PHOF Gottlieb Collection is more accurate than TPA?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I dusted off my PHOF for PSP, and noticed that it more closely resembles how the game should work (according to postings here, youtube videos, and VP - I've never seen a real one). Not only does the lower bumper not open the gate, at least some, if not all, of the voice samples missing in TPA are present in this one. The voice is also much closer to the original, there is an appropriate pause from when the ball drains in the lower playfield to when it appears in the upper, and it even has the "whooshing" sound when you enter the lower playfield (not even VP managed to pull that off!)
How odd that a game released nearly 8 years ago is more true to life than the version released four months ago.

Huffster

Jul 31, 2012
Never picked up PHoF Gottlieb, although I do have the Williams one for Xbox 360. How is it overall? Are the physics weaker and noticeably improved now days? It was explained in another thread that the scripting that was written for the older games was brought over to the new TPA engine, but since TPA uses a different pinball framework, there are some things that get broken or don't work as well. An example is the drop target timing in GORGAR. Worked okay before, but is now broken by targets instantly popping up. I also noticed that the plunger is FAR more sensitive in TPA compared to Williams PHoF. As far as Black Hole, TPA is my first ever experience with this table. I never played it in real life or via PHoF Gottlieb. So, I don't have a reference to how it should be. But, I do support updating the game to be as accurate as possible to the real life tables when possible.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Unfortunately, while the older Williams solid-state tables like Gorgar and Black Knight are eventually supposed to get CPU emulation, it doesn't sound so likely with this one.

The pop bumper on the lower playfield closing the gate has been a major topic of discussion here. I get the impression that it's an operator setting, and real-world tables can have it set either way. The game's a lot more fun when it doesn't do that, though...

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Unfortunately, while the older Williams solid-state tables like Gorgar and Black Knight are eventually supposed to get CPU emulation, it doesn't sound so likely with this one.

The pop bumper on the lower playfield closing the gate has been a major topic of discussion here. I get the impression that it's an operator setting, and real-world tables can have it set either way. The game's a lot more fun when it doesn't do that, though...
They have someone working on the emulation, but it's unknown how successful they've been. The flipper gap on the lower playfield is much too narrow. The real machine has the flippers further apart, with a post in the middle (the PHOF version also failed to have this). Mike did say they are planning on fixing the pop bumper problem, but didn't mention the flipper gap, nor did he know exactly how far along they were in the emulation.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They have someone working on the emulation, but it's unknown how successful they've been. The flipper gap on the lower playfield is much too narrow. The real machine has the flippers further apart, with a post in the middle (the PHOF version also failed to have this). Mike did say they are planning on fixing the pop bumper problem, but didn't mention the flipper gap, nor did he know exactly how far along they were in the emulation.

It would be nice to see this finally fixed too:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/49-Lower-Playfield-Flipper-Issue

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I went back to the Gottlieb collection a while ago, and P-U! Just a rough, slow experience.
TPA is far superior in terms of graphics and physics, but PHOFG, on this particular table, has better ROM simulation as far as rules and what sound effects and voices play.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I have Gottlieb Collection for Wii; ball seems a lot floatier, and the whoosh sound doesn't play when play goes to the bottom. So some improvements made.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
If you played pinball on the MOON maybe....WOW imagine that first of all.....could be deadly! OMG! That would be AWSOME, Put a pinball on the MOON. Its AMERICANA. Imagine showing up and it's nuclear/solar powerd batteries retaining highscores from previous missions....Maybe a wee'too much tonight.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.