Monster Bash needs graphic update

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Well, it looks much sharper and nice, but I think it's a little dark personally.

The picture posted by Carl shows the real table looking brighter than TPA.
MS_TPA_ARC.jpg

I hope Farsight are able to add that lighting slider sooner than later.

Actually some parts of the TPA version are actually brighter. Look at everything on the playfield above the monster heads (the Creature Feature art, the lightning bolts, the blue background, etc.).

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Actually some parts of the TPA version are actually brighter. Look at everything on the playfield above the monster heads (the Creature Feature art, the lightning bolts, the blue background, etc.).

"When lit" :)

I'm not taking any jabs at the TPA table.
I think it looks amazing.

I just sometimes miss how bright everything was prior to the updates on the PS3.
I know a day/night slider would take care of this so I'm not bugging Farsight about it. I'm sure they have enough on their plate as it is.
It will be a welcome addition once it's added though.

Pinball can look very different depending on the ambient room lighting (or lack there of).

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
If I'm correct, for VP, the images are scanned and redrawn sometimes.
Scanners don't always have perfect color rendering and redraws can end up changing colours too. Not to knock on the guys who work hard doing it ever.

I got myself a DSLR and a polarizing filter, I wouldn't mind taking some shots of some local tables with the filter (reduce reflections from non-metallic surfaces like glass) and see how the colour renders.

I live in Windsor Ontario though and i think there are approximately 15 pinball tables playable in the entire city.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
"When lit" :)

No I'm not talking about the lights. For instance, the flames in the middle above the monsters' heads do not even light up. Just look how much brighter the blue background in that area is on TPA. That whole section in the left pic looks pretty washed out in comparison to the right (TPA) side.

I know a day/night slider would take care of this so I'm not bugging Farsight about it. I'm sure they have enough on their plate as it is.
It will be a welcome addition once it's added though.

Pinball can look very different depending on the ambient room lighting (or lack there of).

I hear ya. So much depends on the room, placement of the lighting, etc. You could take a real Monster Bash machine, move it from room to room in your house, take pictures of it each time and from different angles, and the lighting is going to vary every time....sometimes drastically, depending on the room and the time of day, if there's any natural lighting. That's why it's a bit unfair to take one random picture and compare it to TPA and say, "Why doesn't TPA have the same brightness as the real thing?"...

But yes, I completely agree that it'll be really nice to have that day/night slider....then we can all tweak it to our own taste, current time of day, mood, or what have you.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
No I'm not talking about the lights. For instance, the flames in the middle above the monsters' heads do not even light up. Just look how much brighter the blue background in that area is on TPA. That whole section in the left pic looks pretty washed out in comparison to the right (TPA) side.

I hear ya. So much depends on the room, placement of the lighting, etc. You could take a real Monster Bash machine, move it from room to room in your house, take pictures of it each time and from different angles, and the lighting is going to vary every time....sometimes drastically, depending on the room and the time of day, if there's any natural lighting. That's why it's a bit unfair to take one random picture and compare it to TPA and say, "Why doesn't TPA have the same brightness as the real thing?"...

But yes, I completely agree that it'll be really nice to have that day/night slider....then we can all tweak it to our own taste, current time of day, mood, or what have you.

The picture really wasn't the best quality for comparison. Pin Wiz had mentioned a while back that he was going to snap some pictures of the real table and post them.

Also, for the record, I didn't say "Why doesn't TPA have the same brightness as the real thing?"! I just said I thought it looked a little dark to me is all.
I've supported Farsight for many years now and just made one observation on the brightness. I don't want to come off as one of the other trolls who do nothing but complain. :p

EDIT:
There are a lot of great high resolution shots of Monster Bash here:
http://www.iobium.com/finished_monster_bash.htm

This one in particular looks great and shows a lot of detail.
http://www.iobium.com/DSCN1090.JPG

In particular, I mostly feel the faces are what's too dark.

It seems like they made the red outline brighter, but left the faces dark.
MonsterBash-Compare2-vgo.jpg

Last edited:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
The change may be to make it as clear as possible which monster faces are lit. A computer display doesn't have as much dynamic range as a playfield with bright incandescent lights under it, so making the unlit faces brighter could risk making the lights harder to read. As it is, it's very easy to tell which ones you've got.

Longi

May 30, 2013
Monster Bash needs graphic update.
Will we (PC) get some with DX11?
The Playfield texture looks awful.
Please! :rolleyes:

Members online

Members online