Tacky IP/Great Machines

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I think we need a place to discuss games that you'd definitely think *should* be crappy but actually turned out alright. Not necessarily obvious *big* ones (a la Addams Family) but relatively unknown ones that are far better than they have every right to be.

What brings this up is that there's a Last Action Hero up on eBay (it's interstate, so it'd have to get shipped) AU for $1,900 buy-it-now. You'd think it would be a piece of crap, but it's actually received some decent reviews on IPDB. Haven't played it myself, but is kinda tempting...

One which comes to mind that I have first-hand experience in is Baywatch. Again, you'd think'd just be an average design but I remember it playing surprisingly well... not to mention the oversized DMD being a bonus (but would be a ***** to replace if it was your own).

The Shadow probably fits here, too (though I think that gets a little more credit than Baywatch and LAH).

So, shoot!

(And yes, this is somewhat of a thinly-veiled thread for pins I should keep my eye out for that may not be that expensive due to their theme. I admit it!)

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Johnny Mnemonic and Demolition Man were both awful movies but truly fun designs. I hated the Addams Family movie but the source material for the movie obviously was reused so that translated well into the game.

I actually liked the Shadow alright. But that's another one along the lines of Addams Family. Regardless of wheter the movie sucked or not, it had good original source material.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I play Last Action Hero on a regular basis (there are two of them in my town) and it's a great machine.

Lethal Weapon 3 is another that would fit this category.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I play Last Action Hero on a regular basis (there are two of them in my town) and it's a great machine.

Lethal Weapon 3 is another that would fit this category.

I actually enjoyed Last Action Hero quite a lot but I understand I am in the minority. The machine is unquestionably a very good game.
No Fear was a decent table but the source material (I think it is a defunct skater clothing company or something) was pretty tacky. At least a table has never been made for Old Navy or Ambercrombie and Fitch. That would be really bad.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I actually think that a bad/tacky IP coupled with a good game makes it even better. I'd completely forgotten about Johnny Mnemonic, too.

If that's the case with Last Action Hero, I might have to add that to the list of tables I should keep my eye out for. Interesting (if camp) IP is always far better than bland, obvious implementations (read: almost all recent Stern tables).

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I actually think that a bad/tacky IP coupled with a good game makes it even better. I'd completely forgotten about Johnny Mnemonic, too.

If that's the case with Last Action Hero, I might have to add that to the list of tables I should keep my eye out for. Interesting (if camp) IP is always far better than bland, obvious implementations (read: almost all recent Stern tables).

You are definitely on to something. Of course every IP that comes out was successful in the sense it was made in the first place. I think when you see something like a film or TV Show that sucks, it got off the ground for having good ideas in there. The failure was somewhere in the execution. You read the plot for Johnny Mnemonic and the marketing campaign and it sounds pretty interesting. Then you see it and it completely blows. Like all those times you see a trailer and it looks like the greatest movie ever produced. After you walk out of an actual screening you realize that the only good parts were those in the trailer itself. Obviously it worked on some level to bring the masses in from the great looking trailer, but once word spreads it fails faster than the running time of the original trailer.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought Tron Legacy was a shiny turd of a movie. However, I could not stop putting quarters into the LE table at Disnyeland.

M

MasterofTrolls

Great Tables, Cheap and/or Bad Licenses

Got to thinking how many fantastic tables have bad and/or simply unpopular or dated licenses. The following come to mind very quickly:

Bram Stokers Dracula: The movie was I think a hit but, I can't imagine this license being expensive today. I love this table more than life itself.

Dr. Who: Actually this might be expensive since it's still a relevant IP today. Maybe even more expensive than Addams Family or Twilight Zone for all I know. I just put it here because I had to give a shout out for this board.

The Shadow: The film bombed, Alec Baldwin still works so is "relevant" I guess, and probably would want a ton of money for his likeness but ya know something? Cut him from the artwork, you'd be doing a great service to pinball fans worldwide!

Johnny Mneumonic: Same with Shadow. Replace Neo's face with something, anything. A black smudge would be an improvement. We just want this bad-*** table to play, and again failed movie licenses can't be that expensive, can they?

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
Always liked the Flash Gordon table. The IP might not be too bad, the the actor fees might add up. Same with Dracula. I believe Gary Oldman recorded voice specifically for the table.

Blueshirt

Nov 17, 2012
Starship Troopers. As a die-hard fan of the book, I watched the movie for the first time after I finished reading it and... well, you can imagine what I think of the movie. The pin is great fun, though. Man. What a blast.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Starship Troopers. As a die-hard fan of the book, I watched the movie for the first time after I finished reading it and... well, you can imagine what I think of the movie. The pin is great fun, though. Man. What a blast.

I actually liked the Starship Troopers movie. Thought it was campy fun. Never seen or played the table. Does the pin have movie call outs?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012

hmm I actually think Starship Troopers is a great movie. I can watch it again and again, the uncomplicated no-nonsense popcorn flick that it is.

But I guess it strays a bit far from the book and it's socio-economic commentary.

Startyde

Nov 1, 2012
I watch Last Action hero maybe once a year, if not more. Criminally underrated movie. The satire is genius. The fact that the game is also good is just the cherry on top.

Wehrwolf

Oct 25, 2012
I really like the newest Wheel of Fortune pinball game despite having absolutely zero interest in the game show.. The theme gives it a creative/unique feel (the same reason I like that NBA pinball game.)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.