Joypad Deadzones

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Either we need the ability to set these ourselves or you need to increase them because the X360 controller I use, the flippers are getting stuck in the flipped position when I'm not even touching the shoulder buttons.

Small thing, but highly irritating.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Either we need the ability to set these ourselves or you need to increase them because the X360 controller I use, the flippers are getting stuck in the flipped position when I'm not even touching the shoulder buttons.

Small thing, but highly irritating.

Have you calibrated the pad? A working gamepad shouldn't have that issue even with 0% deadzones.

Filip

Nov 17, 2013
Why would we play Pinball using a joypad on PC? The only way to get close to a Pinball simulation on PC would be to play on a mechanical keyboard at least...

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
So, nobody else is experiencing this? Theres nothing wrong with the joypad, it works in other games and just dandy on the XBOX...

Filip

Nov 17, 2013
Variable-force nudging, for starters.

yes, but playing with a pad is so irrelevant that it reduces the interest of variable force nudging. It would require some other more appropriate device. I can't imagine playing Pinball with a pad... I guess variable force nudging is not that important to leave keyboard for a pad...

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
yes, but playing with a pad is so irrelevant that it reduces the interest of variable force nudging. It would require some other more appropriate device. I can't imagine playing Pinball with a pad... I guess variable force nudging is not that important to leave keyboard for a pad...
Well, that's a matter of personal taste. Some of us find variable nudging more realistic than fixed nudging. When I play a real machine, I don't have to shove the machine violently; I can be subtle if I want.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
My wired Xbox 360 controller works fine with no issues to report. Maybe a file got corrupted? I would try Steam's file integrity scan, and as a last resort you might want to re-install the entire game.

The analog nudge is great, as is the rumble feature of the pad. Prefer this over keyboard by a mile over hitting Shift keys on a keyboard, which is not any more realistic feeling to me, even with a clicking mechanical keyboard.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The analog nudge is great, as is the rumble feature of the pad. Prefer this over keyboard by a mile over hitting Shift keys on a keyboard, which is not any more realistic feeling to me, even with a clicking mechanical keyboard.

Yeah, a keyboard is definitely a step back for me too. If you want realism, build a pin cab.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
So, nobody else is experiencing this? Theres nothing wrong with the joypad, it works in other games and just dandy on the XBOX...

Are you sure it isn't registering a tiny bit of input due to mechanical wear? One of my old 360 controllers does this on one of the analog sticks. It doesn't like to snap back to the exact middle sometimes and it's enough to cause a gentle drift to the left in some games once in a while (if the game input on the axis is sensitive enough). Not sure if something similar can happen to the triggers.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
Why would we play Pinball using a joypad on PC? The only way to get close to a Pinball simulation on PC would be to play on a mechanical keyboard at least...

The ability to park my ass in the recliner and play pinball in portrait mode on a 72" TV.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Are you sure it isn't registering a tiny bit of input due to mechanical wear? One of my old 360 controllers does this on one of the analog sticks. It doesn't like to snap back to the exact middle sometimes and it's enough to cause a gentle drift to the left in some games once in a while (if the game input on the axis is sensitive enough). Not sure if something similar can happen to the triggers.

The pad is fine on Xbox and every other game though.

It needs a small (or configurable) deadzone!

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
The pad is fine on Xbox and every other game though.

It needs a small (or configurable) deadzone!

I know this isn't ideal, but you can just remap the flippers to the upper shoulder buttons instead of the triggers till you figure something else out or farsight takes a look at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.