Tactics and Strategy

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The first one i played in real life was definitely difficult and full of life. the voices were easily 3 times as loud as they are on TPA. I was never able to get an eye locked!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, there's a big difference between what is lifeless in a real table and what becomes lifeless in TPA.

So after moaning and groaning about wizard goals in TX-Sector, I have to laugh at the ones in Hurricane. First off I'm really surprised they passed up the opportunity to torture us with trying to get 3 balls onto the Ferris Wheel at the same time. I'm happy they didn't, but it does seem like an obvious one. I'm not a fan of the 15m+ jackpot style goals due to them being able to be carried over game to game rather than proving your worth in a single game. Lighting PALACE and Clown Time do the same thing, so 3 goals of this nature was a little lazy on FarSight's part.

I am very surprised at how basic this table is for a DMD era game. There is nothing about it that couldn't have been an alpha numeric, and I wonder if it wasn't designed as such to begin with. I had been thinking my memory of this being not as good as Cyclone was maybe incorrect, but after one afternoon of playing it and essentially discovering everything, I stick by my original assessment. I'm not really a fan of Cyclone either, and find Comet exceedingly dull, so there's that too.

My best scores came once I was trying to get 3 multiballs in one game so I could light Special. Took a while for me to figure out the angle on the duck drops, but once I had that, and now a lot of multiball starts, the game kinda ceased in fun and turned into a one note grind fest.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I am very surprised at how basic this table is for a DMD era game. There is nothing about it that couldn't have been an alpha numeric, and I wonder if it wasn't designed as such to begin with.

That was normal for the early DMD games. Terminator 2 (besides the video mode), Checkpoint, Gilligan's Island, Party Zone, and maybe even Getaway are like that. Having a DMD didn't automatically make the games deeper. It took a while to explore the new medium.

Same as when solid-state games first appeared. The likes of Genie, Firepower, Gorgar could have been done as EMs (so much so that people even commonly think they are.) It took a while to find uses for the technology. Space Shuttle's stop-and-score is about the first element in a SS game that couldn't have been done in an EM.

tenparts

Aug 1, 2015
Of course, "deeper" is up to debate. More rules does not necessarily make for a better game. I point to my older post.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.