Android - Request Recipes for CPU/GPU/Govenor/ Combinations to improve gameplay performance

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Hi all

I've got a rooted SGS2 (see my profile) and have been trying to get gameplay running butter-smooth across all tables by fiddling with CPU and GPU speeds using ExTweaks. I've also experimented with some CPU Governors.

I've discovered what I think is the perfect recipe for those fans who are:
  • Running rooted SGS2 handsets.
  • Don't mind overclocking the processor and GPU (to safe levels)

WARNING ABOUT DEVICE ROOTING

Putting the super user (su) binary on your phone will void your manufacturer's warranty. Be sure you want to go down this path. There are ways of removing evidence of device root, however this is well out of the scope of this forum post. XDA Developer forums can help.

WARNING ABOUT PERFORMANCE TUNING

Understand that applying tuning recipes in this thread (or any thread on the internet for that matter) may result in device instability. It is highly recommended to take a CWM backup before applying new recipes as a fail-safe.

Read through the thread for user suggestions about tuning recipes.

Please keep it on topic, and only discuss tuning recipes. ;)

Last edited:

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
I rooted my SGSII, but it's still a stock ROM. I used to use Cynaogen on my old Hero, but I hear there's still some bugs in CM9 for ICS. Ideally, the game would work without the need for rooting and user hacking. Especially on a SGSII device. But I still don't get why the HUD has become the main culprit here. It's a score display.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I rooted my SGSII, but it's still a stock ROM. I used to use Cynaogen on my old Hero, but I hear there's still some bugs in CM9 for ICS. Ideally, the game would work without the need for rooting and user hacking. Especially on a SGSII device. But I still don't get why the HUD has become the main culprit here. It's a score display.

For me, I'm using Resurrection Remix, which is built on the Android Open-Kang Project (AOKP).

I agree that ideally the game should "just work", and I was surprised that the stock SGS2 struggled with it.

For those who don't want to wait for that, they could run ExTweaks and SiyahKernel and get some performance.

From what I understand from reading here, the HUD for non-DMD games takes a bit of grunt to run because the code is not yet optimized fully (introduced with BoP, which is only one release ago at time of writing this post).

Improvement to the code will come, but it may take a while to get it performing like the DMD HUDs do.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
My version of ICS is a bit laggy overall, honestly, I'm not very happy with it. I may switch back to Gingerbread, but it's another headache in getting my apps and preferences back on. Not to mention the waiting game with the official Sprint ICS release - whenever it officially drops. Supposedly, the version of ICS I downloaded is based off some developer builds, so it's supposed to be close to the real thing. I sure hope not. The alternative would be to try your setup in the hopes that Pinball Arcade AND the OS both work a bit better. I never dug too deep in CM7 when I had it on the Hero.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I wanted to check if it was against any forum rules to post information like this on the forum (suggesting people root their phones and void their warranty, etc).

As long as it doesn't involve piracy (which I'm fairly sure it doesn't), then I have no problem with it.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
As long as it doesn't involve piracy (which I'm fairly sure it doesn't), then I have no problem with it.

No, it definitely does not involve piracy.

OK, I'll post up some recipes I've tried for those who are interested.

N

Nik Barbour

Would it not be better to wait for the end of week Android update.
The 1.0.6 update made many droids suffer lag with HUD on, mine included, and reading the google play comments, I'd say the biggest number of phones affected were SGS2's.
Ryan has commented in the 1.0.6 bugs thread his suspected causes and hopefully the next update should address these problems for us.
I think it may be better to wait a few days and see what the next release has.

Additionally, at the time of 1.0.6 release I was running CM7.2-RC1 and TPA was unplayable in latest update. This week I switched to my alternative MIUI2-4-20GB rom, to update my apps and do a backup, before flashing back to cm7. Whilst it was loaded figured I'd try TPA but didn't expect any difference due to thread starvation being suggested. What do you know, its definitely better than on cm7, with most tables playable at 1ghz cpu inc BOP & FH. The weirdest thing using the MIUI rom, is overclock appears to hurt performance. It runs better at 1ghz.
Another user on here Dyleck, runs Miui on his SGS2 and reported most tables were quite playable on his phone.
The only really bad one now is CV.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Would it not be better to wait for the end of week Android update.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what that update brings as far as performance (just noticed Ryan's post in the 1.0.6 thread then). I'll wait and see before continuing posting recipes.

N

Nik Barbour

I'm really hoping this update will solve all the performance issues, and hopefully TPA should just run 'as is' without any cpu fiddles or funny button presses.

