Screenshot comparison Steam vs. Android

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
This is what it looks like on Android:

This is what Whoa Nellie looks on Steam DX11 with Standard lighting on (50%/50%):

Why do the colors look better on Android than on DX11? I have been playing around with different light settings, it doesn't really get any better on Steam.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Colors are so much better on Android! Plus there's no seem running across the middle.

Zooming in on your photo, it's interesting how the text on the raised plastics is crisp while the playfield graphics and text are a little fuzzy. I get why you'd do that effect, except we're talking an inch of height and if you were looking through a 40mm lens (approximately the equivalent to our eyes) at 3 feet away, the focus wouldn't be that dramatic. Regardless, the Steam version looks like garbage.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I can't speak for the Steam (or iOS) beta-testing groups, but the Android beta testing group is very active and most versions that come out have a ton of stuff flagged up - especially when it comes to things like lighting and art. I imagine lighting is one area where the mobile and Steam builds differ greatly, because Steam has dynamic lighting vs. fixed/"baked in" lighting on mobile.

Is there a DX9 version of Nellie? That might be an interesting comparison.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Well that and Matt told us it has been sent out with the wrong/old texture - not the release version but an old working version.

So we will soon se an update on this I hope :)

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Colors are so much better on Android! Plus there's no seem running across the middle.

Zooming in on your photo, it's interesting how the text on the raised plastics is crisp while the playfield graphics and text are a little fuzzy. I get why you'd do that effect, except we're talking an inch of height and if you were looking through a 40mm lens (approximately the equivalent to our eyes) at 3 feet away, the focus wouldn't be that dramatic. Regardless, the Steam version looks like garbage.

The new assets didn't make it in the current PC build, from what I've heard, oddly enough.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That’s just terrible. We never even had those in the beta to comment on. And I know I asked too.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
It's amazing, with so much time between the last release and this, you'd expect there would have been room for one week more to get things cleaned up before releasing it.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
I'm working on this, those are the really old textures and models, somebody did something wrong when they packaged the table. It's honestly unacceptable and I'm pretty pissed.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I thought this would be the case, couldn't imagine this would be the final version.

dmil666

May 19, 2018
I'm working on this, those are the really old textures and models, somebody did something wrong when they packaged the table. It's honestly unacceptable and I'm pretty pissed.

How about the sound? The sound levels on the steam version are really low.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Really? This is FarSight's answer to Zen's beta release of Williams tables?

Big Buck and Nellie were announced nearly two years ago. (Although Buck was announced considerably later)
Seems more unpolished than usual. And oh by the way-I got the Nellie score achievement before I even scored a single point on it.
Haven't even bought the pack yet (it was the trial version)-Imagine that!

The Zen-Williams beta was announced last week. It's just a beta-and already seems better than the TPA verions.

I'm much more excited about the latter-even though I already own the TPA versions of all four WMS tables.

Last edited:

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
How about the sound? The sound levels on the steam version are really low.

It's been bugged, that's as far as I can go fixing the sound issues.

If anyone has any visual art related issues I'm all ears and will try my best to get them fixed asap.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

If anyone has any visual art related issues I'm all ears and will try my best to get them fixed asap.

The star rollovers when lit lose all believability and are blown out, and the plunger has like 2 colors and no detail. It’s like a cartoon.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

Kinda hoping you're all eyes when it comes to art issues, and all ears for sound issues.

I'm here all week. Try the veal.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
Also the current Woa Nelly on steam is the only table on which I run into performance issues in 4K...

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
That looks much better now - and in game even better than on this screenshot. Well done!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.