Is it just me or does ripley's. Look like crap

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Are you talking about the layout of the table or the way the actual graphics are rendered? This table looks crystal clear on my tv and the layout is great IMO.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I think it looks fantastic, especially compared to the iOS version. On my iPad I have no idea what light are on and which are off, even on the 3x3 grid, but on the 360 it's very easy to tell what I have to shoot for, which makes a gigantic difference. It also looks much more atmospheric than on iOS, where it just looks flat and dull. I have completely stopped playing TPA on my iPad, I'd rather play just the 4 TPA tables on 360 (plus the PHOF ones which also looks better than the iOs versions in my opinion).

Considering the artstyle, Ripleys certainly is... unusual. It's not a "pretty" table like ToTAN or ToM are, but I really like its wacky, campy design and the erratic layout. It's like a kids toy box turned into a pinball. That's what I generally love about Pat Lawlors designs - they are just so asymetrical and odd.

Gail R Schwartz

Jun 26, 2012
Ripley's

Hi sly. I am playing on a CRT tv. It looks like crap on mine . Maybe u can't tell on a hi-def tv. But I just got done playing it. I still don't like the way it looks to jaggy? Is that my tv or what? U said yours was fine?.

Gail R Schwartz

Jun 26, 2012
Hi. I am playing on a 12 yr old CRT. MAybe that is my problem also u said it is not a pretty table. That could be the other problem. I was playing the others for hours but ripley's i didn't enjoy playing. I guess it is just me. So far 2 of u like the way it is?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Hi sly. I am playing on a CRT tv. It looks like crap on mine . Maybe u can't tell on a hi-def tv. But I just got done playing it. I still don't like the way it looks to jaggy? Is that my tv or what? U said yours was fine?.

It is definitely your TV. The Pinball Arcade's native resolution is 1080p which your CRT TV does not support, so you're viewing The Pinball Arcade at a much lower resolution.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Guys? have u tried the HDMI cable ? Every game on the PS3 with HDMI being used is considerable better looking with HD , I was a skeptic of this too , but literally you get not only clearer pictures , but more details including the PS3 loading screen when you boot up, there are stars and sparkles you'd never know was in the PS3 boot screen. I used to play on 15' Sony Wega flatscreen , and with a HD tv and HDMI all the world of difference.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Guys? have u tried the HDMI cable ? Every game on the PS3 with HDMI being used is considerable better looking with HD , I was a skeptic of this too , but literally you get not only clearer pictures , but more details including the PS3 loading screen when you boot up, there are stars and sparkles you'd never know was in the PS3 boot screen. I used to play on 15' Sony Wega flatscreen , and with a HD tv and HDMI all the world of difference.

ISn't that because HD is only possibly through the HDMI on the PS3, so any other cable will cause SD resolution.

Last edited:

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
xbox360 has a very good vga and composite out, so you don't have to use hdmi to get the best results -> the difference between vga and hdmi on my 24 inch 1080p monitor is that hdmi is slightly, and i mean SLIGHTLY sharper... plus xbox has a built in scaler, so your tv/monitor never suffers from additional input lag when the tv's resolution is lower than the games native resolution - unlike ps3 :(

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
xbox360 has a very good vga and composite out, so you don't have to use hdmi to get the best results -> the difference between vga and hdmi on my 24 inch 1080p monitor is that hdmi is slightly, and i mean SLIGHTLY sharper... plus xbox has a built in scaler, so your tv/monitor never suffers from additional input lag when the tv's resolution is lower than the games native resolution - unlike ps3 :(

Yea but the guy I replied to mentioned the PS3, so hence my remark about HDMI vs SD-cables. Editted my reply to make this clearer :). My 360 was hooked up through VGA (because the first SKU had no HDMI output) for 5 years and worked fine indeed, so I knew about that option.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I've always thought Ripleys didn't look as good as the other tables, on ios and 360, like it uses a limmited colour palet. Its probably how the table itself looks though.

Ozzpot

May 5, 2012
It's looks great here. 40" 1080p Samsung LED TV, connected to Xbox 360 via HDMI.

I don't really like the table however.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I've always thought Ripleys didn't look as good as the other tables, on ios and 360, like it uses a limmited colour palet. Its probably how the table itself looks though.
Ripley's is not exactly a thing of beauty in real life, either. But considering the table's subject matter - freaks and oddities - maybe that makes sense.

Chris6210

Jul 27, 2012
No, I have recently played the real table and other than a couple of different pics on the table (maybe the game is an older version?) it looks perfect.
It is actually now my favorite table because I have easy access to the real thing.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
No, I have recently played the real table and other than a couple of different pics on the table (maybe the game is an older version?) it looks perfect.
It is actually now my favorite table because I have easy access to the real thing.
I was not a big fan of this until I played it in real life. Now it's the table I play the most.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I was not a big fan of this until I played it in real life. Now it's the table I play the most.

It's the table thats hardest to master, with the most things to do and different mode stacking possibilities. I can see it's lower rating on ipdb because it's a fairly high entry barrier before you have any clue on what to hit for at first, but once you do the game opens up.

Members online

Members online