Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Click here to go to the first FarSight post in this thread.   Thread: Ask Me Almost Anything

My Devices
    PS3, PC, Nexus 7 (2013), 3DS XL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your feedback.

I can definitely round off the objects, I was being too conservative with the poly count. I was actually afraid that 19k polys would be too many which was why I was hesitant to round off those rubber bands, rails, and other objects. I'm glad to know that I shouldn't hesitate to shoot for the higher poly counts (80k or more) as you suggested.

I used a point and shoot camera for the playfield texture (Panasonic DMC-ZS3). The playfield resolution came out to 2232x3968. I just tested the reduce noise filter with your recomended settings and it helped quite a bit. I will still need to retake the picture, because the text, lines, and other fine details on the playfield should be clearer than it is currently appearing. I will dig deeper in the camera's exposure settings to try to reduce the noise and capture the playfield's details better.

About your playfield texture resolution, do you take one picture of the entire playfield and split it into two textures? Or do you take two seperate pictures (top and bottom)?

I can add the holes with the sides, and remove the parts in photoshop that couldn't be physically removed from the table. I'll look into the bake shading.

The texel density video was very helpful, thanks for sharing.

Again, thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.
    PSN ID: thegamepro

2.   Click here to go to the next FarSight post in this thread.   #152
    FarSight Employee FarSight_Matt's Avatar
    My Devices
    Pixel, PC, Switch
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We take one picture with a 18MP camera. Then while cleaning up if there's any glare spots or other issues I'll take a handheld shot and composite it in.

My Devices
    Samsungy Galaxy S5, S7 edge, PC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Future Pinball was using 200k+ polygons (strictly triangles) 10 years ago on an average modern style table at the highest quality settings... but obviously polycount isn't everything.

4.   This is the last FarSight post in this thread.   #154
    FarSight Employee FarSight_Matt's Avatar
    My Devices
    Pixel, PC, Switch
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lio View Post
    Future Pinball was using 200k+ polygons (strictly triangles) 10 years ago on an average modern style table at the highest quality settings... but obviously polycount isn't everything.
    Big Buck is around 200k at max, 50k for mobile... it ain't easy to go from 200k to 50k lemme tell ya.

But the simplicity of the table you're making you shouldn't need more than 80k
    Last edited by FarSight_Matt; 09-20-2018 at 12:18 AM.

My Devices
    Surface Book 2 and Pixel XL 2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarSight_Matt View Post
    Big Buck is around 200k at max, 50k for mobile... it ain't easy to go from 200k to 50k lemme tell ya.

But the simplicity of the table you're making you shouldn't need more than 80k
    Wow a quarter of the polys. It's a wonder the table doesn't look square.

I need to take a look at this on Steam...
    Find me on:
    Twitter | Google+ | Blab.im | GitHub | LinkedIn

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567