Just out of Interest, whats the 'Resurrection Remix' rom like on your device?
Is their benefits over MIUI ICS for the SGS2.

dyleck

Feb 28, 2012
Another user on here Dyleck, runs Miui on his SGS2 and reported most tables were quite playable on his phone.
The only really bad one now is CV.

Yep, that is true. I am running the latest miui with the latest Syiah kernel and all tables except FH works smoothly 99% of the time but I have done CPU/GPU tweaks to achieve this. As for FH it is playable however framerate drops very significantly many times. And because of that I am the 10th on the leaderbords right now. ;)

N

Nik Barbour

And because of that I am the 10th on the leaderbords right now. ;)

Hey Dyleck, nice scores you got posted on your thread!
The only one I'm even remotely close to you on is BH, and you're beating me by 2 Mill on that one.
Man I need more practise - but my employer seems to expect me to work when I go there!
I'll keep my eye open for that FH 10th place improving when this next update solves all the performance issues - (cross fingers, look heavenwards, say a quick prayer).

dyleck

Feb 28, 2012
Hey Dyleck, nice scores you got posted on your thread!
The only one I'm even remotely close to you on is BH, and you're beating me by 2 Mill on that one.

Thanks Man. I am doing whatever I can to be number 1 on all of the tables but I guess it won't happen untill they wipe all the buggy scores from few of them.

Man I need more practise - but my employer seems to expect me to work when I go there!

Yeah, that seems a common issue across the whole world. :D

I'll keep my eye open for that FH 10th place improving when this next update solves all the performance issues - (cross fingers, look heavenwards, say a quick prayer).

Thanks. Just be aware that today I installed the newest kernel and now I am at the 5th place. ;)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm really hoping this update will solve all the performance issues, and hopefully TPA should just run 'as is' without any cpu fiddles or funny button presses.

Just out of Interest, whats the 'Resurrection Remix' rom like on your device?
Is their benefits over MIUI ICS for the SGS2.

Well, I can't speak for MIUI ICS, because when I discovered Resurrection Remix AOKP (my first rom I tried after extensive research), I didn't bother going to any other ROM. ;)

The AOKP Resurrection Remix ROM is regarded as probably one of the best and most stable 4.0.4 ROMs out there. The developer, "Westcrip", releases regular updates to the ROM.

The latest version I'm running (1.9.1) has the SiyahKernel integrated into the ROM. I love the SiyahKernel for it's tweaking tool ExTweaks. The Kernel's ability to safely overclock the SGS2 to 1.6Ghz per core (this makes the handset faster than a stock Samsung Galaxy Nexus!!) is a great way of extending the life of this already excellent handset. ExTweaks lets you customize GPU, CPU, Backlight Notifications, I/O govenor, CPU Govenor. And all this from the reassurance of a GUI.

I'm going to update the first post with the ExTweaks recipe I'm using now.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
[Samsung Galaxy S2] [SiyahKernel] [Resurrection Remix AOKP ROM] Performance Recipe

Summary

The following settings result in very smooth gameplay on all 1.0.6 version tables.

Funhouse and BoP see no degradation in gameplay from HUD demands.

During Multiball and intense light show events, gameplay remains solid.

After applying these settings, restart your device to ensure the settings are applied.

Performance Overview

Gameplay performance is achieved by enabling 18 CPU steps to the maximum safe 1.6Ghz per core.

GPU is enabled with a third step of 400Mhz and voltage of 1200.

The "smartassV2" CPU governor gives excellent performance for this recipe.

Your battery life will be decreased by running this recipe. It is definitely *not* a battery-saver profile ;)

Performance settings

Access this settings group through Settings > ROM Control > Tools group > Performance (right down the bottom of the ROM Control menu page).

• Max CPU = 1600Mhz (if maxing out your processor freaks you out, dial it back to 1400 Mhz and work up from there)
  • Min CPU = 200Mhz
  • Scaling Govenor = smartassV2
  • Set at boot = box ticked (to apply scaling govenor)
  • Free Memory = 100mb (default is 80)
  • Set at boot = box ticked (to apply free memory setting)

ExTweaks Settings

CPU tab

• HOTPLUG MODE = CPU Hotplug
  • LOAD_H0 = 35%
  • LOAD_L1 = 20%
  • MIN_RQ = 2
  • LOAD_RQ = 2
  • RATE = 200 jiffies
  • FREQ_MIN = 500000 kHz
  • CPU IDLE MODE = AFTR + LPA (default)
  • SCHED_MC = 0
  • CPU STEP COUNT = 18 (All Available)
  • CPU UNDERVOLTING = No Undervolting

