The outlanes are killing me...

farmerjohn

Jun 16, 2012
I really love this table, but sometimes it seems that every shot
seems to find its way to the outlanes. So is it just me and my
lack of skill or is this table just outlane-happy?

Stormchild

Jun 24, 2012

I have the exact same impression. Monster Bash is considered a very generously easy table by most pinheads, but I find the Pinball Arcade version very frustrating so far. The inability to use most advanced flipper techniques to control the ball makes it that much worse.

I do like the table layout and ruleset — it's a great design — but I'm not having a lot of fun with the virtual version so far. I've had a couple lucky games (my max score is somewhere around 330 million), but I feel like it's a lot more to do with luck than skill. It's a bit of a flailfest for the most part.

Shearie

Apr 8, 2012
The Monster Bash table at my local mall is even more outlane drain heavy than the PA version. It's a great machine to waste 50¢ in 2 minutes on.

David Smith

Feb 28, 2012

The outlanes on this game are tough, but they are fair. You need to be very selective of your shots to avoid likely outlane or SDTM drains:

- Don't shoot for Drac during single-ball Drac Attack. Ever. Make sure you can start a multiball mode in conjunction with it. Drac is a drain-monster.
- NEVER shoot for Frankenstein from a trapped right flipper shot, it's an almost guaranteed SDTM drain. It's a pretty safe shot from a trapped ball on the left flipper, or use your start-of-ball ball-saver for some safe shots.
- Practice catches from the Creature kickout. You can usually safely trap on the left flipper. Don't go for the live shot.
- Practice catches from the Concert scoop. If you hold the left flipper, you can get a live, but fairly safe, shot from the right flipper.
- Shots for the Mosh Pit lane are tricky, but a bank shot off the Drac standups is usually safer (and can be looped).

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Absolutely agree with David here. Farmerjohn, I was hopeless, but just practiced. Lots. As you get more confident, you get to know where trapping is easy, making control of the ball much easier......

Have a watch of this from PAPA. It really helps

http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/monster-bash/

I'm sure Pin Wiz will pop this link, or a similar one, on his main news post....

mbob

Jun 15, 2012
Circus Voltaire is the only one I think has unfair outlanes at the moment. Monster bash gets me but not as bad and Bride of Pin only seems really bad if your in metamorph mode for whatever reason and miss the timed shots. Then then outlanes get me every time.

Supermans

Jun 19, 2012
What happened to Circus Voltaire? It used to be fun, now it drains almost everytime to the rightside. Did Farsight make a structural change last update?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
What happened to Circus Voltaire? It used to be fun, now it drains almost everytime to the rightside. Did Farsight make a structural change last update?

Yes, they opted for "accuracy" over fun. I guess they got it right, because I now ignore the machine just as I did in real life, so... good job FarSight.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
The outlanes on this game are tough, but they are fair. You need to be very selective of your shots to avoid likely outlane or SDTM drains:
- NEVER shoot for Frankenstein from a trapped right flipper shot, it's an almost guaranteed SDTM drain. It's a pretty safe shot from a trapped ball on the left flipper, or use your start-of-ball ball-saver for some safe shots.

I find the opposite of this to be true. Almost every single time I hit frank from the left flipper, it shoots into the right outlane. From a trapped flipper shot, if you hit directly between both targets, the ball with drain down the middle. However, if you get good at outsides sides of the two Frank targets, it is pretty safe. I have just been aiming at the loop to the left of Frank. Sometimes you will tap the outside left Frank target and go around the loop as well, otherwise, you just hit the loop and you are good to go.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I'm wondering how people are faring with nudging the ball out of the drain areas slightly above the outlanes? I find it quite difficult to time but had some small success with it. I also agree with the main points from Dave and would add that the kick-out from the scoop shot can be safely catched with both flippers up. It will ricochet from the left to the right flipper and won't need to be handled as a live ball there, you can trap it easily. This was the way for me to get Lyman's Lament.
Slam23

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
This was the way for me to get Lyman's Lament.
Slam23

Wait! You actually hit the scoop 44 times in one ball?!

Update: I did it!!!!! You don't need to do it in one ball. The wording in the instructions mean the scoops are not being counted during multiball, otherwise, just keep going even after losing your ball. Whew!

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Wow, that would have been a true wizard's goal if you had to do it in one ball! :) congrats on reaching the Lament. Unfortunately I lost the game quite soon after reaching it, supposedly there is commentary by Lyman himself on how you play or the shots that you make?
Slam23

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Wow, that would have been a true wizard's goal if you had to do it in one ball! :) congrats on reaching the Lament. Unfortunately I lost the game quite soon after reaching it, supposedly there is commentary by Lyman himself on how you play or the shots that you make?
Slam23
Lyman's voice will taunt you, saying things like "you have no idea how much trouble you're in", "big drain coming up", "this ball wants out soooo bad", etc. The better you play the less he'll speak, he only talks when nothing else much is going on.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Thanks for the info, sounds a little aggravating.... :rolleyes:
Now I'll wait for the bugfix that wil recognize my special that I keep scoring, then I'll have completed all wizard goals.
Slam23

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.