Most Difficult Table

gordonabrown

May 3, 2016
What is your most difficult table? Not necessarily the one with most difficult goals (Genie 3m) but the one you have the most trouble putting up a respectable score.

For me it's gotta be Rescue 911. It was a table I was anticipating but man, do I suck at it. I just can't seem to grasp what to do on it yet. Even though I said your most difficult table doesn't need be the one with the most difficult goal, I will add that this is the only table on which I have yet to complete a single Wizard Goal.

Second place, probably Frankenstein.

I recently clicked with Starship Troopers, and although I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be, I enjoy it much more now.

invitro

May 4, 2012
My top score is in the top 60 on all tables except...

- #480 Central Park: can't seem to figure it out, maybe it's particularly tough on PC/keyboard. No trouble at all getting all 15 EB's, just can't score.
- #215 Harley: haven't mastered its damn video mode, which is required for good scores.
- #118 El Dorado City of Gold: do not like on a boat, do not like with a goat, though I've tried again and again (but not since El Dorado (EM) dropped).
- #116 Bride of Pinbot: would take too much time to get in top 60 <shrug>.
- #108 Genie: I do like Genie, a lot, so I don't know what my problem is here. I think I am getting psyched out trying to find the best way to hit the Extra Ball targets.
- #100 Theatre of Magic: too many games to compete against, I guess. Get psyched out trying to start the wizard mode during multiball.
- #96 El Dorado (EM): more Gottlieb woes. You need to average >50k per ball to beat this, and I get 50k on a ball only about 10% of the time, not good enough.
- #88 Safe Cracker: too much luck factor? Also: Candy is a filthy whore.
- TX-Sector, JD-Super Game: haven't played yet. :eek:
- TotAN: leaderboard bugs.
Honorable mention: #59 Big Shot: was under #250 for ever, finally "figured it out" a couple of weeks ago, so there's hope for Gottliebs yet.
Honorable mention: #55 Tee'd Off: I can beat this one, I've just been putting it off, it kind of annoys me. Whoever thought having a fat guy shaking his ass on the DMD was an enticing way to start a game?
Honorable mention: #51 Earthshaker: The drop target Jackpot+Extra Ball is a lot harder than I previously claimed, which embarrasses me, and the manic music is awesomely great but makes my blood pressure get uncomfortably high in longer games, so I've avoided a little bit. Plus, I loved this table so much when it was new back in 1989-1991, so I'm a little sad to not love it quite so much now (in contrast to Whirlwind, e.g.).

Thank you for allowing me to take some loads off my chest and feel ashamed... :eek:

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
"Candy is a filthy whore" ^ :D
Love that and agree with it.

For me it's STTNG. The hidden from view, vacuum outlanes just ruin that game for me. I rarely play it and my scores are usually terrible. I don't seem to have the same problem on the real pin.
My second toughest would BS Drac. Seems like I have to play 10 games to have one solid one. I play this one pretty often, but I never seem to get any consistency.

Last edited:

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Harley: haven't mastered its damn video mode, which is required for good scores.

Yes, it's annoying when a video mode is required for a good score. If you're interested here's a perfect route from AntonR, found in this thread: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/8666-Harley-Davidson-Tips-and-Strategies

videomode.gif

Same problem for me with AfM. I'm unable to get the video mode EB. Found a lot of hints but haven't finished this one once. :(

invitro

May 4, 2012
My second toughest would BS Drac. Seems like I have to play 10 games to have one solid one. I play this one pretty often, but I never seem to get any consistency.
I'm #7 on Dracula so it's one of my best tables, but I do have to restart it several times before getting a groove up. But I love the table enough that I don't mind putting in the time... and remembering to loop the ramp every time, all game long, to get those precious extra balls.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Yes, it's annoying when a video mode is required for a good score. If you're interested here's a perfect route from AntonR, found in this thread: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/8666-Harley-Davidson-Tips-and-Strategies
Thank you Tarek, yes I used that very gif to get my first perfect, the last time HD3e was in the tournament. And I got up to having a perfect about 15% of the time, but that's not nearly good enough. I'll work on it again the next time it's in a tourney, or maybe a little sooner...

I've gotten the AFM video mode EB many times, but I think I'm not getting it enough and still need to work on it. I've been thinking that my general poor play is what's holding me back on AFM (I'm #37), but the video mode may be my real problem. I've never read hints on it, perhaps thinking that I was playing it well enough, dating all the way back to 1996, wow AFM has been out for twenty years, I'm getting so old. :mad:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'm #7 on Dracula so it's one of my best tables, but I do have to restart it several times before getting a groove up. But I love the table enough that I don't mind putting in the time... and remembering to loop the ramp every time, all game long, to get those precious extra balls.

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't consistently have good games, but I keep coming back. Just keep trying to get all those multiballs going is fun. Bad games don't seem to bother me on this one. I'm terrible at the real life version as well.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Starship Troopers is bad. I didn't have the patience to even try to get a good score on it in the last tournament. And I know that this discussion is about hard tables, but Goin' Nuts is both bad and hard. I still haven't gotten that 150 (or 180?) seconds standard goal.

Steve

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
For me it's either Fish Tales or Bram Stoker's Dracula. There's some games on Fish Tales where you score minimal points because of how multiball is really the only correct way to score on that game, and BSD is generally difficult in general.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Funny how no one mentioned Firepower. Maybe no one plays it because of the infinite bonus bug that is still unresolved.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Champion Pub for sure. I could never get the timings on the shots right, and the playfield feels too cramped so I never put that much time into it.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Funny how no one mentioned Firepower. Maybe no one plays it because of the infinite bonus bug that is still unresolved.
I've played Firepower tons of times, and have never gotten this bug. I don't think it's very hard either, if you play it correctly :).

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
^ Firepower got the fix on PC but not on ps yet. The table plays much better and thus easier imo on PC.

Updates are not always good it seems tho. Space Shuttle plays better on PS than PC, the right outlane is much less greedy.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
My god, I want nothing more from Farsight than platform parity in gameplay. It will never happen.

BTW, I also hate video modes. If I wanted to play a video game I would play a video game. The collision detection on those is always terrible and the games always feel sluggish.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Oh, I forgot to mention Safecracker, a game that truly relies more on luck (that stupid game board) than skill.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.