Help with Controller mod

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
So I have limited tools and resources but I wanted to mod my old Hotrod SE controller to use with TPA, PFX2, VP10 etc.
I'm hoping to mount a second flipper button on the right hand side at some point for Starship Troopers(do any games need a second flipper button on the left that might come to TPA?)
As well I was hoping to try mounting a game pad upside down and weighting the left analog stick so it works like a plumb bob for analog nudging.
I just found the box was too crowded for it being inside without building a new box from scratch(no tools for that atm)
So I thought I'd just put it on the back of the controller which would be under the Portrait monitor anyways and give it a go..

Here's where I am so far.

Vbff64F.png
Ud91w7r.png

The issue I'm having in this test is that tho the weights move..they don't move enough to register a nudge without really shaking the hell out of it.

Anyone done anything similar for cabs or have an idea how to improve?
I wonder if its just needs more weight, or maybe the washers are to wide and need a narrower maybe lead weight that will swing better.
Anyone know how to reduce spring tension on gamepads? I didn't' see a springs that could be replaced..
Anyways. Just looking for ideas :)

Carny_Priest

Jan 9, 2015
I used a HotRod for ten years to play Visual Pinball. Mapped the right joystick down to plunge the ball.

My very first test bed for a cabinet used a HotRod SE and an old Microsoft Sidewinder game pad. It has a built-in accelerometer for analog nudging and a lot of builders have used it for their cabs. I happened to have had the game pad from years and years ago, but it may still be cheap on eBay. Be sure that you get the gameport to USB adapter that comes with the controller. The controller can be decased and it should fit inside the HotRod

The deal is that the stock HotRod is PS/2. At least mine was. I don't think any modern equipment still uses PS/2. I was using an ancient laptop for testing so not a problem for me. I attached to an old laptop dock and arranged the laptop screen in portrait orientation. Used an old CRT for a backglass display. I did wind upgrading the entire interface on the HotRod for USB with a kit from XArcade.

Speaking of XArcade, their Tankstick does have two buttons on each side. So, that can handle tables with MagnaSave out of the box.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I did just recently get the X-arcade conversion kit as well for the Hotrod, so its usb now.
My issue is TPA and FPX2 only support the 360gamepad for analog nudge ..so was trying to make this work without using a joytokey wrapper for a more natural experience.\

I tried turning the controller over and It might be better this way..just gotta balance the weight so its not to much that it won't return to center but enough to register a nudge without having to shake the controller as much.
I need to find a small rubber ring washer as well to limit the throw of the still so it helps return to the center.

Wolis

Jul 12, 2012
How is this connected to your device? And is that an android device?

I ask as I have been experimenting with a Moga controller via Bluetooth and it doesn't play well.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
The hotrod has a usb connector..and emulates keyboard imputs ..the 360 controller is an additional usb connection but is just being used for analog nudging.
right now its a work in progress .. if work isn't imploding next couple days i should be able to experiment with some more ideas..which honesty is the most fun..Frankenstein'n together some mad contraption just for the fun of it :)

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
its connected to PC using Steam.

Switched back to having the stick upsidedown..think the answer is glidepads under the feet of the controller so when you shake the controller it actually glides/moves abit and gives the weight some help swinging.
its working now..but you can't do the perfect timing slap saves that are normal with controller..but I can't do those in real life either :)
With new camera settings it plays really well this way. Just gotta find way to raise the whole box up about 2inches so its right height.

Wolis

Jul 12, 2012
Ah, PC. All makes sense now.

I made a front end for Visual pinball (years ago) and I raised the base of my wooden box on soft foam. Then made a crude switch at the back so if you push the box hard enough the switch is triggered. Worked fine :)

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
heres pic and video when playing..its pretty good, only takes 30seconda to switch monitor back to work mode.
I just ended up using a nylon screw from hardware section and drilled hole down middle. it grips enough not to slide down and off. I might have to glue it if it losens up but

BilvS5k.png

Wolis

Jul 12, 2012
Short and sweet :)
Ah now I understand the inverted controller. Well done!
I'm foolishly trying to use android as the OS but controller support is the major obstacle :-(

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
ya the new DX11 with camera mod is so nice I couldn't imagine not playing on PC now.
Surprisingly Xenon is one of my favorites to play with this setup..the slower pace and updated flipper physics just feels so good. Roadshows great but I can't wait for more tables to get the updated controls.
I think PBFX2 really shows how great having the DMD on second screen is, even without anything else its fantastic I hope we see that soon in TPA. Rendering the backglass ,keystone adjustments etc are all secondary to just getting the DMD off the main screen.
I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out without having to invest to much cash ..once you get into the zone playing after a few mins it feels really good.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.