Why no love for this table ???

PET3R

Mar 10, 2015
I am just wandering why it has so bad ratings. What am I missing ? I understand it is not the best table like Adams family, Monster Bash, Attack from Mars, White Water, Theater of Magic or Twilight Zone, but it always seems to be placed somewhere very far near the bottom of the charts.

I actually got really hooked up on this table and love it's action and simplicity. I really like the mechanism of you shooting various shots and raking those miles to travel to other cities. And I absolutely love the idea that you still gaining miles during the mutliballs. You are not even thinking to start multiballs to shoot only for jackpots but you are aware that during the mutliball you will travel much quicker to the other cities. Whole table makes me feel that it is not much about how good game and shots I had but more about how long I can keep the ball in game, as the longer you play the further you travel. So at the end it feels like real journey where you actually see how far did you get. Then there are patches that increasing the Milwaukee Jackpot, but the clever part is that you are being rewarded scores as soon as you shoot them, so in case you don't reach Milwaukee wizard mode you don't feel like you did it for nothing.
I know many here hate the video but I actually like it. As it is always the same, it is only you who can blame your self in case you did not reach that 35 million. And even though you know the route and finished it successfully many times, you always feel nervous completing it, because many times you do very small silly mistake that costs you that 35 Million which quite hurts. And because you are aware of that and want so much to have a clear run it makes you more likely to do the mistake. I like the multiballs that happen regularly and it's variability as well as increasing number of balls when you hit the jackpot. It keeps you in the multiball again. I find getting red light super Jackpot real fun as you need to complete each ramp few times before you can go for it. I love the increasing difficulty because when you start playing the table you are usually warming up so getting multiballs and cities easier works perfectly, later during the game you are more focused and can do shots more precisely so increasing difficulty just suits it well. The 3 extra balls per game works perfect for me as I hate long day games. And even the airbag between the flippers is a nice touch, specially when you see the ball falling right between the flippers and you know you can't save it. You pop out the stopper for a second and the ball is saved.
The biggest concern I probably got is some of the scoring. Milwaukee wizard mode does not seem to be very worthy and 7 million for single mistery rider seems to be way too much, specially when you can shoot it again and again. But i think if it had few slight tweaks it would definitely belong to one of my best tables as I already now enjoy it so much despite the downsides.

Can you write me what are your thoughts about this table and where it ranks within your collection ?

PET3R

Mar 10, 2015
Oh and I absolutely forgotten to mention the music, which for me is a blast. Specially when the Red Light multiball is about to start and all the lights start to flash into the powerful hard-rock fully energetic tune. Love it. "Can I see your licence registration" with the accent :)

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
that's a pretty good write up pet3r. I use to play this machine before tpa came out. and I liked it. it was actually the first machine I was able to perform a death save.

when it was announced to be coming to tpa, I was enthusiastic about it. I purchased it on day of release and played it for a couple of hours. for some reason it wasn't just as fun as I remember. I really couldn't tell you why. this and champion pub are the only machines that I liked irl but just didn't groove on tpa. do I hate the table? no, not at all. do I love it? nope. do I like it? sure. I admit that I rarely play it. but I do play it about 2-3 times a month, which sounds kind of a low number (which it is) but there are a few tables that I never play. I find myself playing the same dozen tables over and over which I play a game or two everyday out of those dozen machines.

as for your original question "why no love". it could be that the call outs aren't that exciting (which I can overlook on the real machine, but are sorta irritating on my tv). it also could be that some people find it easy, and the general consensus around here is "we want tougher tables". I myself don't mind an easy table, nor do I mind a tough table as long as its fair.

im curious how many people will have the same opinion as you, cuz imo its not a bad table. it has a fairly solid rule set and I love me some multiball.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Many stern tables just feel soulless to me, in the way that a good williams/bally doesn't. TSPP and LoTR are major exceptions, and they are both brilliant, but most of the others of that vintage just seem lacking to me, and harley davidson is among those. to be fair i have yet to play the ralyl new oens so they may have improved. I can't really put my finger on what's wrong with them, but something just doesn't seem right. Am i the only one?

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
hehehe I think u said it. "soulless"
dispoabal heroes... but I wouldn't put hd in that category... I love f2k ( which is to me an indentifiable (by most layman) a stern machine. that machine beats me down a lot and I still keep coming.

but yes... Harley feel soulless to me... at least in tpa.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
I always consider machines a "she" like a ship...or your first car. and id love to take f2k for and expesive dinner and a ______ harmonica lesson (hehehe switty from the chat will get it) but Harley is a great one night stand / booty call that ill never erase her number.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
F2k is actually good. it's the post SEGA sterns that have that problem. many datya east games are good as well.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Many stern tables just feel soulless to me, in the way that a good williams/bally doesn't. TSPP and LoTR are major exceptions, and they are both brilliant, but most of the others of that vintage just seem lacking to me, and harley davidson is among those. to be fair i have yet to play the ralyl new oens so they may have improved. I can't really put my finger on what's wrong with them, but something just doesn't seem right. Am i the only one?
No, you are not. For me it's pretty much the same. Stern is like modern Preimer, few really great ones (RBION, LOTR, POTC, Spiderman) and the rest are just meh..... I didn't play all of them but that's the impression. Elvis, HRC, Rolling Stones, Tron, Iron Man, HD, Striker Xtreme, Playboy.... some are utterly terrible, others are just not nearly as good as one might think when he sees one.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
For me it's the nonstop video mode and that awful "there's goes that mystery rider" callout. Get rid of those two things and I'd play it a bunch more often.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
For me it's the nonstop video mode and that awful "there's goes that mystery rider" callout. Get rid of those two things and I'd play it a bunch more often.

Ha ha ha! I've always referred to this table as the "Video mode Mystery ride". Them two things happen just too much to be any fun. Of course, i would probably think different if i played the real table.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
it's also a horrible use of the license imho. when i do play it, i enjoy it. but it's never one i think about playing. i just sorta stumble across it and give it a whirl. Agreed, the call outs are annoying.

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
Been playing this one a bit. Very fun table, the angle of the inlanes/outlanes is a little steep, just IMO. Hitting the bike while dealing with all the balls in Bike Multiball can be a pain, but that's part of the fun. :)

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I'd vote it one of the lamest tables.
They really blew the theme, the sound, the effects, the art, the look, the feel. Hard to put my finger onit exactly, but it's the only table out of all of them that doesn't seem like it should even be in the game.
Whoever designed it should feel bad.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'd vote it one of the lamest tables.
They really blew the theme, the sound, the effects, the art, the look, the feel. Hard to put my finger onit exactly, but it's the only table out of all of them that doesn't seem like it should even be in the game.
Whoever designed it should feel bad.

But... but... this is the 3rd version! This is the one that worked!

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I personally enjoy this more than the other Sega tables in TPA (I know, the 3rd edition is technically Stern, but the original edition was Sega.)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.