Android - Request Move data to SD Card

N

Nik Barbour

Farsight - Could you please provide an Android 'move data to SD card option'.

Don't know if this affects iphone users too?

Only noticed today (been too busy playing T.O.M), but my Internal memory usage has jumped 10% since installing 'The Pinball Arcade'.
All the apps data (including table data) has all been installed to the internal memory with no option to move to the SD Card.

I'd like to buy all the tables I can get my hands on when they are released (you guys have basically got a licence to take all my money), but with Internal memory limits (1GB on my phone), and 500meg of that being other stuff, and with the average table folder size being 40MBish, means I'm going to be limited to approx 12 tables without a move to SD card option!

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
I have the same problem on my galaxy s2, which has 12 GB of (what samsung calls) "internal USB storage", which is not SD! (in fact I don't have an SD card inserted at all). For some reason the phone saves all apps, including PA, to the 2 GB system memory partition and won't let me transfer it to the 12 GB partition. I've read elsewhere that this is an android problem with certain devices in general and might not be able to get fixed by FarSight, even if they wanted to...

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I've had the option to move the app to my SD card since it's initial release. Are you able to move all apps you download to your SD card or only certain ones? Some devices are picky at what you can move to your SD card for one reason or another.

N

Nik Barbour

I'm running cm7 which should allow any app to be moved to sd.
Just un-installed v1. 0.2 duff update prior to 1.0.3 install and I think its fixed the problem.
App manager says the 139mb of data is on sd card now, but search using root explorer is not showing the files.
Do you know the default mnt/sdcard location for the android app?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Sorry, I don't know off hand but I can look into it tonight after I get off work.

N

Nik Barbour

Thanks for offer but just found it using elixir2.
According to app manager it looks like its on sd card, but 139mb of data is sat at /data/data/com. Farsight folder eating up my internal memory.
I don't know if this is Android common, or a CM7 thing.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Glad you found it, but still not understanding why the app is still taking up internal space on your phone. I moved the app over to the SD card and all the information was transfered over with no problem. Nothing was left stored on my phone.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I did add the tag in our application manifest to allow users the ability to move the app (in fact I think it is set to prefer external) so it shouldn't be leaving anything behind except the core files needed to access and run the game. There are reports of some devices having issue with this.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/731792

On some phones there seems to be a special application space. I will look into other options of storing the table files, which are the bulk of the app (especially in the future as new tables are released =) ).

N

Nik Barbour

Hope this helps address the problem.......

ELIXIR 2 REPORT 'THE PINBALL ARCADE'

PACKAGE: com.farsight.AndroidPinball.javaProject

ENABLED: yes

DATA DIR: /data/data/com.farsight.AndoridPinball.javaProject (THIS FILE = 142.55MB SAT ON MY INTERNAL MEM)

NATIVE LIBRARY DIR: /mnt/asec/com.farsight. AndroidPinball.javaProject-1/lib

PUBLIC SOURCEDIR: /mnt/asec/com.farsight. AndroidPinball.javaProject-1/pkg.apk

SOURCE DIR: /mnt/asec/com.farsight. AndroidPinball.javaProject-1/pkg.apk

FLAGS: ALLOW_CLEAR_USER_DATA,

HAS_CODE,

RESIZABLE_FOR_SCREENS,

SUPPORTS_LARGE_SCREENS,

SUPPORTS_NORMAL_SCREENS,

SUPPORTS_SCREEN_DENSITIES,

ALLOW_BACKUP,

EXTERNAL STORAGE,

TARGET SDK VERSION: 8

UID: 10153

CACHE SIZE: 0B

CODE SIZE: 108 KB

DATA SIZE: 139MB 244KB

RECEIVED: 133KB

TRANSMITTED: 49.7KB

edslins

Feb 28, 2012
on my Xperia neo the game is installed on SD card but my purchased tables went to internal memory, making it full (and no way to move it to the SD). I had to uninstall the game I've paid for. waiting for an update to fix it!

ben

Mar 18, 2012
I did add the tag in our application manifest to allow users the ability to move the app (in fact I think it is set to prefer external) so it shouldn't be leaving anything behind except the core files needed to access and run the game. There are reports of some devices having issue with this.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/731792

On some phones there seems to be a special application space. I will look into other options of storing the table files, which are the bulk of the app (especially in the future as new tables are released =) ).

I'm using Xperia Ray, have bought the 4 tables and will buy future tables as long as they are up to the standards of the 3 tables (disappointed with Black Hole).

My problem is the same with others in this thread, low phone memory. The first table (Arabian) was installed in SD Card, but when the app downloaded the other 3 uninstalled tables they are automatically stored in Data, not in Application, that's why it can't use the SD Card.

Currently the apps used around 110 MB :
* 40+ MB in SD Card as Application (application and the first table)
* 60+ MB in Phone Memory as Data (the other 3 tables)

If you release another set of 4 tables that will reside in Data like those 3 tables, I'm quite sure I don't have the needed 80+ MB to install it.

My suggestion is that the current and future tables was not downloaded as data but as application update, so it will automatically stored in the SD Card.

ben

Mar 18, 2012
It seems some games from B*g F**h like A***a managed to download additional content to the SD Card and not phone memory, so this is really possible if you guys have time to implement it.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
We will indeed be implementing a new way to save files so that they exist outside of the application data space. That way users should be able to move them with no problem. Unfortunately it may only apply to future downloads after update (so previously downloaded tables may not be able to be moved due to file permissions restrictions). Barring any bugs that may arise we are hoping to have this update roll out with the new dlc tables so as not to hinder people with low space.

N

Nik Barbour

We will indeed be implementing a new way to save files so that they exist outside of the application data space. That way users should be able to move them with no problem. Unfortunately it may only apply to future downloads after update (so previously downloaded tables may not be able to be moved due to file permissions restrictions). Barring any bugs that may arise we are hoping to have this update roll out with the new dlc tables so as not to hinder people with low space.

Thanks Ryan - quick question re "previously downloaded tables may not be able to be moved due to file permissions restrictions"
If the table data for the first 4 tables is deleted, and re-downloaded after the update, will this data be moveable? or are these 4 files fixed due to compatability with previous releases?
Thanks in advance!

ben

Mar 18, 2012

Still not implemented in 1.0.5.

I've bought the new Medieval and Bride tables, and to play them I must delete the other 3 tables (I don't download Black Hole). So if next months table came up and the feature to move everything to SD Card still not working, I'll have to delete the April tables to play Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse :(

Is there a prediction/plan when this will be implemented?

yurimobil

May 10, 2012
Still not possible in 1.0.6 in my xperia play
The update erases medieval madness and no issue for me to download it due to the low internal memory
So fix this please

N

Nik Barbour

Doesn't work in 1.0.6.
I'm up to 200mb of Farsight data on my internal memory now with only 200 left.
If it doesn't get fixed soon its the end of buying tables as i won't have anywhere to put them!

Snatcher42

Apr 8, 2012
My phone only has about 250 MB internal, so already I can't download all the tables. I'm limiting myself to the ones I can't play on PS3. Luckily Cirqus Voltaire runs off the SD. If they could do it for that one, why not the others?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.