Thread: Tournament mode for each table

My Devices
    PC, Xbox 360, iPad 3, 3DS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tournament mode for each table

I would like to have a tournament mode for each table available.

That means:
    - no extra balls (only 3 balls)
    - more difficult tilt settings
    - PAPA tournament settings (e.g. removed outlane posts)
    - tweaked awards
    - etc.

Also the tournament mode should have their own leaderboards.
    Because of this, playtime and luck will be decreased and highscores will more reflect your skill.
    Right now, tables like RBION will give you 2-3 extra balls just because of lucky shots. It's not skill based.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by xNiCeGuYx; 08-16-2012 at 09:42 AM.

My Devices
    ipad/iphone/360
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see an idiots mode for me;

That means:
    - ball savers on twice as long
    - twice as many extra balls or replays
    - double extra balls for specials

etc

Seriously thats a good idea, there can be a huge difference between a game where everything goes your way and one where everything heads for the drain.

My Devices
    iPad 4, Xbox 360, PC, Samsung Galaxy Core Prime
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see the option for replays instead of extra ball on special. Some stern tables have a button on the machine for tournament mode, so for the games that support it, I would like to see this included.

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good idea.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which one?

My Devices
    Xbox-360, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know how the tournament button on stern machines change the rules, Maybe if they just follow papa rules?

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, papa rules would be great!

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xNiCeGuYx View Post
    Which one?
    Tournament mode.

My Devices
    PS3, Galaxy Tab, ipad 3, Vita
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this idea given how easy it is to get extra balls

My Devices
    iPad 4, Xbox 360, PC, Samsung Galaxy Core Prime
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they should switch the special to giving credits instead of extra balls. Maybe have the credits used towards something else. On the 360 Black Hole, it seemed too easy to build up extra balls. I definitely want to see the tournament mode too, though.

My Devices
    iPad 3, iPhone 4S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too would like to see tournament modes on all the tables that support it.

While it would be non-trivial to implement, what I'd really like is to be able to access attract mode, from which tournament mode can be enabled on many machines, plus it would allow access to some of the easter eggs as well. Barring that, though, just a toggle in the settings for tournament mode would be great.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in complete agreement. Many of the tables (the older pre-DMD tables even more so) would benefit from making the games shorter and less random when you're actually trying for a high score. They already have plans for tournament and challenge stuff judging by the buttons in the game UI so it would make sense to use a no extra ball mode for those.

My Devices
    iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tournament mode or a no extra ball mode is really needed. I'm starting to get more than 1 hour games and I'm only playing for the wizards goals. As soon as I finish all wizard goals in all tables and start to play for only high scores i'm gonna start getting infinite extra balls and 2 hours plus games in some tables. This makes pinball arcade become a game of resistance and not a game of skill if you achieve a certain level of gameplay skill.
    TOTAN - 202M | RBON - 533M | BH - 1,337M | TOM - 7,052B | BOP - 2,399B | MM - 258M
    FH - 247M | CV - 137M | GG - 1,499M | MB - 1,373B | BK - 3,646M | CBL - 3,580B
    TX - 37,860M | HD - 299M | EL - 38,390M | NGG - 34M | ESS - 51M | BS - 227T
    HALL OF FAME - 9926

My Devices
    Nexus 7 2013, Vita, iPad Mini 2012, Mac Mini 2011, 360, PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love that as well. While Pinball is already one of the quickest games I know in terms of playtime, as you get better, a good game can still last way too long!

My Devices
    PS3, iPad, PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can somebody please explain how come the same tables in Visual Pinball are much harder and I guess closer to the real tables then? Is Farsight catering to the casual gamers???

My Devices
    xbox360, pc
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i'll just copy/paste this here

tournaments + option for a tournament mode to play when desired...

something akin to a hard mode in other games

that'd be really nice
    ---------XBOX360---------
    TOTAN - 270,074,590 , RBION - 320,675,550 , BH - 1,742,550 , TOM - 8,681,535,850 , BoP - 3,258,713,230 , MM - 383,713,850 , FH - 189,584,980 , CV - 164,605,630 , GG - 1,610,310 , MB - 2,983,094,280

My Devices
    iPhone, PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could see 3 modes being the end result. An easy one with 5 balls, extended ball savers etc so a novice can get used to the table. Only local high scores are kept.

Normal mode, which is what we have now. only local high scores kept. But it is where you unlock Tournament mode (complete standard goals, some wizard goals feel near impossible to perform).

And a Tournament mode which for me is the only place that your scores should be compared to others (though I still think it should only be compared to others on the same platform, or be able to be filtered this way).
    Last edited by Dumpstar; 08-16-2012 at 09:08 PM.

