More closeups?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Personally i fidn the ball on cam mode sickening for actual gameplay nut nice for table detail, i play on ipad sp its pretty decent for protrait sized tables....even tho sometimes things seem alittle hectic

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Personally i fidn the ball on cam mode sickening for actual gameplay nut nice for table detail, i play on ipad sp its pretty decent for protrait sized tables....even tho sometimes things seem alittle hectic

Oh good. I thought I was the only one that got motion sick with the moving camera. I mean, the constant in and out, in and out. Blurrrrrgh.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I'm glad the camera on the 360 doesn't zoom in on the ringmaster on CV each time anymore. That head is only interesting maybe the first couple of times.

Showing the exploding castle in MM, however, never gets old.

My favourite moving camera, however, is the one on Creature on the iPad - I keep the view relatively low (which works really well on that particular table), but when the ball is on the upper half it just tilts the camera up a little. Not as distracting as on other tables, very functional and feels dynamic.

I was going to mention that I like the zoom on important upper playfield elements, like the upper flipper on Whirlwind, Funhouse or RBION, but I noticed that it messes with my consistency during the time these flippers are the most important: Multiball, when the camera is zoomed out anyway. So these days I keep the view fixed so the visual cues stay always the same.

And I'm playing the brilliant Fuse Pinball on my 3DS xl right now, which is entirely prerendered, thus static, but I don't miss camera movement one bit. I think it's better for the brain to focus on the movent of the ball when the rest of the view doesn't change all the time, and the crucial elements always stay exactly where they are. I've gotten quite a few preventable drains because the ball moved too quick and the camera zoomed in and out too fast.

Same with movies and TV, actually. I HATE unnecessary cuts, and really enjoy movies with long, uninterrupted scenes (The Seven Year Itch, for example), but that might be because I'm getting old.

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Because I nudge a lot I play with static cam, but I'd like an option to turn of zoomng in completely. Its one of the reasons why I can't play BoP for prolongued times.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Personally I wish for more zooming/scrolling, as long as its done correctly it should be fine. I wish some of the tables scrolled more, some of the newer ones like CV and creature hardly scroll at all never giving us a good view of the upper playfield, contrast that with Gorgar where the cameraman continually bumps his head on the backglass revealing the detail of the whole table.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
If the Kinect was a better piece of hardware, head tracking would be neat. I like the up/down camera movement in CV, it feels a lot more like how I would focus on a table if I were playing it.

A free view would be nice though like in PinballFX2, allowing us to check and see up close what's flashing in the back

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
it's a cool idea in theory, but in practice i'm glad they've cut back, for two reasons:

1. it is a little nauseating or disorienting for the camera be constantlyswooping around, particularly during mutliball when there's tons going on, multiple toys going off at once.

2. in implementation, it was buggy. there were bugs on multiple table with the camera zoom getting stuck and breaking the game. i'd rather they take it out than spend huge chunks of valuable developer time on a relatively minor detail. obviously to the layman "code it right the first time" is you want/expect, but bug-free code is not free. it consumes money and time. that's a reality that people need to understand when choosing priorities.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.