Ask Me Almost Anything

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Hmmm, I re-ripped, noticed each texture had a black border.. but comparing what you've got and what I posted earlier, it's likey the bottom texture is just too high up and under the upper texture in game or perhaps the upper texture is too low?

Your source looks much better than our end
v0QgTK4.png

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
Hmmm, I re-ripped, noticed each texture had a black border.. but comparing what you've got and what I posted earlier, it's likey the bottom texture is just too high up and under the upper texture in game or perhaps the upper texture is too low?

Your source looks much better than our end
v0QgTK4.png

The problem is the game isn't using those 2 textures, it's using these 8 textures that make up the playfield and if I adjust those textures I'll probably break something else. It'll just take a long time too.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
my previous post was DX11, this is DX9
mBojgWm.png

it didnt have boarders along on the textures, so I sat them next to eachother

the contrast between versions is pretty large, did DX11 get too dark with its adjustable lighting?
It's likely before your time, if you could ask someone else some other time would be cool.

Last edited:

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
my previous post was DX11, this is DX9
mBojgWm.png

it didnt have boarders along on the textures, so I sat them next to eachother

the contrast between versions is pretty large, did DX11 get too dark with its adjustable lighting?
It's likely before your time, if you could ask someone else some other time would be cool.

No artist is left from the days of Black Hole.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
I know they mentioned in some of the Twitch streams that many of the original people that worked on the pinball collections for the consoles, when they had Crave as a developer, were gone and that they weren't exactly pinball people so they didn't have the passion that is currently at Farsight.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
I know they mentioned in some of the Twitch streams that many of the original people that worked on the pinball collections for the consoles, when they had Crave as a developer, were gone and that they weren't exactly pinball people so they didn't have the passion that is currently at Farsight.
I'm not necessarily passionate about pinball, but I am passionate about doing good work and I'm passionate about video games in general. I couldn't talk for anyone that used to be here.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
But it could still get fixed eventually, right?

Imho the table that needs some love in the visual department most is MB, love this table

I'd like to redo Monster Bash, is it a popular table? The Blackhole thing seems like it'll take too long to fix and I might either end up not actually fixing it or breaking something else. If it looked the way it did in the source file it'd be way easier to fix because I'd b3 able to diagnose it accurately.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I'd like to redo Monster Bash, is it a popular table? The Blackhole thing seems like it'll take too long to fix and I might either end up not actually fixing it or breaking something else. If it looked the way it did in the source file it'd be way easier to fix because I'd b3 able to diagnose it accurately.

If you're interested in getting an idea for which tables people will be the most passionate about having perfect, here are the two most commonly referenced top pinball lists:

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100
http://www.ipdb.org/lists.cgi?puid=36979&browser=1517090161&list=top300

Monster Bash is #3 on one and #10 on the other. Most of the season 1 tables are extremely well-known and well-regarded.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
If you're interested in getting an idea for which tables people will be the most passionate about having perfect, here are the two most commonly referenced top pinball lists:

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100
http://www.ipdb.org/lists.cgi?puid=36979&browser=1517090161&list=top300

Monster Bash is #3 on one and #10 on the other. Most of the season 1 tables are extremely well-known and well-regarded.

I know about those sites, I use them myself, just wanted to hear what this board feels about it. And I was too lazy to look myself...

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
[MENTION=7069]FarSight_Matt[/MENTION] You can get a better idea of what TPA users feel are the most popular tables
HERE

Just select Results at the top of the page.

The M

Aug 20, 2017
Any chance the score board on Cyclone can be fixed? Everything else on it looks fine. Also the score board for TX Sector is messed up too. I think several others are.

The M

Aug 20, 2017
They do not work and are cosmetically incorrect. Check them out and see what you think. Look at the table in Pro Mode Exploration. You can see it really well on both of them.

funchords

May 13, 2017
On the back panel of Scared Stiff, the bottom three items of the spider's web are so bright that they look like they're always lit. They're even brighter when they are lit. Is this an art thing?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've mentioned it many times in our BlahCade podcast, but I'll throw it out here for you Matt.

One of my biggest issues is always with the lighting, specifically DX11. If you look at Champion Pub or Cactus Canyon, the boxer and Bart are both in the dark. Ambient light from bulbs should light them up a bit, or at the very least the toys themselves should reflect highlights. Look at any picture on the web of these under 'dark' room conditions, and you'll see just how lit these are. In TPA, they are completely unlit. One of the things I like about DX11 is the lack of baked in lighting, but sometimes things like these should get that treatment.

My other complaint about lighting is it's always too hot at 50% and above. Inserts are blown out so you can't read the decal over the top of them, hot points on the table look washed out, etc. The way it's set now, 50% looks more like what I'd expect 80% to be. Just wondering what your thoughts are about this and if it's correctable.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
So Shutyertrap wants the baked in lighting to work on the toys (which admittedly is before his time there, for champ pub & CC).

I don't know if Matt takes part in the DX11 lighting decisions. IF he does I'd have more questions about the challenges involved there.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
I've mentioned it many times in our BlahCade podcast, but I'll throw it out here for you Matt.

One of my biggest issues is always with the lighting, specifically DX11. If you look at Champion Pub or Cactus Canyon, the boxer and Bart are both in the dark. Ambient light from bulbs should light them up a bit, or at the very least the toys themselves should reflect highlights. Look at any picture on the web of these under 'dark' room conditions, and you'll see just how lit these are. In TPA, they are completely unlit. One of the things I like about DX11 is the lack of baked in lighting, but sometimes things like these should get that treatment.

My other complaint about lighting is it's always too hot at 50% and above. Inserts are blown out so you can't read the decal over the top of them, hot points on the table look washed out, etc. The way it's set now, 50% looks more like what I'd expect 80% to be. Just wondering what your thoughts are about this and if it's correctable.

I don't decide how DX11 is lit, I just put lights where they belong on the table... I guess we need an overhead light for all tables, but I'm not sure how that would work or if our lighting engine can do that, but going forward I will take all of this into consideration for future tables. Lighting takes a bit of time and it's a major hit on performance on some platforms so I can't go adding new DX11 lights.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.