It’s the end of seasons on the pinball arcade

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I am personally committed to fixing as many bugs as I can when time allows.

That makes it sound like polishing TPA isn't a priority for Farsight.

Will the new focus be on Stern or are you guys done with pinball?

We got 1 Stern table in all of 2017, still waiting on Woah Nellie and Big Buck Hunter. Even with Stern Pinball Arcade Farsight released fewer tables in 2017 than it has in the history of TPA.

I think you can appreciate anxiety we feel knowing how many problems TPA has across its many platforms and knowing a Switch release has been announced but NOT knowing just how committed Farsight is to the game anymore. Will we be waiting months between patches for important fixes like we have been after Ghostbusters released? Will the support for the game just drift away? Will we even be lucky to see more than a couple tables a year?

It's sure gonna make those tables matter and fans are going to be much more critical of releases. With less than half as many tables a year (apparently bi-monthly was already ruled out) people aren't going to put up with less than the most requested stuff and you'll see even more people abandoning support for your game. That's bad for all of us.

Also, you guys don't have a good track record for communication.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Can someone post the latest newsletter for me? I never got mine for some reason?

Here you go!

I think the twitch stream comments were a polite way of saying the game is done. A few updates here and there to address the most glaring issues and it's finished.

From the news letter:
Banzai Run™ is the last table of Season Seven and marks the end of monthly table releases. We will continue to update the game and fix issues as we work on new tables and features.

With Norman retiring (a major producer for TPA), it's probably impossible for them to keep up with monthly releases anymore.

Last edited:

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Yeah, on Shovelware. :-(

End of era. I was hoping they'd get to 10 seasons of Pinball, but I guess we can't complain any. I guess now we can at least hope for years old bug fixes and updates.
While I'm happy with the huge selection of pinball tables out there, I just keep hoping that TPA opens and plays cleanly without notifications about logging in on the PS3.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
So do Farsight's Williams/Bally/Gottlieb/? licenses (everything except Stern) expire as well?

I think they are signed up for 2+ year blocks for those licenses, when the Blahcade interviewed Norman for their podcast he made it seem they could go several years yet for TPA. They just said the end of the monthly releases since it was too much pressure to get the tables out in that time frame but would still be bringing out new tables from time to time.

Rage

Apr 25, 2017
I never got the last 2 newsletters and I'm just hearing about this crap today and I'm devastated. TPA is all I do anymore. And this was my first season of PC so getting a table every month is still new for me. This totally sucks. Since there is no seasons I hope we'll still get 2 EM games per year. Spanish Eyes and Wild Card were the best yet as many EM's don't have high replay values as these 2. Free games is moot in TPA.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I'd love to see them redo Season 1. I'd happily pay for a season pass for Season 1(updated).

Who knows! Could that be what Farsight is planning? Completely rebuilding/re-doing everything from scratch, shedding all of the legacy stuff, capitalizing on 20/20 hindsight, getting ready for 4K consoles, 4K/5K/8K PCs and VR glasses?

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I'd love to see them redo Season 1. I'd happily pay for a season pass for Season 1(updated).

Absolutely - it has been a long time and clearly they can now do some amazing things that weren't available when Season 1 was created. Something like Season 1 Remastered", where they do the "Circus Voltaire" treatment to every table, would be something I would pay for.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Maybe we can pay $4.99 a month for bug fixes. That should take us out to season 10

It’s never a good idea to offer up a business model like that. Encouraging companies to make money by releasing buggy product so they can make even more money by fixing the same buggy product.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
A lot of questions:

I'd really like to hear about how Farsight plan on making the same amount of revenue now that there are no longer monthly table releases. Surely they'd want to make more over time, if anything?

Perhaps they have some cool secret projects they cannot discuss yet?

Generally speaking, they make a great product, which fills a niche gap in the market, so why change (reduce) the proven business model?

To a degree, I guess the writing was on the wall maybe when Stern Pinball Arcade came out - Pinball Arcade became a diluted product overnight, as you fragment the userbase, and basically force people to buy some of the same product again.

Perhaps as they now they don't need to pay Norman, they don't need to make as much money?

How many people work at Farsight?

Is the focus now primarily on Stern Pinball arcade?

I just can't see how Farsights other games could make anywhere near as much money as The Pinball Arcade in its heyday, so how are they now going to keep the money coming in?

I love everything Farsight have done for Pinball Arcade and pinball in general , but working on programs such as pinball invaders, Orballz, Brunswick bowling etc seems to indicate a potential lack of focus from them from time to time.

Perhaps its only until they recruit a replacement for Norman? (Hopefully)

Looking forward to the bug fixes anyway

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Farsight still gets significant ongoing sales from the back catalogue. Someone said somewhere that season 1 still outsells each newest season. Because that's still got the most best popular tables, compared to the deep tracks we've been getting lately. There's plenty of Steam users who will still grab anything that goes on sale. Makes sense if downshifting TPA into maintenance mode is still enough to keep the lights on.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
A lot of questions:

I'd really like to hear about how Farsight plan on making the same amount of revenue now that there are no longer monthly table releases. Surely they'd want to make more over time, if anything?

Like ve said, they still sell plenty of Season 1 packs to keep going, it seems.

Perhaps they have some cool secret projects they cannot discuss yet?

Most likely, only SPA.

Generally speaking, they make a great product, which fills a niche gap in the market, so why change (reduce) the proven business model?

Sadly, there are only so many tables that people want that are worth making. Banzai Run satisfied a lot of people. Of the tables still missing, most are licensed and even the seemingly dead licenses (e.g. Rollergames, The Shadow) may be far more problematic than we realize.

