Why don't players like Gorgar?

May 11, 2012
Never tried it before but I'm enjoying myself.

When I first installed TPA way back when, I couldn't care less about Black Hole - hated it. Now I'm getting into it just because it's so unforgiving & frustr.ating that I HAVE to get good at it (never happen I suck). I'm thinking these "shooters" games are hardcore & they seem to offer more longevity (I was done with TOM pretty quickly and CV is already all but spent too)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Never tried it before but I'm enjoying myself.

When I first installed TPA way back when, I couldn't care less about Black Hole - hated it. Now I'm getting into it just because it's so unforgiving & frustr.ating that I HAVE to get good at it (never happen I suck). I'm thinking these "shooters" games are hardcore & they seem to offer more longevity (I was done with TOM pretty quickly and CV is already all but spent too)
For those of us who started playing on the mid-90s Williams/Bally machines, these classic tables don't hold our attention very long. The older tables are a very "pure" pinball experience, but like vodka, you eventually get tired of it and want something with more complexity to it.

Theatre of Magic and Cirqus Voltaire, while quite fun, are two of the least difficult tables out there. Try something like Ripley's or (once it's released) Twilight Zone and see if they offer enough longevity for you.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I grew up playing mostly late 80's and 90's pinball, but I prefer these older machines like Gorgar and Black Hole. Many of the newer playfields are too cluttered for my tastes.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Funny, I was absolutely going to pass on Gorgar, having played it on PHOF and finding it boring. But for completionists sake, I bought it anyway. What's funny is that I KEEP PLAYING IT! I guess I need to occasionally play a table where a shot actually travels farther than 12" before hitting a target.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I like Gorgar, but then I (vaguely - I was only nine) remember when it was first released. I don't think I started playing tables in earnest until the cusp of the 90s - I remember playing a lot of Pin Bot and Cyclone. I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to pinball as long as the table has enough action. The wide body Gottlieb tables like Genie and El Dorado do nothing for me, but these early solid state Williams tables are pretty well-designed so they can keep my interest. I prefer Firepower to Gorgar, but I enjoy this one as well.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Ooooh, that's right. The Gottlieb tables are still on the horizon. Sorry, but those I am definitely passing on. I guess no completionists trophy for me.

May 11, 2012
Funny, I was absolutely going to pass on Gorgar, having played it on PHOF and finding it boring. But for completionists sake, I bought it anyway. What's funny is that I KEEP PLAYING IT! I guess I need to occasionally play a table where a shot actually travels farther than 12" before hitting a target.
Same exact experience as me. I thought Gorgar would be the first table I didn't buy but figured hell it's $2.50. Now I'm getting into it

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
For me personal, the old machines did not survive time. A machine like blackhole i just dont want to play cause i find it boring. I need DMD, action, multiballs, storylines, combi's, ramps, stuff, etc etc.

Pinball evolved and i went along, its hard to go back that far. I miss to much ''new'' stuff to keep my attention.

May 11, 2012
I hear ya Dutch....I played an old table not long ago from 1979 (Lost World) and it was deathly pale. Borrrring!
I have to temper my enthusiasm with a reality check sometimes. L

I DO love the more modern machines better but I can easily slip into the simpler tables that require pure shooting

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
I remember playing Gorgar back when I was a kid, and it actually scared the crap out of me. Even now as that throbbing sound of the heart beating increases it makes me feel anxious, but I find it exciting at the same time. I really dig early SS tables alot, sure they don't have modes or fancy dmd animations, but good play-field layout is good play-field layout, even without all of the bells and whistles.

May 11, 2012
I remember an interview with one of the guys who created Robotron & he has one in his basement. He said every once in awhile he feels compelled to go down there and "kick it's ass". He said his goal is to score a million points. That's what separates the old games from the newer ones.

Back in the day we just played for points. No story, no interactive movies, no ending.

I want to score a million points on Black Hole but I'm not even halfway there. That's the replay value with those older tables

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I can play Black Hole over and over again for hours at a time, but I seriously don't ever want to touch TOTAN or TOM again.

I do not care about DMDs or animations or anything like that. I just care about things that I find fun to play.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, i love early SS machines. DMDs are neat, but they're also distracting and the animations get really repetitive after just a few games.

I've put waaaaay more time into BH than any other table in TPA. To me, it has a lot more replay value than an easy table like TOM where even random shots score millions.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I've put waaaaay more time into BH than any other table in TPA. To me, it has a lot more replay value than an easy table like TOM where even random shots score millions.
Might want to stay far, far away from AFM then...that one makes even the Theatre look low-scoring...

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, i love early SS machines. DMDs are neat, but they're also distracting and the animations get really repetitive after just a few games.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I won't say I don't like newer games, because that's simply not true. I just don't think that something is instantly better because it's more recent and has more gadgets on it.

If you were to ask my opinion, I'd say that the alphanumeric era is where you can find the best balance for most players. You get some nifty little toys and progressive rule sets, while still maintaining reasonable scoring and "easy to learn, hard to master" gameplay.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
As a child of the early 80's and growing up on Atari I really dig the sound effects of early solid state tables. I especially like the some of the hard core artwork of this era too. However, part of the coolness of these tables is the "crack" of the mechanics when hitting bumpers, slings, drop targets and flippers. I'm really hoping to get that in a nearby update when Farsight overhauls the mechanical sounds. It's the one thing that's detracting for me while playing Gorgar or Black Hole.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Might want to stay far, far away from AFM then...that one makes even the Theatre look low-scoring...

Don't get me wrong: I like TOM and AFM....I just prefer tables where you have to work more for high scores and that are less cluttered....but I'll play pretty much anything, and I'll definitely be buying them all :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.