The trick for the 100k skill shot

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I think I have understood how the 100k skill shot works. It actually IS consequent but the sweet spot to hit 100k is incredibly small. Basically, it is so small so that if you release while moving your thumb (on mobile devices) you may move out of that sweet spot and hit 5/25. For me I find this sweet spot on Camera 3 when the two circles from the knob and that yellow background overlap but leaves one (almost literally one) pixel of yellow in between. Hard to describe exactly where, you'll have to try your way to it.

The trick then is when you release you must make sure you release your thumb straight up. By doing so you should be able to hit it about 50/50 or 2/3 out of every attempt. I don't know how this translates to PC/Mac/Xbox but I can do it with some consistency now.

Good luck!

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
No joke. Going from C to TAF is like night and day with the skill shot. At least with TAF you can nudge it into place if you are a little off. I can get it consistently on cam 1 for the plunger view like this.... I just watch the right edge of the knob (where it touches the background)...

That was kind of a b***h to take a screenshot at that exact moment, but it was worth it!

...still not as hard as SST ramp skill shot

Last edited:

geohoo

May 31, 2013
Thanks for the tip!

I think I have understood how the 100k skill shot works. It actually IS consequent but the sweet spot to hit 100k is incredibly small. Basically, it is so small so that if you release while moving your thumb (on mobile devices) you may move out of that sweet spot and hit 5/25. For me I find this sweet spot on Camera 3 when the two circles from the knob and that yellow background overlap but leaves one (almost literally one) pixel of yellow in between. Hard to describe exactly where, you'll have to try your way to it.

The trick then is when you release you must make sure you release your thumb straight up. By doing so you should be able to hit it about 50/50 or 2/3 out of every attempt. I don't know how this translates to PC/Mac/Xbox but I can do it with some consistency now.

Good luck!

Storm Chaser,

You were right. I'm hitting the 100k now, with your tip, at 50% or possible even more. (I got it 5 times in a row once!) I didn't go to camera 3, however, and am still using the default. I just used your method to help me capture 2nd place on the machine. (I'm assuming the person who has significantly higher than the player above me, hacked it, since he has large, unbelievable scores on a bunch of other games.) What was disappointing in the game was how I got so close to first. My arms and brain were tired as I frantically got near the end of the game and I sort of pooped out, not realizing that if I gave it a little more and played for a few more seconds for a measly couple of hundred thousand points I would have had it.

BTW, Storm Chaser, I'm only several positions behind you in Hall Of Fame points, and one day I will catch you! :)

George
(geohoo)

Jay

May 19, 2012
Interesting, Extork. But I can't get that perspective on the Mac version. I'm either low to the table, directly above or off to the right. And pulling the plunger on the Mac version is really touchy, with a fraction of an inch difference from not even getting the ball up the habitrail to blasting through the entire trough and out onto the playfield. I can pretty consistently hit the 25k shot, but have probably hit 100k by accident twice in all the time I've played it.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Interesting, Extork. But I can't get that perspective on the Mac version. I'm either low to the table, directly above or off to the right. And pulling the plunger on the Mac version is really touchy, with a fraction of an inch difference from not even getting the ball up the habitrail to blasting through the entire trough and out onto the playfield. I can pretty consistently hit the 25k shot, but have probably hit 100k by accident twice in all the time I've played it.

perspective does not mean much here. The problem is that on this table skill shot/ plunger position is very inconsistent so at the end it is pure luck will you get 100k or not. And I really like this one and play it a lot and still can't hit 100k reliably.
To get the goal you need extra balls and a bit of luck, no skill involved here.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
We discussed this shot in our podcast. Jared theorized it has to to with collision detection of the gates. Much like how your ball will be magically sucked through the outlane save gate on Centaur, with Cyclone you have multiple gates in a row. This has the cumulative affect of sucking the ball through more and more because the collision detection overlaps. I agree that it is a ridiculously hard shot to make and is nothing like plunging on a real table. FarSight has had problems with getting the plunger right on many tables, but this one is hands down the worst.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
I finally made the shot... but in the tournament, which doesn't help me one bit.
We discussed this shot in our podcast. Jared theorized it has to to with collision detection of the gates. Much like how your ball will be magically sucked through the outlane save gate on Centaur, with Cyclone you have multiple gates in a row. This has the cumulative affect of sucking the ball through more and more because the collision detection overlaps. I agree that it is a ridiculously hard shot to make and is nothing like plunging on a real table. FarSight has had problems with getting the plunger right on many tables, but this one is hands down the worst.
On the PS3, I find there is a very small window between landing in the skill shot area at all verses flying out entirely. I was hitting this shot in my first game IRL, but I seem to need extraordinary luck to even get 25k in TPA.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
a well timed nudge actually helps with this shot as well. just after the ball passes the gate it needs to, nudge up. this will force the ball sideways and into the hole.

Eternal21

Jun 3, 2018
I figured out how to get the skillshot 100% of times. You need to pull the plunger pixel-perfect, then pause the game. Then let go of the plunger, and unpause the game. The ball will get released with the same force every single time. See how I got the Wizard Goal on PS4 using that method here:

skippycue

Jul 16, 2013
Firstly, the 500K+ Skill Shot goal is misnamed because the maximum value for a skill shot is 500K, nothing higher. I also want to point out that you don't have to hit the 100K skill shot 5 times, you only need to hit it once! As long as you hit any skill shot 4 times, the skill shot multiplier increases to 5x. Once the skill shot multiplier is 5x, then you should go for the 100K skill shot. The simplest way to earn 2 extra balls is by hitting the Replay score of 2 million and increasing your bonus multiplier to 5x. I didn't realize the Special on this table awarded an extra ball since the instructions only mention it awards 100K points or I would've taken this approach myself. It's quite easy to accomplish both of these tasks so with a little practice you should be able to nail that 500K skill shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.