Apollo 13

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Hey All,

I've been searching online for about a month now to find a pin to buy. I came across an Apollo 13 for $1000. Obviously either the seller wants a quick sale or it needs some work (waiting to hear back from him).

Does anyone know anything about this game? Fun factor, durability, maintenance etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've watched some vids on youtube and read up about it on Pinside. While I know it isn't a classic by any means, it fits with my budget and the type of game I want and if it's in good enough shape I'm ready to pull the trigger TODAY :)

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Yeah it looks awesome! Still waiting to hear back from the seller. If it's in good shape and I don't get into a bidding war it WILL be mine!

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
That looks crazy! and to replace all the balls with new ones expensive. Make sure you remove them before moving thats got to add a few pounds.:)

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Alright, I'm heartbroken, it was sold. Probably long before I got to it. However on the plus side I'm looking at two new ones that popped up. So again I ask you good folks for your input.

The first one is a Haunted House. Fully restored with some LED's installed. The seller sent me a link with the pics which are FANTASTIC. He's asking $1750 for it. I'm going by his place tomorrow to see it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33424876@N05/8234096987/in/set-72157632145808222/

The second one is a Stargate. I haven't heard anything from the seller yet, which could point to it being sold :s But he's asking $2200 for it. Not sure what the condidion is yet.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...ellent-condition-works-100-W0QQAdIdZ439033872

Thanks!

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
NO #1 and NO #2 enless you have fond memories of them or its just way to good to pass up...I'd wait. hell I know of a shaq attack for $950 and I bet you could go lower. May i ask what your price range is? maybe I can be of some service...keep an eye out, do you know how to move a pin? Not being a snide prick its important to know how to just move them around you dont want it fold like an ikea cabinet:p
be patient,maybe a 2012 sale...I wouldnt be suprised. look on Pinside.com they have a bunch of machines all over and hit up the guy where you played pins if he's getting desperate he might let one or two go for cheap. Just dont get so excited that all you want is NOW and reality hits you later.
Treat it like buying a used car. More you research the more you'll save.

Last edited:

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
NO #1 and NO #2 enless you have fond memories of them or its just way to good to pass up...I'd wait. hell I know of a shaq attack for $950 and I bet you could go lower. May i ask what your price range is? maybe I can be of some service...keep an eye out, do you know how to move a pin? Not being a snide prick its important to know how to just move them around you dont want it fold like an ikea cabinet:p
be patient,maybe a 2012 sale...I wouldnt be suprised. look on Pinside.com they have a bunch of machines all over and hit up the guy where you played pins if he's getting desperate he might let one or two go for cheap. Just dont get so excited that all you want is NOW and reality hits you later.

Is that based on the prices or the actual machines? I have both of them in VP and tried them both. I would clearly prefer the Stargate (its actually one I wanted), but I never thought I'd have liked BH in TPA but it's one of my favourites now. And its $450 cheaper. I'm going by his place tomorrow to try the machine out. He lives pretty close by.

Nope I have no clue how to move them. But the seller said he would help load it so I'm guessing he'll show me. He does this on the side, buys and fixes up tables and resells them. I've been looking for a couple months now. Any of the machines I'd REALLY want are out of my range. I was thinking $1000-$1500. But for the stargate I'd go over that.

Would have loved that apollo 13 :(

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
A BH depending on its condition should go for $900-$1250 ****s older and will break faster and will have that much more work needed enless you get a fully shopped out one then expect to pay near new prices. Your going to need some tools also, to attach legs and headboard.. I believe 9/16th's and 5/8th's:p A dolly is a must and in order to put the legs on you might want to make a jig or a stand . You might have something around the house you can use as a prop to temporarell hold the front of the machine while you put the legs on then prop the rear and attach the legs.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Also, is buying from Pinside safe?? I haven't been checking there, just local sellers so I could get a look at the machine before I buy it. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with shelling out a couple thousand dollars for a used machine I havent touched...

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
A BH depending on its condition should go for $900-$1250 ****s older and will break faster and will have that much more work needed enless you get a fully shopped out one then expect to pay near new prices. Your going to need some tools also, to attach legs and headboard.. I believe 9/16th's and 5/8th's:p A dolly is a must and in order to put the legs on you might want to make a jig or a stand . You might have something around the house you can use as a prop to temporarell hold the front of the machine while you put the legs on then prop the rear and attach the legs.

What about the Haunted House? None listed on Pinside but all the ebay listings are FAR more expensive. This one has had the following work done:

I stripped the playfield down, cleaned, touched up and waxed the playfield. Put a new window in it (The green window)
Changed every bulb, some are LED
Changed every rubber piece
Changed some coils and sleeves
Fix odds and ends so that the machine is error free

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
You want a machine without that, enless when something goes wrong you pick up the phone to call somebody who fixes these things. I can see your idea and personally i dont like gotlieb tables regardless if its a BH ripoff with no multiball...just saying. If you really MUST get one then you can always sell it for what you paid enless you over payed and can handle sitting on it for a year or so before it sells.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
You want a machine without that, enless when something goes wrong you pick up the phone to call somebody who fixes these things. I can see your idea and personally i dont like gotlieb tables regardless if its a BH ripoff with no multiball...just saying. If you really MUST get one then you can always sell it for what you paid enless you over payed and can handle sitting on it for a year or so before it sells.

Good point. Looking at the new ads now.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Regards moving pin tables, don't underestimate the weight of these things. Obviously it varies from table to table but mine weighs a ton, the delivery guy had a lift on his truck and a dolly to wheel my pin around to the back of my house but then we had to carry it through the house. As soon as I lifted my end off the floor something went in my left arm, probably a muscle tear or something. Anyway I still had to get it through the house and there was only the delivery guy and me there and he had to leave obviously so I struggled through the pain and we got it into the room where it now lives. Nearly 2 months later and my arm is still iffy, I think a 5 year old girl could beat me in an arm wrestle at the moment.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Big Guns and T2 now those are awesome machines.

Apollo 13 just seems like a meh game that's really only known for its rediculous 13 ball multiball gimmick

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Regards moving pin tables, don't underestimate the weight of these things. Obviously it varies from table to table but mine weighs a ton, the delivery guy had a lift on his truck and a dolly to wheel my pin around to the back of my house but then we had to carry it through the house. As soon as I lifted my end off the floor something went in my left arm, probably a muscle tear or something. Anyway I still had to get it through the house and there was only the delivery guy and me there and he had to leave obviously so I struggled through the pain and we got it into the room where it now lives. Nearly 2 months later and my arm is still iffy, I think a 5 year old girl could beat me in an arm wrestle at the moment.

Lol thanks for the heads up. I relayed your anecdote to the seller today. I went to see the HH table and it was PRISTINE. Looked like it came off the line yesterday. Right down to the boards and guts. Had some LED's and UV lights. New rubbers, lights Stripped cleaned PF. A lot of new electronics including the grounding mod for system 80 machines. Works like a charm.

While this table certainly isn't my first choice (I tried the VP version and was underwhelmed). In the few games I played it really grew on me. LOVE the 3 level PF!

He's asking $1600. Thoughts?

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Big Guns and T2 now those are awesome machines.

Apollo 13 just seems like a meh game that's really only known for its rediculous 13 ball multiball gimmick

I've been emailing the seller today. He isn't very prompt in replying. He lives in Buffalo and is willing to deliver. But I'm worried about getting screwed over unless I make the 2 hour drive across the border to see it.

Should I be worried about buying unseen machines?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
When would you ever spend that kind of money without seeing what it is? Everybodys machine is excellent after they add new rubbers and lights :p Im not familiar with HH and Im not a GOTTLIEB fan.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.