The Munsters - New from Stern

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Looks like they did a good job with the theme. I'd love to have a Premium. I liked watching The Munsters on Nick at Night/TV Land when I was a kid.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Looks pretty groovy. Loved watching the reruns as a kid too. It used to be on one of the local Chicago land channels during the day when I was playing hookey from school.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Look at the positioning of the ramps, the loops, Herman, the spinner in the middle, the scoop, the bumpers. That's essentially Monster Bash. As far as I can tell it's almost a direct copy, with perhaps some variations on ramp diverters.

At first glance, Herman’s placement immediately conjured up Monster Bash in my mind...and the more you look, the more of it you see...

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
AC/DC reskin?

Does seem to copy many parts. Ramps and pops in about same place. Herman instead of Bell. Grandpa scoop instead of TNT targets. Munsters lower playfield looks to have more in it, plus it has multiball, but I get what you mean.
Also has the catapult shot from Medieval Madness, but it’s called the dragula.

There’s so much copying of layout and features in pinball. It really doesn’t bother me as Long as they feel different enough when I play them. But if you own an AC/DC or Monster Bash already, I could see not being that interested.

The more I watch video of the Munsters, the more I think I will prefer the the pro model. I fear I will tire of the lower playfield after a good dozen plays. Looking forward to playing it at Pinfest in May.

Striker

May 26, 2017
Grandpa scoop and the “stairway”-looking ramp remind me a little bit of Addams Family. But I agree it really looks most similar to Monster Bash.

Coincidence? Hmmm...

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Yep Striker, lots of little bits and pieces from many classic pins in this one. At least they borrowed from good pins.

I like the simpler rules on this one. Much easier to understand for me, and easier to get to the first wizard mode at the end of level one. Sort of like Monster Bash.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
This Munsters game looks like a lot of fun, and the "black and white TV" style on the Premium is super cool, I suspect that is going to be popular.

I agree, it's a simpler ruleset than many of the recent Sterns, although there is some complexity (when you get to the second and third time through the modes/wizard modes). Really good article here with a deep dive into the layout and rules: https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/the-munsters-deep-dive-in-depth-overview-of-the-machine-and-the-code-and-the-rules/

It will be interesting to see how this game plays in competition.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks G32

That article has the first good pic I’ve seen of the 180 degree Marilyn ramp. That looks so cool.

46056436034_4fed125231.jpg

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
That's gonna be the ultimate impossible ramp once these have been out long enough that you start finding ones with weak flippers.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I love the Munsters and thought this would be an awesome table... got to play it about 10 times yesterday... it did not live up to my expectations. Like i really wanted to love this one but it just doesnt do it for me. I wouldnt call it terrible or bad, it is a very decent table, its just not as good as every other table they put out in recent years. (Not counting nellie)

Striker

May 26, 2017
Played it recently. I’d say it’s among my current favorites. Herman Multiball was my pathway to better scores. Grampa’s Lab can get a little tough with that pea-size pinball. I had beginner’s luck hitting the Marilyn ramp in my first few games. But the more I played the harder it became (what’s up with that?). Cannot find a way to hit the Dragula Racing shot from the flippers; I just get it every now and then off wild bounces. Eddie loops are fairly easy.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.