Monster Bash needs graphic update

night

May 18, 2012
I am disapointed in the looks of Monster Bash, do a google on this table and you get the point. All these wonderfull plastic monster figures just don't make it on a tablet screen. You hardly get a clue what's going on in the back! I think much closer camera zooming on the upper playfield would definitely help here. The playfield is too dark as well, lack color. Take a look at the colors of the VPinMame conversion, this looks MUCH better: http://doomwadstation.com/dlw/jpm/Monster Bash Beta 6.jpg
I wonder if some tables are the right choice for a virtual conversion, especially when playing them on a tablet (and I don't even want to know how MB looks on an iPhone...).
FunHouse is just a wonderful example of a very successful conversion, this game looks excellent when played on a tablet. (It's my fav.)

Last edited:

starck

Jun 7, 2012
I honestly didn't even know there WAS a Frankenstein on the table until I read about the old camera bug getting stuck on frank (I never experienced it and thus never even knew the thing was on the table- cant really see it). Maybe my iPhone is just too small. But still.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I honestly didn't even know there WAS a Frankenstein on the table until I read about the old camera bug getting stuck on frank (I never experienced it and thus never even knew the thing was on the table- cant really see it). Maybe my iPhone is just too small. But still.

Almost unplayable on iPhone because of the size, unless away from home and have time for a quick game. iPad is where I play the most. Looks awesome there. I have no problems with monsters look. Keep the tables coming Please release Flight 2000. A great table by Stern from the early 80s. My favorite table.

Just Some Guy

Jun 18, 2012
I am disapointed in the looks of Monster Bash, do a google on this table and you get the point. All these wonderfull plastic monster figures just don't make it on a tablet screen. You hardly get a clue what's going on in the back!
I think this depends a lot on whether you're using your tablet in portrait or landscape orientation, what camera angle you're using, and whether or not you lock the camera.

The playfield is too dark as well, lack color. Take a look at the colors of the VPinMame conversion, this looks MUCH better: http://doomwadstation.com/dlw/jpm/Monster Bash Beta 6.jpg
I have to disagree with that VPinMame table looking better. To me, it looks like the colour was based off a photo of the table under an old incandescent light, very red/orange tinted, and blues/greens look totally wrong.

The lighting on the table looks very flat as well.

I think the background used makes the table appear a lot more colourful than it does in Pinball Arcade. Here's a quick comparison between the two with the backgrounds hastily cut out:

VPinMame:

Pinball Arcade (I should have turned the HUD off)

That's not to say that I think the Pinball Arcade conversion is perfect either though. I agree that the table seems a bit on the dark side, and they seem to have taken some liberties to ensure that you know whether or not you've activated one of the monster specials. On the real table, the monster art doesn't seem to dim the way that it does in Pinball Arcade for example.

Without a full lighting engine, there is no "accurate" way to represent the tables though, so perhaps they tried a number of different looks for the table, and decided that this was best.

I'm certainly not complaining though, I think the table looks great, and I appreciate the work that's going into them.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I am disapointed in the looks of Monster Bash, do a google on this table and you get the point. All these wonderfull plastic monster figures just don't make it on a tablet screen. You hardly get a clue what's going on in the back! I think much closer camera zooming on the upper playfield would definitely help here. The playfield is too dark as well, lack color. Take a look at the colors of the VPinMame conversion, this looks MUCH better: http://doomwadstation.com/dlw/jpm/Monster Bash Beta 6.jpg
I wonder if some tables are the right choice for a virtual conversion, especially when playing them on a tablet (and I don't even want to know how MB looks on an iPhone...).
FunHouse is just a wonderful example of a very successful conversion, this game looks excellent when played on a tablet. (It's my fav.)

Sorry, but the TPA version of Monster Bash is what the real table looks like. The colors on the VPM version you posted a pic of are all wrong. I'm going to Pinballz tomorrow and I'll take a pic of the real Monster Bash playfield to show you what I mean.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
I'd agree colourwise that FS MB is more accurate than the VP table posted.
But I'd have to agree that the art package for TPA MB is certainly not the best-it appears rushed and sloppy compared to the other releases. Main points I'd raise are:
1. The side rails-They look tok thick and nasty (compare with TOTAN-a similar era table).
2. It appears the perspective is off-and that the PF tapers away too much (Is this just me?)
3. Features too small-as others have noted (Not helped by the aforementioned mentioned taper-issue).
PS. Gorgar ALSO has issues on the graphics front.

Andy

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Keep in mind we have yet to see what MB and Gorgar actually look like on the consoles. The graphics are usually toned down for the mobile versions to make them run smoothly, so don't judge just yet.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Keep in mind we have yet to see what MB and Gorgar actually look like on the consoles. The graphics are usually toned down for the mobile versions to make them run smoothly, so don't judge just yet.

This is not a Graphical Grunt issue-IMHO.
More of a design and implementation one.
Basically these latest tables are of a lower quality-if not art-wise-then design and tweaking of design wise.
This-along with MB's initially gamebreaking bug means I'll be less likely to dive in next DLC-Day....
Please take a mobile break to tweak-add Game Centre, etc.
(And work on console - AND *PC* - faith is slipping, but you CAN halt the slide-Ball's in your court (bad metaphor) :)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Sorry, but the TPA version of Monster Bash is what the real table looks like. The colors on the VPM version you posted a pic of are all wrong. I'm going to Pinballz tomorrow and I'll take a pic of the real Monster Bash playfield to show you what I mean.

Hey Pin Wiz, were you able to snap any pics?
I am definitely interested in checking them out as I've never seen one in person (or a good, clear pic either).

Aren't the PinMame, Future Pinball recreations made with actual scans of the playfield when possible?

I think the playfield looks a little dark on the TPA version. It makes the colors look "off" and a bit greenish.
Hopefully that night/day option is coming sooner than later which will fix all of that for those who want to use it. It looks beautiful either way, but i kind of like seeing the faces more clearly.

PinMame:
mb3cm2y.jpg

The Pinball Arcade:
monster-bash-beta-6a4kzz.jpg

Last edited:

J2fold

Jul 28, 2012
I am not digging the voices. I will admit I have never seen the original, but wonder if voices are the same as the real pinball game? It's not a bad table to me, but I keep thinking the song Monster bash is going to play which would be cool. They should of put this table out on Halloween.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I am not digging the voices. I will admit I have never seen the original, but wonder if voices are the same as the real pinball game? It's not a bad table to me, but I keep thinking the song Monster bash is going to play which would be cool. They should of put this table out on Halloween.
As far as I can tell, the voices are unchanged. In fact, for the emulated tables, it should be almost exactly the same, with the exception of some things getting bleeped out so TPA can maintain its E10 rating. There also is a "Monster Bash" song that plays during the Monster Bash mode.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012

You may be thinking of Bobby "Boris" Pickett's old song "Monster Mash", which almost certainly provided partial inspiration for this game, but was not licensed for it.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
The real table definitely looks more like the TPA version than the other.

Well, it looks much sharper and nice, but I think it's a little dark personally.

The picture posted by Carl shows the real table looking brighter than TPA.
MS_TPA_ARC.jpg

I hope Farsight are able to add that lighting slider sooner than later.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
The scary thing with that side by side is, that the TPA version looks more real than the photograph.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.