GPU tab

• GPU FREQ STEP1 = 160MHz
  • GPU FREQ STEP2 = 267MHZ
  • GPU FREQ STEP3 = 400MHz
  • GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL 1 = 950mV
  • GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL 2 = 1000mV
  • GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL 3 = 1200mV
  • GPU THRESHOLD 1-UP = 30%
  • GPU THRESHOLD 2-DOWN = 25%
  • GPU THRESHOLD 2-UP = 60%
  • GPU THRESHOLD 3-DOWN = 55%
  • GPU STAYCOUNT1 = 1 sec
  • GPU STAYCOUNT2 = 1 sec
  • GPU STAYCOUNT3 = 1 sec

Misc tab

• DEFAULT CPU GOVENOR = smartassV2
  • DEFAULT I/O SCHEDULER = cfq

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
The newest update should make these steps unnecessary on SGS2, ICS, stock rom, if the beta apk is any indication =) For me it plays better than ever now!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
The newest update should make these steps unnecessary on SGS2, ICS, stock rom, if the beta apk is any indication =) For me it plays better than ever now!

Great to hear this goforthewall. Looking forward to seeing the update.

I'll probably continue to run custom settings, but might dial back the CPU overclock to stock 1.2Ghz and leave GPU overclocked for some extra graphics grunt.

Doing this should also improve battery life a fair bit.

For those who just want to overclock their device, these settings are still good for a performance-weighted configuration (just in case performance suffers in the future). But hopefully that will never happen again.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
I started trying to get this setup on my phone, but ran into a bunch of problems. Took me a while to figure out that in order to get CWM Recovery to work, I needed a kernel that supported it. Whatever came with what I'n using, didn't. So I downloaded the SiyahKernel, but got scared off when a) it looked like it's the EU version, and b) after the kernel's boot screen, my screen went black. So I went back into recovery and reloaded 4.0.4 FE16. Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait for the official release before I decide what to do next.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I started trying to get this setup on my phone, but ran into a bunch of problems. Took me a while to figure out that in order to get CWM Recovery to work, I needed a kernel that supported it. Whatever came with what I'n using, didn't. So I downloaded the SiyahKernel, but got scared off when a) it looked like it's the EU version, and b) after the kernel's boot screen, my screen went black. So I went back into recovery and reloaded 4.0.4 FE16. Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait for the official release before I decide what to do next.

The Resurrection Remix 1.9.1 ROM comes packaged with the SiyahKernel built into the ROM. Version 1.8.1 required you to reflash the kernel after flashing the ROM. But if you got some black screen action going on, you definitely did the right thing and backed out. ;)

After the Android performance updated rolled out this week, I've set my phone back to 1.2Ghz per core, but still left the GPU overclocked. Performance is back to normal for me (even removing 800Mhz of processing grunt from the original "performance" configuration).

I think the Farsight Android team have cracked the performance issues.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
ROM Manager just would not go into CWM for me (to flash the ROM zip) no matter what I did, so I assumed you had to flash the kernel and then flash the ROM. That seems rather silly, but at that point I was so frustrated I just went and did it, then went wide-eyed when my screen went black. Was not happy with this turn of events, so I'm going to back out of this for now and maybe try some other time. I liked having some customization when I was using CM6 on my old HTC Hero, that was real simple to flash. Thanks for posting your findings, it's good to have for reference.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
ROM Manager just would not go into CWM for me (to flash the ROM zip) no matter what I did, so I assumed you had to flash the kernel and then flash the ROM. That seems rather silly, but at that point I was so frustrated I just went and did it, then went wide-eyed when my screen went black. Was not happy with this turn of events, so I'm going to back out of this for now and maybe try some other time. I liked having some customization when I was using CM6 on my old HTC Hero, that was real simple to flash. Thanks for posting your findings, it's good to have for reference.

I understand.

For me I found that updating a ROM often removed the kernel I had installed, unless it came packaged as part of the ROM.

So I usually flash the ROM, then flash the alternate Kernel.

If I ever put on a new ROM, I always do a CWM backup first. Then I usually start CWM and use it's interface to manage the update process.

I always do a "Wipe cache", "Reformat /data", and "Wipe Dalvik cache" (under advanced settings).

That gets rid of all the previous ROM's associated information, and will often prevent black screens or bricking. But I'm sure you already knew this stuff, as you seem to have been flashing CM builds for a bit.

Glad you liked the tuning info. Hopefully we never have to use it again. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.