Zen Remastered Williams Announcement!

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
This sounds awesome. Need to check it out as soon as I can. With the latest beta have we got the wild ball back with the classic physics like we had in the first public beta?

I just tried a few plays of Fish Tales. I am a little disappointed as the 'wild ball' isn't present anymore, and rubbers don't seem to be bouncy enough. I can play a lot longer than I can on a real Fish Tales. On the first public beta the ball was pretty crazy like a real pin so it is a shame that has gone (in both arcade and Tourn modes). There is some feedback (some from Ben who I trust) on the Zen forums (to this effect) so hopefully deep will be able to re-tune some more.

Unfortunately there are so many people across the various forums giving feedback and some of them judge the physics on how high a score they can get, which is cr*p. Now Zen have committed to a release date I guess there is little time to nail these physics before the settings get 'locked down'.

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Noticed on the Zen forum that they have announced the beta will end on 24th September. Doesn't say if there will be any changes to the beta between now and then, or if the current beta is the last version with final tweaking done after that.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
[MENTION=340]SilverBalls[/MENTION] just because they release them doesn't mean they can't keep tweaking.

Although that is true in theory if they make a drastic change such as re-introducing the wild ball which makes scoring high tougher, then they in theory need to reset the leaderboards. If they do that then the high-scoring cry babies will be rife, and if they don't reset then others chasing those high scores won't be happy. Personally I don't care about leaderboards initially, I just desire real-life physics.

Deep just posted on the Zen forums that he can tune the physics after the official release, but hopefully he can get back as close as possible to the 'wild ball' gameplay before that release (if anything to avoid the situation above).

re: https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?28224-Ball-Physics&p=103053&posted=1#post103053

Last edited:

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
Although that is true in theory if they make a drastic change such as re-introducing the wild ball which makes scoring high tougher, then they in theory need to reset the leaderboards. If they do that then the high-scoring cry babies will be rife, and if they don't reset then others chasing those high scores won't be happy. Personally I don't care about leaderboards initially, I just desire real-life physics.

Deep just posted on the Zen forums that he can tune the physics after the official release, but hopefully he can get back as close as possible to the 'wild ball' gameplay before that release (if anything to avoid the situation above).

re: https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?28224-Ball-Physics&p=103053&posted=1#post103053

Thanks to the wild TPA leaderboards I generally don't care about high scores either, just the people in my steam friends list.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Unfortunately there are so many people across the various forums giving feedback and some of them judge the physics on how high a score they can get, which is cr*p. Now Zen have committed to a release date I guess there is little time to nail these physics before the settings get 'locked down'.

Yeah this is the biggest issue I'm seeing now too. Based on the latest release I think some of the feedback is getting them to learn towards easier gameplay.

Its still an improvement to TPA but for me the the initial beta release physics were closer to what I'd want to see.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I’m hoping that now the Zen mode version is out, and plays easier like a standard Zen table, that will take care of the voices that have moved the tuning in the wrong direction for classic mode. In the private beta, before the public beta, the ball was even wilder. Granted, the flipper tricks were not as refined, but it was gloriously brutal.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I’ll give it a shot on PS4 when it comes out on the 9th. Would like to see the tables have lighting options to get them darker.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
General question: I know at launch, playing on classic mode did not level your special powers up. I understand that you cannot use bonus powers in classic mode (and I wouldn’t want it any other way) but I would still like to level them up using classic mode. Was this implemented yet, or will i still have to play in regular mode to level up?

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Somebody asked earlier in this thread about $2.99 per table, but $9.99 for the 3-pack, which doesn't make sense. The only thing I can guess, based on the video, is that you can't buy individual tables on anything other than Mac Zen Pinball 2. Any clarification on this?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
General question: I know at launch, playing on classic mode did not level your special powers up. I understand that you cannot use bonus powers in classic mode (and I wouldn’t want it any other way) but I would still like to level them up using classic mode. Was this implemented yet, or will i still have to play in regular mode to level up?

On standard Zen tables does it level up even while playing in Classic? I know they are supposed to, but for some reason I recall not getting any level ups a few times on tables. But yes, I agree that leveling up while playing in Classic would be good.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
If they dim the table and environment at the key moment like they do on the Solo table, I think it’s a real possibility.

I take back all the horrible things I ever said about Zen.

I am intrigued by the idea of doing Zen style versions of the P2K tables, but without the holographic gimmick, isn't RfM just gonna be Zen style AfM with slightly different rules?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I am intrigued by the idea of doing Zen style versions of the P2K tables, but without the holographic gimmick, isn't RfM just gonna be Zen style AfM with slightly different rules?

Essentially. And considering Zen never did a Phantom Menace table, that’d fit in too.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
great to see people opening there minds to all different tables , I`ll be honest , a lot of times over the years Zen have gob smacked me with the tables they have released . Mel did say the first 3 packs will be tables we have already on TPA , so going by that I`d say there will be tables after that , that are not in TPA .:cool:

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I’m really impressed with what Zen has done so far. Talk about picking up the ball and running with it! I’ll pick this up on the Xbox,and possibly Steam also.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.