Could a ' table update availble ' button be added bringing us bug fixes quicker?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
At the moment as I understand it tables are being fixed and uploaded to the server but not installed by anyone unless one of the following happens;

1) a TPA app update is released and tables that have been updated are re-downloaded
2) users browse their device's file system via their PC or Mac using software such as iExplorer or iFunbox and delete individual tables and then re-download the tables in-app
3) users completely delete the app and re-install it along with the updated tables

Obviously 2 and 3 above are not ideal and waiting weeks and weeks for the next update means we are not getting the benefit of playing tables as soon as they have been fixed.

I'm thinking a way around this could be to add the ability to check for updates in the app. This could be done a few ways, either the app checks for newer table versions automatically and then says an update is available or the user could have a button to check for updates, followed by the option to install it. If updating tables this way is against Apple rules then maybe after being told there is a new version availble there could be a remove or delete table option so you could then re-download the table, getting the newer version in the process. I can see Apple having a problem with having a direct update button but I don't see a problem with the other way, the only thing that has changed is a remove table button has been added ( I think lots of apps have the ability to delete dlc ) and the app is checking for newer table versions ( I have been told in apps before about updates being available so this shouldn't be a problem either ).

Most people won't want to rummage around in their file system to delete tables or delete the app and lose their high scores ( which can be backed up but again we're back to rummaging around in file systems ), and waiting for an appstore update to fix a borked table can take many weeks not to mention the possibilty that the update could be rejected and have to go through apple certification again. That means many more angry comments on Facebook than there needs to be if fixes could be rolled out in a day or 2 instead of weeks.

Could this work?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.