Will seasons 1 and 2 get higher resolution textures?

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
Someone here remarked that starting with Season 3, Farsight used much higher resolution textures for the tables -- I don't recall the exact numbers / sizes, but if anyone knows, can they share that info here?

My playfield is a 27" 1440p monitor and the difference between the newer tables (Centigrade 37 for example) and the older ones (Cirqus Voltaire for example) is quite striking. The older tables look kinda... bad... to be honest -- blurry and fuzzy textures whereas the new tables are crystal clear:

ccVl6Zw.jpg

DG4ffyX.jpg

I assume that farsight digitized the real playfields and parts at super high resolution when they disassembled the orginal tables.. surely they don't want to do all that work over again! So if they have very high resolution source images for all tables, could they perhaps go back and update the texture files for the older tables?

I'd be happy to buy a small "HD Pack" add on for a couple bucks for season 1,2 that gives the equivalent (and very beautiful!) high resolution textures used in seasons 3,4,5,6+.

Last edited:

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Unfortunately you will have to wait for your next life.
Thank Buddhism for making this possible.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
fyi newbie...farsights art deparment hate our guts, but screw them anyway.....it would be really nice too see...

im not unhappy with the current model but we can all agree a touch up would be nice...im not much of an art guy but i imagine most pinball are could and should be vectorized....

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
If you have an nVidia GPU and it can handle higher resolutions, try using DSR. No idea if there's an equivalent for AMD GPUs.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
If you have an nVidia GPU and it can handle higher resolutions, try using DSR. No idea if there's an equivalent for AMD GPUs.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Downsampling won't help with textures. Farsight upgraded the digital camera they use to take pics somewhere around like season 3 or 4. I don't think the texture resolution has changed, just the quality of source images they're using to create them.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Downsampling won't help with textures. Farsight upgraded the digital camera they use to take pics somewhere around like season 3 or 4. I don't think the texture resolution has changed, just the quality of source images they're using to create them.
It does help with anything that isn't a texture though, like rails, flippers, etc.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
Oh no, so the source files are locked at that original lower resolution :(

This means they'd need to disassemble the pinballs again (I'm assuming they re-assemble them after digitization?) to get higher resolution textures.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Oh no, so the source files are locked at that original lower resolution :(

This means they'd need to disassemble the pinballs again (I'm assuming they re-assemble them after digitization?) to get higher resolution textures.

lol ill state opinion again. art department hate us, buttt as far as the go to"actual" pin guy id imagine if they gave himthe goto he would happily restrip the machines but i honest doubt mostwereever put back..

btw horror thatblogspretty nifty..i wasnt bored...

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
That's great, not-boredom is my goal!

I hope Farsight can put together a HD texture pack for seasons 1 and 2 because there are some amazing tables in those seasons that just look "meh" compared to later releases.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Given how good the tables are in the early seasons, I think they deserve a refresh on the playfield art. Monster Bash could certainly do with it.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Given how good the tables are in the early seasons, I think they deserve a refresh on the playfield art. Monster Bash could certainly do with it.

I absolutely agree. I think it's too much work. It would be nice to know if it was something that was being considered, especially with the consoles releasing 4K-supported versions. It is bad enough for me on a 32" 1440p monitor, so I can only imagine how it must look on a >60" 4K monitor. It is not so much that the older tables are visually horrendous, but when compared to new tables, it is frustrating to realize what they could look like, and as you stated, these are some of the most highly sought after pins.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I absolutely agree. I think it's too much work. It would be nice to know if it was something that was being considered.

It's been considered and something we do when we have the time. We've recently taken new pictures of several backglasses and we will update those when we can.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Great news. If there is no option to take a picture please consider a redraw. It shouldn't be very hard to improve some of the plastics or apron with some photoshop screw around. It really can't get any worse (monster bash, creature,...).

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Great news. If there is no option to take a picture please consider a redraw. It shouldn't be very hard to improve some of the plastics or apron with some photoshop screw around. It really can't get any worse (monster bash, creature,...).

Black Knight would be a good example of where we would most likely have to recreate the playfield since it's hard to find a table in decent condition. The Phantom of the Opera we have had a lot of damage in between the flippers that we had to clean up. Cleaning up or recreating the playfield however is a lengthy task and why we have only been able to do it on a handful of tables.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Black Knight would be a good example of where we would most likely have to recreate the playfield since it's hard to find a table in decent condition. The Phantom of the Opera we have had a lot of damage in between the flippers that we had to clean up. Cleaning up or recreating the playfield however is a lengthy task and why we have only been able to do it on a handful of tables.

That's true but I really have nothing against a bit of patina or dirt, especially on the older tables. It even gives some authentic feel. Actually the overall look of most tables is fine unless you explore the details.
What I am talking about are the super blurry or low res plastics order inserts, where you think you lost your glasses or just drank a whole bottle of vodka when you look at them. Try to read one of the texts on monster bash or creature...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.