Zen Pinball FX3 Williams Pinball Volume One

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Zen Studios has announced today that they have the worldwide digital rights to Bally and Williams digital tables.

Read the Article written by [MENTION=2707]Xanija[/MENTION] in the Articles section to get you primed: http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/c...s-has-WMS-license-Demo-on-Steam-available-NOW!

Listen to the BlahCade Digital Pinball Podcast Episode 147 for a deep dive into what to expect, with a colossal medium post for the episode: http://blahcadepinball.com/147-zen-studios-wms-license

Steam users have access to a worldwide beta of Williams Pinball: details in the podcast link above.

Don't forget to give Zen Studios feedback either in-app or here on the DPF forums.

Zen Members will be soaking up all your feedback. Believe me when I say this: they listen.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The gameplay and graphics are top notch. As someone who never really cared for Zen’s other pinball titles because the physics didn’t feel like real pinball, I’m blown away by the demo!

Kudos to Zen for staying faithful to a realistic simulation experience. This is the best thing to happen to digital pinball in a long time!

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Demo'ed it right now.

BLOWN. AWAY.

THEY GOT JUNK YARD'S MUSIC RIGHT!

Physics are fantastic. Light shows could be better, but great as they are currently and hoping for more lighting options.

Backglass view, too!

GAH1068

Mar 6, 2018
Just a warning, if you opt in for the demo it nukes your existing FX3 tables so you can't run the beta with your existing tables.. That being said, the tables looks great and the from what I see they play "right". Never thought Zen would jump into the recreations but I am very glad they did.

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
As a fan of digital pinball i am THRILLED to be getting these tables again. between zen and farsight it should be the perfect mix.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Demo'ed it right now.

BLOWN. AWAY.

THEY GOT JUNK YARD'S MUSIC RIGHT!

Physics are fantastic. Light shows could be better, but great as they are currently and hoping for more lighting options.

Backglass view, too!

Look at how the lights interact with surrounding environment. The throw is much greater than TPA, you can actually see it reflect off toys or the side walls of the cabinet. The lit inserts are never blown out and you can still read the text on them, which has been something I've complained about for years. Also, no more spot light hitting the middle of the playfield from some unnamed light source!

Just a warning, if you opt in for the demo it nukes your existing FX3 tables so you can't run the beta with your existing tables.. That being said, the tables looks great and the from what I see they play "right". Never thought Zen would jump into the recreations but I am very glad they did.

When people were wondering what would happen with the license, a lot immediately dismissed Zen as an option saying that about them and recreations, but also the physics being an issue. Yeah, check mate!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
H:eek:ly shiite! I guess I'm gonna hafta update my PC afterall. FX3 runs choppy on my rig.

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
Wait, what?
This is interesting especially with how well the Zen interface is with tournaments and such. Looking forward to this, not looking forward to buying all the tables again.
Wonder how this effects TPA with it's work on bugs and such for those tables if there will be a drop off of people playing more tables on Zen vs TPA.

Now to get into more of the details, going to tune to that Pinball podcast, what,s the name, ah yes the BlahCade podcast.

Last edited:

scendr

Oct 29, 2014
I've played way more TPA than Zen's products because I like the authentic tables, but I've always admired Zen's production values, polish, and the pace at which they produce new content. I admire FarSight for revealing classic pinball experiences to new audiences, but I can't say I've been impressed with much else about their software.

I can't wait to get home today and try out this beta -- if it feels right, I feel like this means a much brighter future for digital pinball!

How do purchases work across different systems in FX3? If I purchase a table on PC, can I play it on Switch or would I have to repurchase it per console?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
There certainly is the question of whether people will want to buy the tables again. All I say is play the demo for 30 seconds and then tell me your answer. Or play Fish Tales for a good bit, then hop over to TPA and try it there again. I think the decision will be fairly easy. Or there's always waiting a while for a Steam winter or summer sale.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Had to stay up to get *all the things* live for this little announcement.

Midnight Madness is upon me. I'll be interested to hear what you all think of the beta in the future morning of Australian Wednesday. :p

I'm personally blown away by it.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I've played way more TPA than Zen's products because I like the authentic tables, but I've always admired Zen's production values, polish, and the pace at which they produce new content. I admire FarSight for revealing classic pinball experiences to new audiences, but I can't say I've been impressed with much else about their software.

I can't wait to get home today and try out this beta -- if it feels right, I feel like this means a much brighter future for digital pinball!

How do purchases work across different systems in FX3? If I purchase a table on PC, can I play it on Switch or would I have to repurchase it per console?

It's per console ecosystem. So if you buy it on PC, you get it on PC. Not Nintendo. Different company, different app store, etc.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

No cross-buy between different systems. Steam for Steam, Switch for Switch, etc. What Zen has done is the most authentic feeling to real pinball I've ever experienced. Have had access to this for 3 weeks, I've put it through its paces. No railroads, the weight of the ball is correct, the rubber is bouncy, the ball has spin, no vacuum ramps or gates, the ball truly feels wild.

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
Had to stay up to get *all the things* live for this little announcement.

Midnight Madness is upon me. I'll be interested to hear what you all think of the beta in the future morning of Australian Wednesday. :p

I'm personally blown away by it.

Appreciate all the work and appreciate the updates. Any word on if it'll support cabinet mode? Happy to buy these gems again but that's my only sticking point currently.

GAH1068

Mar 6, 2018
I have all the seaons in TPA and even bought the Arcooda license to boot. From just the few minutes I have played the Zen versions I can safely say I will be buying them all again. They really did an incredible job. I am blown away.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
No cross-buy between different systems. Steam for Steam, Switch for Switch, etc. What Zen has done is the most authentic feeling to real pinball I've ever experienced. Have had access to this for 3 weeks, I've put it through its paces. No railroads, the weight of the ball is correct, the rubber is bouncy, the ball has spin, no vacuum ramps or gates, the ball truly feels wild.

You've been sitting on this info for 3 weeks and happily keeping it quiet from us? Impressive.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
For those playing in portrait mode, make sure you check out the new View 8, which has the DMD at the top middle of the screen.

Members online

Members online