Impressions and Strategy thread

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
So what are your thoughts on this recreation? Are you enjoying it? To tell the truth, I wasn't a big fan of it at first; but now that I got to ins and outs of the table better, I'm having a lot of fun. Dalek multiball is pretty cool, too.

Btw, you guys have any tips for the goal where you have to get all the doctors in one ball? Is it a good idea to always start with 7, since he helps starting multiball?

Last edited:

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
I'm very underwhelmed so far. I don't like the table in real life, and this version isn't really moving the needle. There is just not a lot gong on with the playfield. So much wasted real estate.

The only real satisfying shots IMO on the real table are the center shots, but they suffer badly in translation to TPA physics. Seems to be only one or two very precise ways to hit the center hole during multiball, for example, which yes it makes things harder but artificially so.

I'm just not seeing it yet with this one.

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
Video mode + score multiplier. That's it.

I do like the video mode on this table. But it's strange that it becomes easier instead of more difficult.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Eh, I can't seem to get the hang of jumping on the Video Mode. Every time I try to jump over something with the long jump, it fails.

Is my timing off or something, it's like you have to be in the perfect spot.

Last edited:

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Eh, I can't seem to get the hang of jumping on the Video Mode. Every time I try to jump over something with the long jump, it fails.

Is my timing off or something, it's like you have to be in the perfect spot.
Are you aware you need to press both Flipper buttons at the same time for a long jump?

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Really? Man, I've been doing it wrong the entire time. I thought it was one flipper for each jump, guess I just didn't read that one properly. Oops.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
This is tuned to the point of ridiculousness.

The all important center sots are impossible to hit with any form of reliability.

The cliffhanger ramp is much easier in real life.

The bet way to get 7 doctors same ball is to start with doctor 1, who gets you to video mode faster, and to transmat doctors when they are lit. Ideally you will hoot the bumpers thee times, and get transmat lit and escape. you will then transmat doctor 1, changing you to doctor seven. You will then escape with doctor 7 in video mode, to light doctor 6, and get your playfield multiplier help. just keep shooting escape and the bumpers over and over, and before long you will have your 7 doctors same ball bonus.

You may fail to transmat. Jut keep going for video mode, it's the easiest way by far to get those doctors. If you are just going for the wizard goal, you should ignore the multiplier... but if yo actually want points you should fail the video mode at the end on purpose if you have less than 4x.

I am better at this game in real life then in TPA. The flippers are NOT TUNED RIGHT.

Here is how they should work.

From a trap on the right, a shot to Hang on/H with the lightning flipper should require that the ball starts to roll off the edge of the flipper. aka REALLY HARD SHOT. but shooting any of the three holes should be relatively easy from a trap.

Even not from a trap it should be possible to reliably hit the middle hole from either flipper.

The cliffhanger ramp has a sweet spot the size of a mack truck in real life, and shooting it 8-10 times in a row is not uncommon. If i fail to get the multiplier up to 4x every time i get the ball on the upper flipper outside of W-H-O, i feel like a failure in real life.

On the other hand, the standups of doom on the time expander are surprisingly kind. In real life doctor 7 is so essential in phase 2 because those shot are so incredibly risky. Even with the doctors help you are doing damn good if you can start multiball twice.

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
I had a good game with 64 billion and at the end of the game it gives me only 44 billion? Something goes wrong AGAIN with a big bonus i guess. But i don't get it, big bonusses weren't a problem in my previous games with over 20 and 30 billion? O well, i guess i have to get used to it, it's TPA after all.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
That's a lot. My high score is 358 million but it doesn't seem to give me any points at all. I assumed that either the points thing is broken, or the game was sniggering at me

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I had a good game with 64 billion and at the end of the game it gives me only 44 billion? Something goes wrong AGAIN with a big bonus i guess. But i don't get it, big bonusses weren't a problem in my previous games with over 20 and 30 billion? O well, i guess i have to get used to it, it's TPA after all.

Does the score display roll at 9,999,999,990? If so it's going to be the same rollover issue as in CftBL; just more difficult to mitigate, I imagine, because it's triggered by something unintentional (a drain) instead of intentional (Jackpot/Super Jackpot).

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
I feel a little stupid but i don't know exactly what you mean.. ?

But it's not logical, when i play and get a good video mode score (over 30 waves it gives good points when you complete the last wave) with score multiplier x4 and get above 2 billion points for that it gives no problem with rollover. Maybe only when draining and a big bonus above billion?

JefferyD

May 10, 2013
Played the trial version of Doctor Who and it’s pretty great. Felt the same way about Eight Ball Deluxe, but I’m an iOs guy so I can’t purchase the season until after all the tables come out.

I buy the pro versions because I like to mess with the settings, but buying those one at a time – while still a bargain! – would look bad on the credit card when the wife goes over my list of purchases. My allowance might take a hit if she’s in the wrong mood.

Still, I’m this close to just buying EBD and Doctor Who because, even in frustratingly short bursts, they really hit the spot for me.

I liked Big Hurt, too; when they first released it, I think they didn’t hit the kill switch on the trial version. I played it a lot, but the fun ended on the next update, and now I’m seeing three tables I really want to play RIGHT NOW!

But I should wait. Shouldn’t I? I should. Might not, tho. But if I’m weak and buy now that might lead to more moments of weakness. That’s what, 25 bucks for 3 tables? That’s not good, from the wife’s perspective. A bargain, yes. But the wife…

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.