Hurricane - first impressions

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The game seems to play well. Feels pretty good to me.
But I just have to say what a great job the art team did with this one. It looks fantastic. And this is not an easy table to reproduce considering the busy art and that crazy ramp cutting across the playfield. Compared to season 1, the art and lighting has improved so much. And I'm only playing on an iPad. I image on PC with the lighting darkened, this must be spectacular. Well done Farsight!

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Same experience for me, plays very nice. It's an improved Cyclone with a nice multiball and without those punishing ramps. If you miss them on Hurricane it is of your own doing. It's a good thing that the EB's are finite (except getting lucky at the wheel) otherwise the usual suspects would go easily beyond 1B, oh wait Tarek already passed 2.5B.... :rolleyes:

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
Hurricane is fun to play, and I love the backglass circular animation....even spinning in attract mode. My "wish" is for FarSight to go back to Gottlieb's Black Hole and have the spinning animation implemented. It's such a neat effect!

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Same experience for me, plays very nice. It's an improved Cyclone with a nice multiball and without those punishing ramps. If you miss them on Hurricane it is of your own doing. It's a good thing that the EB's are finite (except getting lucky at the wheel) otherwise the usual suspects would go easily beyond 1B, oh wait Tarek already passed 2.5B.... :rolleyes:
Yeah... 2.5B. Took me an hour to get 366M and the scoring is linear so that must've been a 6 to 8 hour game? And it only came out 24 hours ago. And Tarek already had 600M+ before that.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I've said this before but I'm in awe of the sheer mental stamina that is required for that kind of scores, and that is besides the skill/precision part.

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Yeah... 2.5B. Took me an hour to get 366M and the scoring is linear so that must've been a 6 to 8 hour game? And it only came out 24 hours ago. And Tarek already had 600M+ before that.

I haven't watched the clock but not 6 or 8 hours, should be 4 or 5 hours max. The key for good scores is simple as always. Ignore all the "toys" like Ferris Wheel, Jackpot, Dummy (after getting the two EBs.), Clown Time, Skillshot, Palace Letters and Hurricane and go for Multiball only. It's boring but remember that 39 ramp shots during MB give you another 100M. That's it.

Last edited:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
that 39 ramp shots during MB give you another 100M. That's it.
so............ around 1000 ramp shots later one has 2.5 B
Piece-of-cake-icon.png

I really like this one. By far the best one for me in S5. Haters of TPZ will probably hate audio in this one also :D

Rudy hates me

Jan 13, 2014
Can't believe the lack of negativity (so far) in this thread. I've wanted this since day 1 as it's a fun table with a lot of nostalgia attached to it for me, but I thought the masses wouldn't be impressed, partly because it's not exactly deep for a DMD table. Reading this thread has been a pleasant surprise. Great table.

Now, where's Mousin' Around?

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Can't believe the lack of negativity (so far) in this thread. I've wanted this since day 1 as it's a fun table with a lot of nostalgia attached to it for me, but I thought the masses wouldn't be impressed, partly because it's not exactly deep for a DMD table. Reading this thread has been a pleasant surprise. Great table.

maybe the negative Nancy's have moved on to other forums. If people don't like Hurricane, that's fine. That's called an opinion. For me, I am having a lot of fun with Hurricane. Whether or not I return to it after all is said and done is yet to be determined. But as always, I love revisiting an underrated table, so I'm sure that'll happen in the future. For now though, I love it

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I was one of those detractors of Hurricane. Remembering all the times I was disappointed by it. I don't know why, maybe age, wisdom, whatever, but I'm really liking it now. I'll probably have a hard time going back to Comet if it's ever released.

Allana

Feb 18, 2013

It is fun for what it is. On my 4th game I had the shots down and was into it for about a half hour, then just quit out of boredom. There will be days when I am in a different mood where I will enjoy it more. This will be good for 20 minute tourneys as well.

MWink

Jan 13, 2013

I'm glad you're enjoying it but count me among the unimpressed. Granted, I like it better than Cyclone but that's not saying much since Cyclone is one of my least favorite tables in TPA. I just don't like much of anything about either of these tables. There's too much emphasis on repeating the same shot over and over. I also dislike the aspects (excessively long ramps, ferris wheels, spinning disc, etc.) that take the ball out of play for so long. I'm not a fan of the theme, look, or sound of these tables either. I'm glad some people are enjoying them but they're just not for me. On the plus side, I'm still really enjoying Fireball and Judge Dredd.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014

-----
Like it a good deal too. Especially, Pennywise. :cool:

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
really like the table. Just wish they would separate the leaderboards. I play on mobile and hate seeing PC scores at the top of the leaderboard.

Members online

Members online