Should Farsight get rid of the pause feature in TPA?

Should Farsight get rid of the pause feature in TPA?

• Total voters

invitro

May 4, 2012
One of their employees, RSchwantner, said "I've been trying to push for no more pause function at all. Can't pause a real table."
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...ategy-thread-)?p=216696&viewfull=1#post216696

EDIT: Oops, he was just joking, and I got fooled...
"Haha he was only joking
wink.png
Even if pausing during the roll can give some people an edge, were not going to take it out and we couldn't even if we wanted to per Test requirements for every platform." - FlippyFloppy
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...ategy-thread-)?p=216711&viewfull=1#post216711

Last edited:

Maggie

Jan 8, 2015
The pause function is huge. Without it, I would play less because I'd hate to lose a big game if I got interrupted with a phone call or something. Being able to pause means I know that even if something comes up, I won't have to drop a big game.

suffocater

Apr 4, 2015
To be honest, I would hate to lose this feature, because of its incredible convinience. BUT I have to admit that without it, it would be much more a simulation.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
I guess on PC you could just force a key down to cradle the ball over night or similar if there was no possibility to pause, but on phones/pads you're screwed. I agree games get too long, but IF that problem should be fixed it should be done another way - difficulty settings, reduce nudge severely etc.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
There should be some inherit beneficial features of a digital version - pause is one of them. In fact make it even better - if you pause a game too long or switch apps ( on iOS) it restarts the TPA software and you lose your game.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Life happens; and Pinball is just a game.

If my boss calls me at the weekend or on a day off, I'd better be answering that phone.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
There's a pause feature??? Everytime I pause on my iPad, the darn app relaunches when I wake it back up.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I guess on PC you could just force a key down to cradle the ball over night or similar if there was no possibility to pause, but on phones/pads you're screwed. I agree games get too long, but IF that problem should be fixed it should be done another way - difficulty settings, reduce nudge severely etc.

It's possible to work something out on phones/ipads as well. You can put a stylus pen with the rubber touch thing down on flipper area on touchscreen and have it hold up the flipper and if you put some support around it, it stays like that and you can leave it over night or something.

-

I didn't vote because my opinion is that pause maybe shouldn't be removed but changed somehow, I don't exactly know how though.

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
No, as unreal as it is, it also falls in line with the traditional pause feature of home gaming that has been prevalent since the mid 80's. In that case you were able to do something you couldn't with an arcade game. I understand the sentiment but leave it in the hands of the user if they want to have it or not.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Did you know that there is a pause function on some real pins too? I found this description on a site that reviews Twilight Zone: "Mute and Pause function – Have you ever been in the middle of a great game of pinball, only to have the phone ring? Well, Twilight Zone, now has a feature to allow you to pause your game. Catch the ball on a flipper then tap the Extra Ball button. The flipper will be held, and the game will go silent. To resume play, hold in the flipper button and tap the Extra Ball button again. (The game will resume automatically after 15 minutes.) This function can be disabled by a new adjustment, “MUTE & PAUSE OK.”
I don't know if there are more examples out there?

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
The ones that said yes have to say yes to everything. Just like that in that one movie

Yes.

Sorry,couldn't resist. :)
For the record - my vote is no,of course. Unless you are battling online in mulilplayer mode. (If we ever get it)

invitro

May 4, 2012
Did you know that there is a pause function on some real pins too? I found this description on a site that reviews Twilight Zone: "Mute and Pause function – Have you ever been in the middle of a great game of pinball, only to have the phone ring? Well, Twilight Zone, now has a feature to allow you to pause your game. Catch the ball on a flipper then tap the Extra Ball button. The flipper will be held, and the game will go silent. To resume play, hold in the flipper button and tap the Extra Ball button again. (The game will resume automatically after 15 minutes.) This function can be disabled by a new adjustment, “MUTE & PAUSE OK.”
Well, I don't remember knowing about this, so I thought maybe you were reading about some custom ROM. But sure enough, it exists, in the home ROM (9.4H). goggle gave many refs, here's one:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roms/twilight.html

(This page also has some pretty nice "release notes" for the various ROM versions.)

I can't find mention of a pause feature on any other game, though.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I actually have a weird self-imposed rule about game pausing. Only time I walk away from a paused game is when the ball is in the trough. In my own mind, you can't pause a real table so I don't pause the digital ones. By no means should the feature be removed, though. Just personal preference!

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013

This alone would make TPA soooooo much better and more realistic.

tenparts

Aug 1, 2015
The thing is, not having a pause feature is a requirement of the arcade environment. Really, there oughta be a pause feature for private use in the test menus of pinball and video arcade games; with pinball, maybe you could press the/a service button to lock flippers in place.

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
I'm sorry this has been a running joke I bring up from time to time in the office.
No plans of removing pause at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.