help? for HH wizard goal - Light Double Bonus for all 3 Levels

invitro

May 4, 2012
I have five wizard goals left, and one is the HH 3-level Double Bonus. With much practice, I think I know the rules, and I can get the ball into the upper playfield regularly enough to light its Double Bonus. The 1-2-3-4-5 targets aren't too hard, although I don't know a good way to hit the 2.

I finally got all three Double Bonus lights flashing, but I didn't get the wizard goal :(. Does anyone have any info on what the trigger is? Maybe they have to be flashing in the same way... all three on, then all three off? When I got the three, one was off when the other two were on. I can't think of anything else that might be a trigger... there's not a special sound that goes with lighting all three, is there?

I still like this table quite a bit, although I have to turn the sound off (it's the only TPA table I can say that about... the looped theme just drives me insane), and playing it for a long time gives me a bit of a headache sometimes. Figuring out the rules in detail has been fun (I don't think the TPA rulesheet is complete), and practicing the various shots until I've got a method for them is tedious but rewarding.

P.S. If pinballwiz45b is reading, congrats on your #1 11M!

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I have five wizard goals left, and one is the HH 3-level Double Bonus. With much practice, I think I know the rules, and I can get the ball into the upper playfield regularly enough to light its Double Bonus. The 1-2-3-4-5 targets aren't too hard, although I don't know a good way to hit the 2.

I finally got all three Double Bonus lights flashing, but I didn't get the wizard goal :(.

I never managed to lit the three levels at the same time (the level lights in the middle of the table, under the secret passage, not the "rollover" holes after the ball is launched). I think it must be done during the same ball, in order to get the wizard goal.

Regarding the table itself, it's a fun a table, but the ball is too crazy (you can hardly aim anything), and the ball acts very weirdly in the upstairs (it doesn't "bounce" enough).

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
If pinballwiz45b is reading, congrats on your #1 11M!

They don't call it "Monster Bonus" for nothing.

EF1F7443068AC0FCC6ACA0D486E0E56AD455A067

invitro

May 4, 2012
So many lit lights! Is that the max # of lights or can the upstairs 2X scoring be lit at the same time as all the others? And OMG that bonus... I don't know if I've even gotten 100k. Beautiful beautiful!

Pod

Aug 10, 2012
Finally did this. Never going to play this table again. Wasn't on my main platform so wizard goals weren't active but f that. I'm crossing this one off. :)

Eternal21

Jun 3, 2018
So can anyone say definitively what are the requirements for this wizard goal to pop (3-level double bonus)

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
So can anyone say definitively what are the requirements for this wizard goal to pop (3-level double bonus)

You know the three holes at the top of the middle playfield that send the ball to a different playfield? Each one has a corresponding light under it that means hitting the hole again will double a certain playfield' score. To light these:

-On the upper playfield, you must complete the drop targets four times (or is it three times?). This is the hardest to do, so I recommend trying to start with this one first, but don't shy away from the others if you happen to be on a different playfield
-On the middle playfield, there are five numbered targets that must be hit in numerical order
-On the lower playfield, clear all of the drop targets three times

Once you light any of these, the corresponding light on the middle playfield will be lit. Get the ball in the lit hole to activate the double bonus for that hole. Once you hit the ball in all three lit holes, the goal should pop up.

There is one other thing. Once one of the holes are lit, it will be lit for the remainder of your current ball and the next ball. Lose two balls and you will need to light that hole all over again.

I have done this twice, once on PS3 and once on PS4 and they both popped the first time, so I don't know if the initial poster did something wrong or if it was just a weird bug.

Last edited:

Eternal21

Jun 3, 2018
I have done this twice, once on PS3 and once on PS4 and they both popped the first time, so I don't know if the initial poster did something wrong or if it was just a weird bug.

Thanks for confirming. That is what I understood from the table Instructions as well, but OP made it seem like it won't work. I also saw the lights remain ready to be re-lit after a single drain, so it's good to know it will also work for popping the trophy.

Eternal21

Jun 3, 2018
And I finally got it done. I can't stand these wacky wide body pinball tables, so glad to get this one off the list. Here's my strategy:

1. Always pull the plunger to second bar from the top, so that the ball ends up going to the attic.
2. Get as many drop targets hit in the attic as possible, since that double bonus is the hardest to light (you need to drop all of them 3 times)
3. The ball will end up in the basement, and you also want to drop as many targets as possible (the left flipper is buggy and ball goes through it), you need to drop all of them 2 times.
4. Now here's the crucial part. Once the ball is spit out of basement, let it drop onto the left flipper, and bounce to the bottom right flipper. You can then trap it, and aim your shots from the rightmost flipper on the bottom.
5. Initially you want to keep shooting it just off the tip to hit Target 1. When you manage that, when you trap the ball in the future try to hit Target 2. Finally, once you get those two done, aim the trapped ball at one of the double bonus holes at the top left of the table. It will usually end up in the basement one, but every now and then you'll hit attic or main field hole with it. The reason you want to focus on Target 1 & 2 first, is because those two targets (1 in particular) will rarely get hit without aiming for them. The remaining targets (3, 4, 5) you'll end up hitting by accident.
6. Whenever the ball ends up on left bottom flipper aim for the staircase. That way you get more shots at clearing attic targets. Also, if the ball is on the right side of the attic, try to aim for the 2nd target from the right. That will usually end up bouncing the ball to the right side with the drop targets.

The biggest takeaway here is to trap the ball on the right flipper after it exits the basement.

Here's a vid of me earning the goal:

Eternal21

Jun 3, 2018
Congrats! That's a tricky table to deal with. I'm not nearly as far along as you are.

Thanks. Yes, it's a journey, especially when you're just starting on seasnon 2 now. But I have a feeling it will be mostly downhill now that I'm done with Goin' Nuts. Then again, I thought the same thing after 3M on Genie. Good luck with your wizards goals as well.

skippycue

Jul 16, 2013
This was definitely the hardest wizard goal for this table. The table has a strange layout and it can be very hard to trap balls for precise shots. I also found the cellar playfield to be very visually distracting. I kept losing site of the ball as it passed over it briefly. There was some sort of weird visual trick of the eyes for me that I never got used to. Fortunately, progress you make toward this goal carries over to the next ball so that helps a lot!

There are several very useful shots that are pretty easy and will help to accomplish this very challenging wizard goal:
  • Enter the attic from the plunger by pulling it down 2 major bars from the top. This should give you a chance to clear some of those drop targets right away!
  • When the ball exits the cellar, let it dead pass from the left flipper to the far right flipper for an easy trap. However, the best way to get back to the attic is from the left flipper so this is not helpful in that effort. I found that a pretty decent alternative to the dead pass it to raise the left flipper so the ball bounces off it toward the pop bumper. Then a little left nudge will change the trajectory that the ball hits the pop bumper to be much less severe, often leading to some combination of dead bounces to a catch on the left flipper. Hard to explain, but you can see me using this technique a lot in the video when trying to get to the attic.
  • When the ball comes out of the right side kicker (extra ball hole), most of the time you can let it dead bounce off the far left flipper and then catch it on the lower left flipper. Sometimes you may need to manipulate it with a slight nudge.
  • You can easily enter the cellar from a caught right flipper through the Secret Passage. I do this a lot in the video. Once you finish the attic, you'll want to get this shot down. This is also very useful for increasing the bonus once double bonus is lit in the cellar.
  • The hardest shot for me on this table was shooting the 3 holes at the top of the table. Fortunately, you can get some pretty decent chances at this with a late shot off the far right flipper.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.