Thoughts on a Tablet please

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

netizen

while saving you can wait to see what comes out in Q2 of 2013

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
I'd echo Carl's sentiments -- save up for the Nexus 7. Lots of deals can be found on it -- just keep looking for them.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I love my ipad 4 and if you are going apple try to get a 3 or 4 for the upgraded display.

If you are a droid person then I would trust the Nexus 7 recommendations above. I've read a lot of good posts in many threads about it.

The last thing we need is another apple vs droid thread that goes nowhere.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The last thing we need is another apple vs droid thread that goes nowhere.
I concur. Since the OP asked about particular Android tablets and their suitability for TPA, let's keep this thread focused on that, and leave the Apple devices out of it.

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
Depends if saving up for the nexus 7 is a viable option for you. I'm playing TPA on a Archos 80 G9 tablet. Brought this over a year ago.(£130 on amazon now) be warned that I'm sure the screen resolution and power is well down compared to the nexus 7. But TPA plays good on it. The tablet your looking at sounds OK if your willing to take a bit of a risk. Or how long will it take to save up the extra cash for the nexus 7.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
The makn thing about android tablets is...farsight has on,y so mich real hardware to test.

It may be a fairly powerful tablet it wouldnt be widely tested.

If its an ivestment and its possible to spend alittle more it will ve well worth it imho

Im a pure ios user but i recently done a tegra 3 based andorid for s family memeber, she ismover the moon, and it has rotc on creature i aint happy..lmao

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
I'd recommend saving up a bit more for a Nexus 7. As the most popular Android tablet, you can be sure that games developers will have tested their product on the device and will be keen to iron out any issues. Plus, you are buying into getting firmware updates for at least two years if not more.

I bought an Acer A100 last year as I was sick of waiting for Google to release a tablet of their own; big mistake. In over a year of ownership I have had only two firmware updates and one of those was to get the tablet stable enough to receive the second update. So my device has been stuck on ICS since last summer. I contacted Acer and was told that support for the device had been dropped!! After less than a year!! TPA constantly crashed on it and when it worked was very ropey.

My guarantee expired in January so I was finally able to root it and add custom firmware. Now on a JB ROM and TPA works great, plus the overall Android experience is much smoother and useable. It's so annoying when capable hardware is let down by poor manufacturer support.

With a Nexus you will get constant OS support with updates plus it is well supported by accessory manufacturers. Plus, if it takes you awhile longer to save up (say until early summer) you might even be able to get the follow up model of the Nexus 7, which is expected around then.

N

netizen

if you care about tegra then get a n7 sooner than later as the rumours are the next gen n7 will be moving to snap dragon. Then there's the coming huawei chipsets that are supposed to have greater gpu throughputs than tegras.

2013 will either an expensive year for mobile consumers, or it will be the year to sit out and let things stabilize somewhat considering the number of "next gen" releases this year.

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
I'll throw another vote for the Nexus 7. One thing I love about it is the fact that it has an accelerometer in it, allowing you to use shake nudging.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
As you see, the Nexus 7 gets lots of praise. I bought one specifically to play TPA and it came with a $25 gift card for google play store... all of which went to TPA tables. I don't know if they still have that offer or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.