Cop Show Image Enhancement

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Aha, can someone CSI EnhanceZoom in on the computer screen, and see what tables are coming up?

>:)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Aha, can someone CSI EnhanceZoom in on the computer screen, and see what tables are coming up?

>:)

Ok, it looks like "something-family" or something. I think I can also make out something about "Indiana... Pinball Adventure". I don't remember a machine focused on a state, but whatever.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013

It's those two, right there and right there.:p
And that's assuming it's even possible to up-res the spreadsheet data to see what it says. Image compression generally makes Forensic style up-ressing impossible. NASA has an entirely different method where they take thousands of pixelated photos of the same distant object and merge them together into an HD image.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
1074438_599815796706151_375693405_o.jpg

Obviously they had just celebrated the deal by opening the bar, and the ass who sends out their Kickstarter updates just HAD to bother Jay as he was signing the documents. :D

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
And that's assuming it's even possible to up-res the spreadsheet data to see what it says. Image compression generally makes Forensic style up-ressing impossible. NASA has an entirely different method where they take thousands of pixelated photos of the same distant object and merge them together into an HD image.

Pththth, according to my next generation Fast Fiveier Transform algorithm, the spreadsheet to his left says "710-77345". Which reads "shell-oil" when I look at it upside down.

Which must mean something. And think the next line is "5318008" ?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012

Is this NASA thing available in the App Store? :)

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Pththth, according to my next generation Fast Fiveier Transform algorithm, the spreadsheet to his left says "710-77345". Which reads "shell-oil" when I look at it upside down.

Which must mean something. And think the next line is "5318008" ?
BOOBIES! :rolleyes: Classic geek calculator joke!

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

"Enhancing" a picture to add detail like text is pure science fiction, but its seen on so many shows and movies that some people swear its possible. It is possible to enhance pictures in ways that make it easier to see something that is there but hard to see. But you can't add data that was not captured in the original photo. The stuff that NASA does is truly cutting edge. But even they can't "enhance" a fuzzy picture of a license plate off an ATM camera so that you can read the plate that the camera couldn't see.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
"Enhancing" a picture to add detail like text is pure science fiction, but its seen on so many shows and movies that some people swear its possible. It is possible to enhance pictures in ways that make it easier to see something that is there but hard to see. But you can't add data that was not captured in the original photo. The stuff that NASA does is truly cutting edge. But even they can't "enhance" a fuzzy picture of a license plate off an ATM camera so that you can read the plate that the camera couldn't see.
I used to do this for a living when I worked with surveillance systems. Brakel is correct; you can remove "noise" of various kinds that is obscuring the desired image, if you have some idea of the type of noise involved and therefore what filter(s) to apply to remove/reduce it. But you cannot create information that was not captured in the first place.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I would laugh if after three weeks of digitally recreating that image it turns out it's just random code from Goin' Nuts.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012

Assuming the original image was taken with a good camera and with a high aperture setting (small = large number = less light and more depth in focus), then it would be sharp enough to make out. After compression, the data is lost. The only thing that they could do is make the background have a sharper blob of what we believe is text.

I used to do this for a living when I worked with surveillance systems. Brakel is correct; you can remove "noise" of various kinds that is obscuring the desired image, if you have some idea of the type of noise involved and therefore what filter(s) to apply to remove/reduce it. But you cannot create information that was not captured in the first place.

Most of those "serious" cop shows (CSI, Criminal Minds etc.) are designed to keep people in line with the law by making it look like the police are just so awesome at catching the bad guys, when in reality they aren't that great.

Yes. Yes they did. Shia Labeouf was computer generated.

I'm glad I went pee before reading this.

they allow blatant copyright infringement on kickstarter?

Only the awesome kind.
They must have some sort of agreement with Nintendo to create this.

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
Terminator 2 Kickstarter BEGINNING NOW!!!

Are you saying that "Enemy of the State" took certain liberties?

Yes. Yes they did. Shia Labeouf was computer generated.

I'm glad I went pee before reading this.

Alright. Since this thread is no longer about Terminator 2, apparently, I feel compelled to speak up here. Shia LaBeouf wasn't in Enemy of the State. What you're most likely remembering is Eagle Eye. I know they both start with the letter “E”, but I can assure you, these are two very different movies.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Why are people starting to explain that cop show-like enhancement of images isn't possible in real life? You do realise it was only brought up as a joke to begin with, right? :p Please don't try to convince me that anyone actually believes it's possible.

Also, I have a theory that the creators are basically trying to test how far they can get away with their computer babble. There's no way a scene like this could have gotten past both actors, writers, directors, producers and QA without everybody being in on it:

...but then again, NCIS is such a braindead series that I have every reason to believe it exists entirely on its own secluded plane of society. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.