Stern Spider-Man Vault Edition

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I see Stern has announced there will be a vault edition of Spider-Man. A very good modern Stern pin in my opinion. Is anyone going to lay out the coin to get one? MSRP $7,595

I'm guessing this might also mean Spider-Man might make an appearance on the new Stern Pinball Arcade app.

More info from Stern

While the gameplay in Marvel's Spider-Man will remain largely the same as the 2007 version, the game will look and sound different than its predecessor in many ways. Here are some of the major changes:

All art (playfield, plastics, side-art, back glass, etc.) is based on the Ultimate Spider-Man comics. Art pulled directly from the comics (by Mark Bagley) was repurposed for the machine.
Animations on the dot matrix display have been redone to match the theme.
Game modes have been changed to reflect events in the comics, not the movies.
All toys have been re-sculpted to match the theme.
Voice actors have re-recorded all sounds and speech. Two new songs have been added to the original game's score, to boot.
Stern's Director of Marketing at Stern Pinball, Jody Dankberg, told IGN that when they brought up the idea of a Spider-Man reissue with Marvel it was Marvel's idea to "make it more Marvel than Sam Raimi's Spider-Man." He adds, "It's been transformed into a comic book world, so the layout and the colors are very similar, and all the images and stuff are ripped straight out of Ultimate Spider-Man."

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I like that they're going with the comic book art, not the usual photoshopped movie trash they've been putting out.

Hopefully with KISS and now the Spidey Vault edition, it's a trend that will continue with new Stern tables.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I like that they're going with the comic book art, not the usual photoshopped movie trash they've been putting out.
I of course agree with you, but the playfield differences appear negligible to me in terms of aesthetics.

image-51.jpg

5.jpg

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Anytime photoshopped images are replaced with hand drawn is a good thing. Also, Spider-Man comic is timeless, Spiderman 3, not so much.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Anytime photoshopped images are replaced with hand drawn is a good thing. Also, Spider-Man comic is timeless, Spiderman 3, not so much.

Yep... it's a shame they continued with Sandman front-and-center, GG or Doc Ock better represent Spidey villains IMO. Particularly in that Spider-Man 2 was the definitive Comic Book movie, at least until Winter Soldier.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
That backglass is horrible.

Regardless, Spider-Man is a really good pinball machine, and I'm glad to see that Stern thinks that as well. Hopefully the machine is a huge success in terms of sales and location play.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Yep... it's a shame they continued with Sandman front-and-center, GG or Doc Ock better represent Spidey villains IMO. Particularly in that Spider-Man 2 was the definitive Comic Book movie, at least until Winter Soldier.
---
Yeah...you are so right about the front and center issue. Yet, great table eh. :cool:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I actually like the new backglass and cabinet. Not that I hated the original Spider-Man that Stern put out. I didn't think they needed to change anything. But I always like to see more of the hand drawn stuff.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
it looks so fresh and tasty ;) This was the last real pinball table I played about 3 years ago , sand man in the center is nasty but its still a fun game to play.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I love the appearance over the original. Anything that can distance Spider-Man from the movie franchise is a good thing for the most part. Mark Bagley is the modern definitive artist for Spidey, even though I'd have loved it if they had the John Romita Sr. artwork used. There is a lot of good art here. I've heard the new call-outs and voice acting is pretty weak. That's a disappointment. They did a great job with the sounds and voices in the original. Will have to check it out. I do enjoy the original table; it has a fun layout, good tricks, and modes that work well to the theme.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
At least it's not McFarlane art style. Too much contorting.

Possibly my least favorite Spidey artist ever. Erik Larsen was pretty horrible as he followed McFarlane and tried to continue that style but by the end it became kind of John Byrne-ish which wasn't so bad. Of course not at John Byrne's level, either.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Possibly my least favorite Spidey artist ever.
I like McFarlane though not as much as I thought I did.

978221.jpg

I was never into Spider-Man comics, but my favorite Spidey artist is the original one.

27879.jpg

These two both get extra points for doing their own inking.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Really? I'd say the new art looks drastically better. Night and day.

I love great comic book art probably more than any other art except modern fine art. But I don't care for this 21st-century computer-generated comic book "art". It's OK I guess but nothing special. Maybe I'm too old. And the original machine's playfield appearance is IMO not too bad for a Stern. I might change my mind if I ever saw them in person. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.