Request Please add option to remap flippers to R2/L2

Zoku Gojira

Dec 31, 2012
Thank you for continuing to bring out awesome new tables for The Pinball Arcade, and keep up the great work. I do have one small request, though one very important to some of us with ergonomic concerns about the position of R1/L1 on Sony's controllers.

Please, please, please add the option to remap the flipper controls to R2/L2, taking advantage of the excellent new triggers on the Dualshock 4. For some of us, R1/L1 are still positioned awkwardly even on the DS4, and these buttons can also stick sometimes depending on how close to the edge the user is pressing, requiring an unnatural grip on the controller (for our hands - everyone's different) that gives back some of the gains Sony has made with this iteration of the DualShock.

Thanks again for hearing me out, and for the great work you're doing.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
If you use Facebook you might want to ask on their FB page (there's already one thread about it here); if this forum is like the PS3 one, they won't really be paying attention to requests made here. : P

NeedleBanger

Dec 10, 2013
Ya I gotta agree, the option should be there. I don't personally use the triggers, but the option should be there. This is why I can't play Battlefield 4.

Zoku Gojira

Dec 31, 2012
Battlefield 4 doesn't let you remap between triggers and R1/L1? That's crazy. The more trigger-like R2/L2 were a huge part of Sony's drive to win back the FPS players from the MS ecosystem, but EA/DICE shouldn't be going out of their way to alienate existing player base like that.

Last edited:

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Seems odd that they would remove remapping from the PS4 version like that - you can remap the buttons in the PS3 version.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Seems odd that they would remove remapping from the PS4 version like that - you can remap the buttons in the PS3 version.

The reason this happened is because the PS4 version was more rebuilt than it was a port which is why FarSight mentioned that the PS4 version is sort of its own monster. A few things were over looked, but should be patched in very soon.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
Yes using R2 and L2 would be a great option. I have a habit of hitting the share button when using the standard control layout,.

Sir_LANs-a-lot

Jun 1, 2012
Is there an ETA for this yet? - Despite popping the shoulder buttons and giving them a good clean with a Q-tip, I find mine are still sticking in occasionally which is ruining the gameplay.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Is there an ETA for this yet? - Despite popping the shoulder buttons and giving them a good clean with a Q-tip, I find mine are still sticking in occasionally which is ruining the gameplay.

Nope. But my R1/L1 buttons are working well after I applied just a bit of teflon lubrication.

Last edited:

Oldskool1969

Jul 25, 2013
I honestly thought they kept it this way as R1/L1 are straight micro switches and R2/L2 are analogue. To me this is why it sometimes felt laggy for new players on PS3 a they had to do an almost complete press down of the buttons to activate flippers? If that makes sense.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I honestly thought they kept it this way as R1/L1 are straight micro switches and R2/L2 are analogue. To me this is why it sometimes felt laggy for new players on PS3 a they had to do an almost complete press down of the buttons to activate flippers? If that makes sense.

I guess this means no dual stage flippers until they give us the R2/L2 option.

Oldskool1969

Jul 25, 2013
Yeah could be, most players won't use the dual stage, I don't in real pinball, it serves no purpose for me, it really is a bit of show unless you trap the ball a lot.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Yeah could be, most players won't use the dual stage, I don't in real pinball, it serves no purpose for me, it really is a bit of show unless you trap the ball a lot.

It comes in handy in Funhouse. In real life the leaf switches are too sensitive for me to ever actually use it but on TPA the tolerance is set so that it is easy to do.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
Be careful what you wish for! I read the Playstation Community Forums and it seems a lot of people have completely broken their R2 button.Yeah they're playing Battlefield 4 and games like that, but why did Sony cheap out on the build of the controllers?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.