects and music! Being rather obsessed by high scores and goals, this table is the one I turn to when I just want to play for fun.
    Best leaderboard score: #13 (Roadshow)
    Worst leaderboard score: #211 (Cactus Canyon)
    HOF-points (2015-06-29): 39.194 p (#3)
    Invitro leaderboard: #27 (June) / #7 on iOS
    Completed all Wizard Goals.
    ...Playing on iPad...
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Hoping for: Dr Who, The Shadow & Indy.

My Devices
    PS Vita, PS3, iPad 3, iPhone 5s
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread title just dawned on me.

My Devices
    PS3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with the OP. This table drives me bonkers. My first game, scored over 850 million. Had no idea what I was doing, but was doing very well. I am lucky to get over 100 million now, pondering to myself how in the world did I ever manage to do so well the first time.

My main problems besides the whole being at the whim of chaos if you miss a ramp shot is how the speed of the balls down the left and right lanes (more so the left than the right) seem so random, making timing real hard. The other issue is I swear the flippers are ineffective at times. I know I don't have the best reaction times, but it seems as if the flippers aren't even there.

My Devices
    Mi Pad 4 Plus, Xperia XZ2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and that's normal. For each decent game you'll have ten (or more) on which you won't have enough to get EB. It's BSD.
    Dear FS, Special Force and Radical, please.

My Devices
    Steam, PS4, iPad
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a terrible introductory table, which is where I think the complaints are coming from. BSD won't try to wow you with cool shots and flashy design. You can't just jump in and start modes or clear target banks. And if you don't know what you should be aiming for the outlanes will eat your ball and tell you to go home.

Getting into this table is hard, but when you manage to get everything going right, it is so satisfying. But really tough. My best score on BSD is 4.4 Billion. My 2nd best is just barely one billion. That's the difference a really good game makes.

My Devices
    PS4 Pro, iPad Mini 4, iPhone SE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I knew a local guy who had a real one and felt the same way as I'd be happy to take it off his hands for the right price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast