Virtuapin

karl

May 10, 2012
I was thinking about buying one of those good looking 42" cabinets from the virtuapin site, but after playing mm, tom, totan, whitewater and The shadow tonight at a local bar, I'm not sure. Been playing all of them in VP and having a good time but playing the real thing is just so damn much better. You all know that of course, but it is always a matter of space and maintenance also. I reckon I could get 3 of those for the price of a virtupin from Noah. I love the look of it, but 6000$ + 1000$ in transportation and probably another 1500$ in vat once it arrives in Norway total up to a lot of money. Have not seen vp with backglass and a good function dmd before but it should be a lot better than the desktop pc version, And there is always the possibility that pinball arcade will be working on those beauties in a short while. What to do?

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
I would love to try a hyperpin cab like this in person one day, to see if it would be worth it to me to build one of my own. The ones they sell on the site you linked look awesome, just not sure about $7000 worth of awesome. :) Wish there was a store somewhere near me (in MD) with a showroom with these.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I would love to try a hyperpin cab like this in person one day, to see if it would be worth it to me to build one of my own. The ones they sell on the site you linked look awesome, just not sure about $7000 worth of awesome. :) Wish there was a store somewhere near me (in MD) with a showroom with these.
Wish I had known about these guys 2 months ago when I was getting set to visit Michigan. Mental note made for the next time...

Tabe

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
If you can afford real tables, and have the space for it, get real tables.
That's good advice. Take it. People who have cabinets build it themselves (or repurpose a broken beyond repair real machine cabinet), therefore it costs only a fraction of what a ready-made one costs. They'd never pay the 5-7 grand many dealers ask for, because if they had that much money, they'd buy a real machine.

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
That's good advice. Take it. People who have cabinets build it themselves (or repurpose a broken beyond repair real machine cabinet), therefore it costs only a fraction of what a ready-made one costs. They'd never pay the 5-7 grand many dealers ask for, because if they had that much money, they'd buy a real machine.

And if you are afraid of getting bored of a limited variety, you can swap them out like most retrogamers do with their collection. If you maintain them well they will keep their value (if not go up). Not something I can afford or would want to deal with personally (especially the swapping/transporting/maintaining bit) and TPA is close enough for me, but if it's your passion, run with it I say.

karl

May 10, 2012
Thanks for all your good points. Have to sell my car first before I can afford anything (Going to do that anyway, but will have some extra cash then) Only room for one Pinball table were I currently live. It would really be a blast to play Pinball Arcade on a good cabinet when it is available but I do get a headache just thinking about setting up Future pinball and Visual pinball on a cabinet. Not a technical dude. Got them to work on my pc just fine, but looking at all those frontends, backglass options, instruction card, hyperpin setups, preview videos etc, makes my head hurt). Of course there is no competition with a real pinball table, but there is at least 10-20 future pinball tables I really enjoy (only problem is the feel of the flippers) and another 30-40 great Visual pinball tables. There is also the hassle of finding a real table in good condition. Not many good ones here in Oslo for sale and if something pops up it's gone pretty quick, but I am probably leaning towards a real one. If anyone lives close by and desperately want to get rid of their TZ, TNG, MM, TAF, Indy, afm or MB please let me know ;)

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
These Raspberry Pi things got enough grunt to run a small table top one?

Maybe for some of the EM tables, but anything more complicated will choke, for sure. The loaner computer I've been using to power mine (which is also a table-top) has dual 1.8 CPU, and a GPU with 512 RAM. Most tables work reasonably well, but it becomes borderline unplayable during more involved light shows and/or multiball.

And karl, don't be discouraged out of trying to build your own based on setting up VP and FP. It's really not that much more complicated than it is for desktop. A good way to keep things easy is to stick to the B2S tables (which are growing in popularity over UVP) because they're just as easy to set up as normal tables. That, plus Hyperpin (which although finicky, is a piece of cake once you get the hang of it) and you're on your way.

I know *nothing* about woodworking, but I was able to put something pretty nice together by studying the build threads people put up on the hyperspin forums.

bdaley6509

Apr 30, 2012
Just picked mine up yesterday from Virtuapin. Took a little over 3 weeks to build. The thing is awesome. I'll get some pics up when I get it all set up. I got the first one that he put a real dmd in via PinDMD and it looks amazing. I have 4 pins now, including AC/DC, Tron, and IM. If I ever have to sell, the VP will be the last to go.

countcb

Jul 16, 2012
My wallet decided I should take baby steps, so I ordered the new Pinball Wizard from http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=71 . Looks rather nice if your ask me with that lockdown bar. It is probably just a stepping stone on the path to something bigger though :) Anyone tried this one yet?

Did you receive yours yet? Can you tell us how aweseom it is? :D
reports, images, videos :)

Would love to know if this thing is compatible with ps3... but I'm not going to order one just to find out it's not...
No info available on the internet since even the maker of this thing does not know if it will work with ps3 :(

karl

May 10, 2012
bddaley6509 you are a lucky person. Would love to see that one in action. Pictures please :p (and that new dmd must be sweet) witch size did you go for? Been on holiday but just got word from the post office that my pinball wizard is waiting for me. Took 3 days from order until shipment and only 8 days to get from USA - Norway. The only bummer is vat and other costs (makes it 100$ more expensive). I sold my ps 3 a couple of months ago so can not check if it works on it. Sorry. Will try it out tomorrow and let you know how it plays. Think I will have to go to GOG.com and order all those pro pinball games now. Ahh! Nostalgia :)

karl

May 10, 2012
carl Spiby, try sending noa from virtupin an email or ask on http://vpforums.org/. He is very helpful even if you are not ordering from him. I will take some pictures tomorrow for you

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It's not really the cabinet that costs the money if you're not looking for perfection. You can price the buttons and what-not at hap controls and the CPU and monitors are likely going to be what cost you the money. The reason that the virtualpin costs so much is the quality of components, the power of the machines and the high quality monitors they use.

I'll eventually get into building a small table top one

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Yeah there's no way I could afford to build anything resembling this beauty.

IMG_4146.jpg

karl

May 10, 2012
That is a beautiful machine Carl. I am almost afraid posting pictures after that one :) but I promised a few pictures of the Pinball Wizard so here goes. Btw it plays really well on visual pinball and future pinball and it is bigger than it looks in the pictures. It is also very well made. The only problem is that my computer table is a little unstable so it would have been nice to have the opportunity to assign tilt buttons. Future pinball and visual pinball do not let you do this. The table is shaking all over the place when I tilt. Very happy with the product though.

127.JPG

122.JPG

Thanks For the tip about public folders Carl :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.