Zapcon Postmortem

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
So The (hopefully) 1st Annual Zapcon in Phoenix has come and went, and all-in-all, it was fantastic. Seemed pretty well attended, so that should bode well for a return next year.

Some here's some impressions of some of the pins that were there:
Twilight Zone - Overrated, but still pretty great. Judging from playing it in TPA on my buddy's Note II, the TPA version is very accurate.
White Water - Hard as hell, just like a remember, but also pretty much as great as I remember. Hope that the "leaked" info is true and it really is pairing with Space Shuttle in the next pack.
Space Shuttle - Not bad, especially considering it's age. Was it the first table with a plastic toy in it?
Class of 1812 - Really, really impressive for having pretty shallow software. The shots are hitable, the art is great, lots of (2-ball) multiball. Love it. Should be in TPA, no doubt.
Whirlwind - Much the same as playing it in PHOF, so I'm sure the TPA version will be excellent.
Attack From Mars - So love this table. The one I played had the ColorDMD, and it's about the best $400 you could spend if you already have this amazing table. The real thing is quite a bit better.
Black Hole - All the GI were blue LEDs, looked amazing.
Cyclone - Love it. If it had multiball, I'd have bought the one for sale at the show. It or Hurricane, MUST be in TPA.
Black Knight - Cool for it's age, the one at the show had seen better days and was not level:(
Black Knight 2000 - I was really impressed with BK2K. I'd never played it before, and now I see why so many want it in TPA. ME TOO!
Champion Pub - Cool, but not as great as I remembered. Still will be nice to see in TPA.
Blackwater 100 - It's a trip. Very cool. Totally unique. A must-have in a large collection for it's uniqueness.
Banzai Run - Speaking of unique, Banzai is just as interesting and probably better playing, but it is hard as hell. It will kick your ass. Would love to see in TPA.
Elvis - The one at the con was in much better condition than the one I get to play regularly, and it reaffirmed my belief that it is TPA worthy.
Bride of Pinbot - Just beautiful. The playfield on the TPA version looks like they scanned a really dirty one, and thought it was supposed to look like that. TPA version plays great, but they need to take another look at the playfield.
Elvira And The Party Monsters - I was pretty much there already, but after the con I'm ready to pledge my undying devotion to EATPM. TPA version is pretty good, but the art on the real table needs to be experienced in person.
Freddy: A Nightmare On Elm Street - Looks like there's nothing to do (really open playfield), but was a shocking amount of fun to play. I was really surprised by this one. The little glove/claw flipper is fun.
Bone Busters, Inc. - I was pretty damn impressed with this one. It has a pretty unique playfield and several shots that can be made in multiple ways. Really interesting. Kinda like EATPM, Taxi, and Lights, Camera, Action had a baby. Would be cool to see in TPA, it really doesn't play like any other table I know.
Centaur - Plays better than I expected. Really looking forward to it hitting TPA.
F-14 Tomcat - I'll pass.
Fish Tales - Duh. Along with WW, probably the best game with no license issues not already in TPA.
Iron Man - Overrated. Not bad, but not that great either.
Jokerz! - I'll pass.
Funhouse - The one at the con was LEDed to the hilt and it looked AMAZING. Great table, as we all know.
Medieval Madness - Really is one of the greatest tables of all-time, and really isn't that well represented in TPA or PHOF.
High Speed - I'd buy the backglass and put it next to The Getaway (if I had one) and never think about it again. Don't bother for TPA, but, The Getaway is an absolute must.
Mousin' Around - Huge disappointment. It's pretty bad.
Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends - A pretty big disappointment. Not anywhere near as bad as Mousin' Around, but the play and software are a shame considering the art package.
No Fear - Impressive. It's tall (the playfield). Strikingly so, the first time you see it in person. To bad all the license issues mean it has no TPA chance.
Stargate - Excellent. I can see why the general consensus is this is the best modern Gottlieb. Really fun.
Silverball Mania - Great art. That is all.
Indianapolis 500 - Very cool. Pretty hard. Everytime you shot the "...And Never Lift" ramp the "car-wheel" toy spins and the table visibly shakes. TPA worthy for sure.
Police Force - Cool backglass. Playfield is much the same as Cyclone, but not as interesting. Cyclone is better.
Corvette - I figured this one would be good, but it's like top 30 good, which I did not expect. Totally TPA worthy.
Super Mario Bros. - As a Nintendo fan, I have to like this. but it was more fun than I expected too. Would be a cool Wii U TPA exclusive. Yeah right.
X-Men Wolverine LE - The software is a trainwreck. Seriously. Playfield is pretty cool.
Taxi - Well represented in TPA/PHOF.
Guns N' Roses - Just about had me at a loss for words at how good it was, and how much better than I expected. Too bad it'll never see the light of TPA day.
Tron Legacy - Cool table, but the LE is just so much cooler.
Star Trek Next Gen - Was disappointed. It's pretty overrated IMO.
World Cup Soccer ('94) - Love it. Totally love it. TPA worthy.

there were others but this seems like too much of a post already, so, thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online