What is a "Pro" Table?

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I did some research on the forums & the web before I posted, hoping to find out something...

So is a "pro" table like a customized version? Or something along the lines of like an "official" tournament thing? Something else entirely? And why should I care,or want one?

PS: I see that you can get a "pro" version of TNG as one of the KS incentives. Would that be exclusive there,or would you be able to buy it separately?

Thanks...

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
If you're speaking of the special tables that FarSight is offering to backers of their kickstarters, they will have their operator's menus unlocked, allowing players to adjust difficulty, number of balls, and various other options found on the real table.

As of right now, the Pro tables are exclusive to the kickstarter backers at the appropriate tiers or higher.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
My wish - that they offer "pro" versions of all the other tables as well... I'd pay extra to get it on a few tables. I just wish I could up my kickstarter contribution to unlock 'em all.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Looks like you got what you were looking for. A win win for everybody. Farsight can make more money relatively easy, and the customers are happy too.

kcpinballfan

Apr 30, 2012
Looks like you got what you were looking for. A win win for everybody. Farsight can make more money relatively easy, and the customers are happy too.

Seems like a ripoff to me, selling the operators menu for 4 bucks a pop when that is a regular function of a pinball machine to set it up the way you like it. Not everyone plays a pinball machine with default settings and charging more money for basically what amounts to a settings menu for your game is gouging. I'm sure there are plenty of fan boys that will gladly pay whatever to line these guys pockets with cash but just realize they are ripping you off. And please don't feed me with it only cost 5 bucks to play something that would otherwise cost thousands for the real thing. Just know that a software version can't compare to the physical version and unless you own the real thing you won't understand.

Now with all that being said I do like having a mobile version of pinball but I don't agree with TPA charging fans for something that is already a part of the real games.

alexk3954

Mar 8, 2012
The pro version is not for everyone. For people who are really into TPA, 4 dollars is nothing. A total of 6.50 for unlimited play on a table with access to the operators menu is next to nothing. I could go and blow 3 times that amount on one evening of real pinball (w/o access to the operators menu!). If you really get that bent out of shape about 4 dollars, you should focus on finding a better job and less time whining about the price of a cheap video game.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The pro version is not for everyone. For people who are really into TPA, 4 dollars is nothing. A total of 6.50 for unlimited play on a table with access to the operators menu is next to nothing. I could go and blow 3 times that amount on one evening of real pinball (w/o access to the operators menu!). If you really get that bent out of shape about 4 dollars, you should focus on finding a better job and less time whining about the price of a cheap video game.
Well said, sir. And even if you don't have the greatest job, just cut out a beer or two the next time you're at the tavern and you'll have your $6.50.

And no one says you have to buy the pro mode for every table. I'll probably pick it up for tables I really enjoy (MM, CV, SS, etc.) and skip it on the others. I can't see myself wanting the operator's menu for something like Taxi, for example, even though I generally like Taxi.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
While I like the idea of Pro tables (from what I've read), isn't it just making you pay for options that Zen Pinball includes for free (Free roam camera, operator's menu).
I was expecting those to be added to the "non-Pro" versions at some point. $4 seems a bit steep for options too.

Again, there might be something I'm missing. I couldn't find any details, pictures, or videos on what this mode actually does.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Well, you don't need the options in the pro menu - you can get by without them (it's just like how TPA was before this update, after all). You can also consider it a cheap way to disable tilt if you don't want to earn the wizard goals (disabling tilt cancels any high score entry).

It's really more for hardcore pin players - if you're casual, you won't gain anything (and you really ought to have a copy of the manual with you when configuring the options).

For me, I wanted to find out about the damn dot.

Rayman1103

Jul 20, 2012
If anyone's interested, here's information regarding Pro Mode taken from The Pinball Arcade's latest Newsletter.

The Pinball Arcade Newsletter #8.6 said:
Announcing the Pro Menu!

The first Pro Menu has been released on Tales of the Arabian Nights for iOS and Android. This is an exciting new feature that will give players a wide variety of options and modes to play with, as well as tracking in-game stats. The options and modes in this Pro Menu are:

Operators Menu:

• Set how easy it is to earn extra balls and how many can be earned
  • Set the number of balls per game
  • Set how long the ball saver lasts
  • Set how long the Shooting Stars stay lit
  • Track your in-game stats, i.e. number of times Genie Multiball was started
  • Explore Table Mode: gives you camera control so you can look around the table and explore each playfield.
Ball Control: control the ball with the touch screen, disabling gravity and giving you complete control over the bal(s) in play.

Finally, in the Pro Menu: access Pro Tips from the IFPA (International Flipper Pinball Association) pros themselves!

All of this is available when you upgrade your table to the Pro Version!

kcpinballfan

Apr 30, 2012

My post wasn't about the money it was about the principle of it all. If they originally said, we are gonna charge you $15 per table and you get all the functionality of a real pinball machine I would have dropped that money in a hot second, but to claim your game is the most authentic pinball sim out there but leave out options that would be in an authentic pinball machine and now months later charge for options that are part of the games original code is gouging.

I have plenty of money, I have a good enough job and I also own 6 pinball machines with another one coming in shortly. I spent $7k on ACDC LTBR LE so as you can see this isn't about money. And instead of acting like I'm a cheapskate because I don't share your opinion how about opening your mind and being constructive?

The bottom line is I would gladly spend countless dollars on the real thing on location but let's be real this a sim and a video game, this is so far from the real thing. If I play my funhouse or taxi here at my house then play it on this video game its so far from the same that you realize that it's always gonna be just a video game and doesn't mean we should be willing to throw money at whatever add-on they throw at us even though an operators menu is not an add on.

You see I didn't want to turn this into a flame war I just wanted to voice my opinion and displeasure for TPA gouging its customer base for options that are a part of the original romsets. Maybe I'm in the minority on this subject and you all think I should just fall in line like sheep to the slaughter but there are other opinions out there beside the fanboy opinion and I believe I paid for the right to that opinion, I've bought all tables on Android and the PS3 so that being said ill stick with my original statement this is gouging.

gtotal

May 2, 2012
It's really more for hardcore pin players - if you're casual, you won't gain anything (and you really ought to have a copy of the manual with you when configuring the options).

I agree with you except for the "Explore Table" mode. Not including that in the basic table is mystifying.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Hey kcpinballfan. I'm pretty much inline with your thinking. I didn't buy the pro mode, and I probably won't. I'm a huge fan of The Pinball Arcade. If it was $.99, I would buy them. But I'm not offended or even upset about it. I hope they sell a ton of pro modes, as it will guarentee more DLC packs coming my way. This is as close to a giant collection of A-list pins as I will ever get. Pins are hard to find theses days and TPA brings back a lot of great memories for me.
Post a pic of your gameroom for us (curious what pins you own).

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I will definitely be getting the Pro versions but only for the PC version (if it ever comes out) and only if the PC version supports full screen mode. If not, I might as well just continue using Visual Pinball.

kcpinballfan

Apr 30, 2012
Hey kcpinballfan. I'm pretty much inline with your thinking. I didn't buy the pro mode, and I probably won't. I'm a huge fan of The Pinball Arcade. If it was $.99, I would buy them. But I'm not offended or even upset about it. I hope they sell a ton of pro modes, as it will guarentee more DLC packs coming my way. This is as close to a giant collection of A-list pins as I will ever get. Pins are hard to find theses days and TPA brings back a lot of great memories for me.
Post a pic of your gameroom for us (curious what pins you own).

IMG_20121030_203209.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.