My Devices
    Xbox One
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpstar View Post
    some wizard goals feel near impossible to perform
    You probably aren't ready for competitive tournament play then. In fact, I think having to complete all the table goals is a great prerequisite to unlocking tournament mode access on a given table.
    Xbox LIVE Gamertag: CRIPPLODOCUS

My Devices
    PC
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Debes View Post
    You probably aren't ready for competitive tournament play then. In fact, I think having to complete all the table goals is a great prerequisite to unlocking tournament mode access on a given table.
    Tournaments generally have multiple skill divisions. You do not need to be a world-class player to enjoy competitive pinball. Limiting the tournament field to those who have completed the wizard goals on a given table excludes an entire class of players, and perhaps the vast majority in a case like RBION's Atlantis and Frog Frenzy goals. If a limitation is desired, maybe the "A" division could require all wizard goals on all its tables, but the other divisions should not have such restrictions. Personally, I don't think the "A" division should either. You can see my high scores below; while I'm obviously not the best here, it should also be obvious I'm not a novice either. I don't have the Atlantis goal checked off. Would you exclude me from a tournament that had RBION as one of its tables because of that?
    See the Lost in the Zone blog for my high score list, as well as more opinion, commentary, and observations on both physical and virtual pinball.

My Devices
    PS4 & Switch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenseven View Post
    I don't have the Atlantis goal checked off. Would you exclude me from a tournament that had RBION as one of its tables because of that?
    Hell yes, I don't want no scrubs in my league

On a serious note,

- 3 levels of play for solo play where possible (not all tables will be able to allow for that). Leaderboard listings for both Normal and Wizard mode
    - top level is called Wizard mode and is the hardest setting possible for the table. Think incline, number of balls, no extra balls or specials, brutal outlanes (all depends on ROMs whats possible)
    - Tournaments can be run on all 3 levels (complication: how do you prevent an A-level player to join a C-tournament).
    Last edited by bavelb; 08-17-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    Currently playing:
    Dragon Quest 11
    Pinball FX3

My Devices
    iPhone, PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Debes View Post
    Ah but when your only playing on the iphone 4, nudging is just too hard at times. I seem to only want to ever nudge with my right hand, thus the nudge is always the same way, if I have a joystick it would be so much easier to nudge when I want.

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenseven View Post
    Tournaments generally have multiple skill divisions. You do not need to be a world-class player to enjoy competitive pinball. Limiting the tournament field to those who have completed the wizard goals on a given table excludes an entire class of players, and perhaps the vast majority in a case like RBION's Atlantis and Frog Frenzy goals. If a limitation is desired, maybe the "A" division could require all wizard goals on all its tables, but the other divisions should not have such restrictions. Personally, I don't think the "A" division should either. You can see my high scores below; while I'm obviously not the best here, it should also be obvious I'm not a novice either. I don't have the Atlantis goal checked off. Would you exclude me from a tournament that had RBION as one of its tables because of that?
    Go figure, I've gotten Atlantis and Frog Frenzy twice, but still haven't beaten MM for the kingdom or video mode! I think having multiple divisions would be a good idea, but there is the potential for people to dump their save file so they can compete and clean up at a lower level. Just sayin'. Don't know how you'd sort that out.
    I'm just sayin'

official BlahCade Pinball Podcast website blahcadepinball.com/episodes

subscribe to BlahCade Pinball Podcast on YouTube

buy BlahCade t-shirt at RedBubble.com

play with me on PSN, iOS, and Steam: shutyertrap

follow me on Twitter: @shutyertraps or @BlahCade

My Devices
    PS4 & Switch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
    Go figure, I've gotten Atlantis and Frog Frenzy twice, but still haven't beaten MM for the kingdom or video mode! I think having multiple divisions would be a good idea, but there is the potential for people to dump their save file so they can compete and clean up at a lower level. Just sayin'. Don't know how you'd sort that out.
    Or for them to just play on a fresh account, ie "smurfing", and ruin it for those who are actually on the level of that league/division/tournament level. I think in the end you should just go with 1 level and setting of tournament.
    Currently playing:
    Dragon Quest 11
    Pinball FX3

My Devices
    iPad, iPhone, Mac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the new Kickstarterfor ST:TNG mention a Pro version. the last Kickstarter only said you would get a version with access to the OM. since they have decided to call it the Pro version, maybe the testing with OM have fallen well out? I remember them mentioning TZ would be a test when it comes to OM, so maybe I'm getting a head of things, but I really hope so. I would gladly pay to get a Pro version (OM access) of all the tables.

GC GJARNLING

My Devices
    PS4 & Switch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gjarnling View Post
    the new Kickstarterfor ST:TNG mention a Pro version. the last Kickstarter only said you would get a version with access to the OM. since they have decided to call it the Pro version, maybe the testing with OM have fallen well out? I remember them mentioning TZ would be a test when it comes to OM, so maybe I'm getting a head of things, but I really hope so. I would gladly pay to get a Pro version (OM access) of all the tables.
    I doubt they are in that stage of development for TZ. The Pro version rewards do seem to acctract the most pledgers. The 50/100 dollar pledges have almost as many backers as the 10 dollar one, and certainly bring up more money than it. I'd like Operator Menu access as well, I just don't like it enough to pay 40 dollars for it (apart from not having 40 dollars extra to spare after the vacation hehe).
    Currently playing:
    Dragon Quest 11
    Pinball FX3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast