Round 2: Q & A With Bobby King Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Bobby King: "I finally got a chance to answer the latest questions. I wish that I had better answers for some of these, but here what I got....I apologize for the delay in answering. I appreciate these questions and all of you guys and wanted to have more substantive answers. But I couldn’t hold off any longer, so here’s what I can say as of today."

1.) Are any physics updates coming soon to make the ball/flipper interaction more realistic?

The flipper physics update will be coming, but not soon. It will probably not start to be phased in until the September update at the earliest. Plus, and I'm just guessing, but we probably won't make new flipper physics active on all tables all at once. Each table will have to be tuned and tested before any physics are overhauled. We worked on this a lot during the end of 2011 and I know what we need to do. I was disappointed that we had to take out some features, but they weren't ready. We'll get them back in and perfected.

2.) How does the 55K for The Twilight Zone compare to newer licenses such as AC/DC, Tron, etc. ?

Rock group themed tables with a bunch of songs are tough to compare to any other licensing effort. Every band we’ve contacted wants 20%+, and that’s just for the group with no music.

Luckily for Stern Pinball, music publishers and the rights holders to the recordings are more reasonable when it comes to real pinball machines. Having a physical pinball machine licensed is considered a “vanity” project. Mobile devices and video games are categorized differently than pinball. The guarantees (money up front) aren't the major problem. It's the royalties on the backend that make it unrealistic financially. That said, we haven't approached AC/DC or Disney (for Tron) because we currently can’t emulate Stern’s latest hardware. We have made some progress in this area though – so there’s hope for getting more recent Stern tables in the future.

3.) Will we see a free roaming camera mode so we can zoom in and better appreciate and study the artwork and table designs? How about a screenshot capability?

Yes, we will put in a free roaming camera at some point that will be accessible from the Table Menu and the Plunger Camera view. We haven’t looked into adding a screenshot feature.

4.) In terms of lighting, are there any plans for adding "day" and "night" modes?

Yes, we are planning to add day and night mode lighting. Currently on mobile, this would require twice the textures for each table and we don’t have the bandwidth in our art staff to do this for every table at the moment. Our goal is to support real-time lighting on all platforms. before we go back and re-visit this. I envision a slider on the Table Menu so you can select where you prefer the lighting between

5.) Are the commercial results of The Pinball Arcade so far on par with your expectations?

Our biggest fear was that we’d get lost in all of the other games and apps that are distributed digitally. Thankfully, we’ve gotten past that with a lot of support from the first parties.

Once we start rolling out more tables on console, I think we’ll be able to better determine just how well we’re going.

I asked Jay Obernolte (the president of FarSight) to weigh in on this question.

From Jay:
“To be honest, we really didn’t know what to expect. We love making pinball games and we hoped the Pinball Arcade would be successful enough to let us go on making several tables every month. Although the game Is not profitable for us yet, it’s doing well enough to pay its own way in terms of ongoing expenses (which is very gratifying). Also we’re very encouraged by the fact that for each of the past few months we’ve sold more tables than the month before, which means we’re reaching more people every month and introducing pinball to a whole new generation of people who might never have become pinball fans except for the Pinball Arcade. That makes us feel really good about what we’re doing.”

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks to bobby and jay for getting our questions answered and to Jeff for managing the process. It is good I hear they are at least breaking even. I imagine once PC and other platforms get supported And Xbox gets dlc the profits will start rolling in a bit. Plus once more bugs are fixed and dlc is more consistent it should boost consumer confidence.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Luckily for Stern Pinball, music publishers and the rights holders to the recordings are more reasonable when it comes to real pinball machines.

Is this part of the reason we got Creature from the Black Lagoon (which has some licensed music, but instrumental)? I hope this bodes well for Party Animal, Party Zone, and High Speed II as well.

If you are allowed to say so, I'm curious if you approched anyone for T2? If so, how reasonable (or unreasonable) was Arnold?

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Glad he was able to answer us. It's nice to know there will eventually be day/night tables, and that they're working on flipper mechanics.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Thank you both for talking with us and providing some insight into your goals. I look forward to each new release and advances in the engine which could not have been done with a disc based game. I hope TPA does become profitable to keep that flow of new tables coming as long as possible.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks to Bobby and Jay for taking time out of their busy day to answer a few of our questions. Looking forward to Round 3.

N

Nik Barbour

Thanks for answering the questions guy's!

Excited about the flipper / physics revisions in the future, but a little concerned we get to that future after Jay's reply.
I thought it should easily be in profit now due to having generated so much interest already.
I'm hoping this project runs and runs, hopefully spanning onto newer platforms as they are introduced.
I'm having such a great time with this - playing my favourite tables, and discovering one's I never played.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Thanks for the answers!

"Also we’re very encouraged by the fact that for each of the past few months we’ve sold more tables than the month before, which means we’re reaching more people every month and introducing pinball to a whole new generation of people who might never have become pinball fans except for the Pinball Arcade."

This sort of growth is very important in my opinion. I'm also pretty certain that that's where their plans to bring this to as many platforms as possible will pay off, even if this adds a lot of initial woes. Get them all: Console gamers, portable gamers, smartphone owners, Mac/PC owners... At this point it's quite hard to not own a device that runs (or will run) TPA ;)

Last edited:
F

Franky

i know it's always the same but if they really manage to bring the cabinet view the money will start rolling in. For a well made "cabinet-mode-table" - people will pay easily 20 Dollars for each table made. And this is exactly what they can do - they can make and offer each table seperatly as a "cabinet version". This will bring a few advantages:

1. they can sell each table made for 20 (or even for 50 dollars) as a special deluxe cabinet version (no other views included - just the plain cabinet table)
2. it is way easier to program and offer each table serperatly as "cabinet version" dlc than integrate a cabinet view into all existing dlcs
3. many, many, many, many people would buy these single tables for the higher price
4. taking the lead (far far far ahead) on the digital pinball market forever.

this is what i would suggest farsight if they where my clients - for a good reason - because if farsight just integrates a cabinet view into all tables - then they have a lot of work but won't make that much extra money out of it - it would be almost like unpaid work. Of course they would take the lead and many more people would buy the game - but they won't get the money they could get - which is a big loss - because it's a big difference if i sell two tables for 5 dollars or one table for 40 dollars.
And another big advantage of this model is - nobody gets ripped off - not the customer nor farsight - it stays a fair game - because farsight would still deliver two tables for 5 dollars for all the casual pinball fans out there (just like they do right now) and a special "cabinet version" of each table for 40 dollars. so the customer can choose how much money they want to spend and farsight is not working for free.
Don't forget - the cabinet view will be included for all tables in every dlc BUT most of the people won't use it because they aren't going to build a cabinet or don't want to turn the tv all the time, etc... etc... (so the effort of building such a mode is wasted) so it will be important to charge more money for the extra version - the less customers the more i need to earn to make it pay off and a well made cabinet table is VERY close to the original table so the higher price for this deluxe version would be ok for everybody who wants to build a cabinet.
And one more thing - from my experience as a professional - having an extra deluxe cabinet table NEXT to the regular dlcs have MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more impact on public relation than having just a cabinet view added to the existing ones - this is what we call "underwater money". It means you will make more money with a new feature but far less then you could make selling it seperatly.
of course it's a double-edged sword - sometimes the companies are to greedy and the extra feature or addon sold seperatly isn't strong enough to justify the extra price but in this case - a very close to the real thing mode which can be used in a real cabinet - would and will justify the 40 Dollars easily.

i could talk about this things forever but i better stop now my english is not good enoug to express it properly and long posts are boring anyway - but take it as a free advice.

Franky

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks for answering the questions guy's!

Excited about the flipper / physics revisions in the future, but a little concerned we get to that future after Jay's reply.
I thought it should easily be in profit now due to having generated so much interest already.
I'm hoping this project runs and runs, hopefully spanning onto newer platforms as they are introduced.
I'm having such a great time with this - playing my favourite tables, and discovering one's I never played.

Don't forget that developers have to recoup the development costs for the core game and each table they make before they can begin to turn a profit and since the game has only been out for five months (with a few platforms still awaiting releases), I wouldn't expect them to be turning a profit just yet. However, it is encouraging to know that the ongoing expenses are paying for themselves meaning that they are not adding onto the development costs and other expenses that they are currently trying to recoup. By the end of the year, The Pinball Arcade should be doing just fine for FarSight.

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Great! I am realy looking forward for the better ball physics. Freeroaming camera is also nice! Now, I just want my xbox dlc tables! :(

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Oh, and just something I thought of, considering the "dlc free bugfix month" - the more tables they get out the more they can actually sell, and the bigger the backlog gets. I'm certain that once people start enjoying TPA, actually buying each and every table at some point is quite likely, not to mention that 360 and Mac haven't had any DLC yet (and PC isn't out at all), which is quite a nice chunk of additional revenue yet to come.

night

May 18, 2012
Great to hear about the 'day and night' mode, that will bring a whole new dimension to the tables. A slider is smart! Looking forward to the next pack of tables.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Bobby King:Our biggest fear was that we’d get lost in all of the other games and apps that are distributed digitally. Thankfully, we’ve gotten past that with a lot of support from the first parties.

Once we start rolling out more tables on console, I think we’ll be able to better determine just how well we’re going.

I asked Jay Obernolte (the president of FarSight) to weigh in on this question.

From Jay:
“To be honest, we really didn’t know what to expect. We love making pinball games and we hoped the Pinball Arcade would be successful enough to let us go on making several tables every month. Although the game Is not profitable for us yet, it’s doing well enough to pay its own way in terms of ongoing expenses (which is very gratifying). Also we’re very encouraged by the fact that for each of the past few months we’ve sold more tables than the month before, which means we’re reaching more people every month and introducing pinball to a whole new generation of people who might never have become pinball fans except for the Pinball Arcade. That makes us feel really good about what we’re doing.”

Once the XBOX and PS3 systems catch up with the mobile devices they should start to see a massive increase in their turn over every month, as as it stands atm they aren't getting the capatial from either of the consoles yet due to the fact that they have fallen sooo far behind the mobile devices.

On this note what was the last up to date date given for the 360 DLC release??

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Once the XBOX and PS3 systems catch up with the mobile devices they should start to see a massive increase in their turn over every month, as as it stands atm they aren't getting the capatial from either of the consoles yet due to the fact that they have fallen sooo far behind the mobile devices.

On this note what was the last up to date date given for the 360 DLC release??

By mid-July for the first 3 packs, mid-August for pack 4.

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
I really think you (FarSight) need to re-evaluate your pricing structure. I am a consumer, and not a rich one, but I honestly think your pricing is far too low for the product you are producing.

I think the phone and tab markets are within the price range they should be, those playing on those platforms never like to dish out cash when there are so many products offered for 99 cents.

However, in the console and portable markets (Vita / DS), I believe you should double your price. I would pay 10 bucks for a single table and think it is worth it, but 10 bucks for two tables, now that's a bargain if you ask me. The $4.99 price tag seems far too low to me for two tables.

Unfortunately, now that you have set that standard for pricing, it would be difficult to change it. So I believe you should really consider and re-consider what you will be charging for special tables and special content. I believe that any table, such as The Twilight Zone, which was a direct result of a kickstart program, should carry a premium price and be sold as an individual table with a price tag no less then 10 bucks. In addition, I think that Cabinet View tables for the PC should be sold as separate, individual packages, at a premium price. Consumers will have the option to buy the regular table 2 packs but if they want a Cab Version, it should be sold as a single table DLC with a premium price tag of at least 20 bucks. These tables should also support coin activation and fit into existing formats for Cabs in that they should integrate into existing interfaces .... such as the scrolling through of tables in main menus.

Don't sell yourself short FarSight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.