To a degree, I guess the writing was on the wall maybe when Stern Pinball Arcade came out - Pinball Arcade became a diluted product overnight, as you fragment the userbase, and basically force people to buy some of the same product again.

SPA was badly handled, but reading between the lines, I think they were also borked to some extent by whoever paid for AC/DC - I'm assuming it was Samsung/Oculus - getting exclusivity rights for x months. Also, modern Sterns are harder to do well (see Ghostbusters).

Perhaps as they now they don't need to pay Norman, they don't need to make as much money?

It's possible Norman was the real driving force behind TPA and the business model it followed, and his departure allowed for them to break from that cycle. Or maybe not. As fans, it's our job to speculate on such things.

How many people work at Farsight?

My guesstimate is 25-40. How many of those are actual developers who do stuff, and how many are pure management, I can't guess at.

Is the focus now primarily on Stern Pinball arcade?

I hope so.

I just can't see how Farsights other games could make anywhere near as much money as The Pinball Arcade in its heyday, so how are they now going to keep the money coming in?

They probably made more from season packs than individual DLCs (except on iOS, where season packs can only exist after the season is complete). Or not.

I love everything Farsight have done for Pinball Arcade and pinball in general , but working on programs such as pinball invaders, Orballz, Brunswick bowling etc seems to indicate a potential lack of focus from them from time to time.

Let's just say that their track record aside from TPA/SPA is... spotty at best.

Perhaps its only until they recruit a replacement for Norman? (Hopefully)

My wife doesn't like living at altitude. Maybe she can find a place in San Bernadino or Banning, while I live up the mountain?

Looking forward to the bug fixes anyway

As am I. As am I.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Some are much more optimistic than I am. I don't think we will see a re-do of season one graphics or a physics 4.0. Actually I 'll be surprised if we get many/or any more tables. Just my gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong though.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Eldar did a great job of answering all those questions. I'll clarify a few.

FarSight employs 25 people I believe. There was a group photo taken of the entire team recently that confirmed this.

Norman retired. He didn't quit, he wasn't forced out. His primary focus was audio, but he was also the person responsible for acquisition of the machines themselves. While he was not the sole decision maker of what tables got picked, he did champion a few he felt very strongly about.

It was said in our BlahCade Pinball Podcast by Norman himself that season 1 outsells all the other seasons. He also stated that Big Shot in one of the most played tables in the game and has been since it was released. A few years back he hinted to me that TPA was getting to a tipping point where revenue from past releases was going to be much more dominate from the monthly new releases, and that was going to sustain them should they venture in other directions. That being said, and again he mentioned this in the podcast, as long as there is demand, FarSight will continue to provide tables. They have a working method and it would be silly to completely abandon it just because.

What will FarSight's focus be in the future? I agree with the speculation that it is with SPA. FarSight has at least 2 paying clients that are public knowledge, Stern and Arcooda. Proper attention to those products is no doubt a priority with monthly releases no longer clogging up the pipeline.

Oh, and Eldar you would not want to live in Banning or San Bernadino. We in SoCal call that area "the land of the dirt people". It's desert living, very rural in feel. Lake Arrowhead is a mountain resort at 5000 ft elevation (compared to Big Bear at 7000) and is a 30 minute drive across the ridge. It gets snow, but not that often (SoCal and rain, not a common combination). Just sayin', that's where I'd send the wife. Or make it a bit longer of a drive and be in Palm Springs. End recruitment pitch.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Farsight still gets significant ongoing sales from the back catalogue. Someone said somewhere that season 1 still outsells each newest season. Because that's still got the most best popular tables, compared to the deep tracks we've been getting lately. There's plenty of Steam users who will still grab anything that goes on sale. Makes sense if downshifting TPA into maintenance mode is still enough to keep the lights on.
I'm sensitive to updates. With the exception of Black Knight, which is broken, I'd rather leave Season One as is, I think. It works, don't do anything that could harm it.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm sensitive to updates. With the exception of Black Knight, which is broken, I'd rather leave Season One as is, I think. It works, don't do anything that could harm it.

Black Knight isn't broken any more (on PC, Android, and iOS at least - plus I assume PS4?). Don't know if they have any plans to release the updated, emulated, version for PS3.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Black Knight isn't broken any more (on PC, Android, and iOS at least - plus I assume PS4?). Don't know if they have any plans to release the updated, emulated, version for PS3.

The update to Xbox One mid Feb didn't include the emulated Black Knight unfortunately, fingers crossed it will for the next release.

I'd argue there's still a few good unlicensed pins to master if licensing costs were an issue, for example:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...d-Top-100-IPDB-Pinside-Tables-still-remaining

Can't believe Humpty Dumpty and Pinball Circus don't get a mention :)

If license costs are less of an issue now they have the Stern agreement, I hope they find a way to make The Shadow, Roller Games, Indiana Jones, Spiderman, Metallica, Lord Of The Rings and The Simpsons Pinball Party. Maybe a couple of curveballs like Jurassic Park, Baywatch, Lethal Weapon 3 and Robocop :)

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...d-Top-100-IPDB-Pinside-Tables-still-remaining

Also can't believe I'm saying this but I actually liked the Kickstarters and will miss those - keeping an eye on how they were doing (refreshing Kiktraq constantly) and reading the boards here to see peoples comments. Hope they still find a way to do a couple of those, and the Kickstarters bought some much needed publicity to the product if nothing else.

Everyone always said Addams Family and Twilight zone would never happen - look where we are now!

Also really liked the early interviews with Bobby King, and the old UI & music - felt like the game lost a little of the classic feel when that changed, oh well.

I'll still continue to buy tables and support Pinball Arcade (and Stern Pinball Arcade) for as long as they exist.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.