Turn off auto-update on Steam version?

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Don't think so.
updates.jpg

You probably have to stay offline or deny internet access to Steam.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Damn... I was hoping there would be a trick other than that. I can't keep the cab offline.
Thanks man.

MagnumXL

Apr 23, 2013
Send Steam feedback; it seems to be a Steam limitation. The App Store version (Mac) can be denied any update as long as you desire. It seems Steam decided to be like Windows 10 and CRAM all updates down our throats whether we want them or not (buggy or not). Users don't have 'rights' anymore of any kind, it seems.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Steam and Origin are like this. If you're online and the game indicates that it needs an update, you're forced to take the update.

Steam etc. are just content providers. They don't provide support for the games themselves. Therefore it is in their best interests to ensure that everyone's content is up-to-date so that when a user requests support from the company that provided the content to Steam, it can be reasonably expected that they're on the most recent version, and start from there.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
I hope i am not being too nosy, but i would have thought updating PBA was always the way to go, fixing all the bugs and making the game better, is there areason you don't want it updated, is it something to do with it being a cab.

Feel free not to answer my nosy questions, ;)

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Yeah. If they ever actually completely change the UI it will break my cab and all the scripting that makes it work would need to be re-written before it worked again.
If I could disable it I could still have a working cab until the module was re-written to work.

Maybe I could make a backup of the TPA folder. That way if it does update I could delete the entire folder and use the old one... might work.

MagnumXL

Apr 23, 2013
I hope i am not being too nosy, but i would have thought updating PBA was always the way to go, fixing all the bugs and making the game better, is there areason you don't want it updated, is it something to do with it being a cab.

Feel free not to answer my nosy questions, ;)

For the same reason as people don't want Microsoft Windows forced updates with Windows 10. In a perfect world, things would only improve and bugs would only get fixed. In the real world, sometimes new bugs get introduced inadvertently or beloved features are removed for "simplicity" or other absurd reasons. Some people simply prefer to see feedback that everything is fine first and maybe have time to backup the old version just in case.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.