Williams' Collection Volume 5 guesses

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
I’m very confused. I watched Chris’ micro-cab solo video yesterday and I’m almost certain he said that they usually get 3 weeks for Zen betas.

So two weeks ahead of the 7-day advance release announcement. My ears must be playing up because I honestly believe that is what he said. [MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION] did you say that or am I going senile

So to now hear Volume 5 has been in beta since July is incredulous as I was thinking I recall reading over on the PBFX3 Discord people from the company and beta testers say it isn’t in Beta. Must be non-committal misdirection that I have construed for fact. Bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
We asked for a little more time with the betas. They gave us that!

To be clear, we’ve had the beta since the very end of July, but obviously all focus was to be on the Switch getting Star Wars. That’s why I waited until after that release to even mention being in beta. Mel said I could say that much. NDA’s are fun.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
[MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION] So when you recorded that Micro-Cab solo video, you were in actual fact in the Beta period for Volume 5? I do appreciate NDAs but it felt as if you were strongly suggesting that Volume 5 wasn’t even in Beta yet? So that’s more than just saying nothing. You were suggesting it hadn’t happened yet? Guess I’m easily confused, lol!

Whatever the case, just happy to hear we might be near seeing the release of Volume 5 at last.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
[MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION] So when you recorded that Micro-Cab solo video, you were in actual fact in the Beta period for Volume 5? I do appreciate NDAs but it felt as if you were strongly suggesting that Volume 5 wasn’t even in Beta yet? So that’s more than just saying nothing. You were suggesting it hadn’t happened yet? Guess I’m easily confused, lol!

Whatever the case, just happy to hear we might be near seeing the release of Volume 5 at last.

Why do you keep referring to the next release as "Volume 5?" I suppose it could be possible to see the next 3 pack (Volume 5) before the upcoming October release, which is rumored to be a licensed 2 table pack (CftBL and MB). Which would probably also give more reason as for why we are not seeing the flipper/physics update of packs 1 through 3 along with this release.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
[MENTION=7578]trash80[/MENTION] I only said Volume 5 as a few posts above, someone said Volume 5 has been in Beta since July.

Don’t care what they call the next release - Halloween double-pack or 3 table Vol 5. Just very much looking forward to them coming out.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Probably for a Halloween MB/CftBL pack.

MB and CftBL with PFX3 treatment-mandatory!
Hopefully with fixes for the other tables-like white water's music and inability to hit ramps in White Water and Road Show. I'm horrible at Hurricane IRL and I can hit both ramps in the PFX3 version easily.
Whereas I can hit ramps easily on Road Show and WH2O IRL but not in the PFX3 version.

Well, back to playing Zaccaria for now-only about 2,300 achievements left to go....

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
Hopefully with fixes for the other tables-like white water's music and inability to hit ramps in White Water and Road Show. I'm horrible at Hurricane IRL and I can hit both ramps in the PFX3 version easily.
Whereas I can hit ramps easily on Road Show and WH2O IRL but not in the PFX3 version.

Well, back to playing Zaccaria for now-only about 2,300 achievements left to go....

Interesting... I haven't had any particular problems hitting the ramps on those two tables and I played them both a lot.

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018

Interesting... I haven't had any particular problems hitting the ramps on those two tables and I played them both a lot.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Hopefully with fixes for the other tables-like ... and inability to hit ramps in White Water and Road Show. ... Whereas I can hit ramps easily on Road Show and WH2O IRL but not in the PFX3 version.

Sounds like a you problem. They're tight shots but I don't have an inordinate amount of trouble hitting them. You're the only person I've seen bringing this up.

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
At least I can confirm a left ramp problem for Road Show in single player mode. White Water ramps are also difficult to hit with Zen physics. Both tables runs well in classic arcade and tournament mode.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Ah, interesting. I almost never use Zen physics, so that explains that.
I just played the tables today on the PS4 with Zen physics. I was able to hit the ramps consistently on those two tables. Perhaps it's limited to just the PC version.

dmil666

May 19, 2018
I just played the tables today on the PS4 with Zen physics. I was able to hit the ramps consistently on those two tables. Perhaps it's limited to just the PC version.

The left ramp on Roadshow is tricky on the PC as the ball wants to roll back downhill on a less than full power shot. It's kinda hard to describe exactly, but it's much harder than the TPA version. It's pretty much like that for me with either Zen or arcade physics.

Disclaimer: I'm not very good at pinball but I love playing it.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
The left ramp on Roadshow is tricky on the PC as the ball wants to roll back downhill on a less than full power shot. It's kinda hard to describe exactly, but it's much harder than the TPA version. It's pretty much like that for me with either Zen or arcade physics.

Disclaimer: I'm not very good at pinball but I love playing it.
I would not use the pinball arcade as a measure of quality ramp physics. It is a fact that they had ramp railroads (commonly referred to as vacuum ramps) to get the ball up and around all elevated parts of the Playfield.

This was to work around parts of their physics engine that needed the ball to be on the Playfield surface for it to be recognised as "in play".

The other reason is because the ramps were not considered a part of the physics engine. Therefore if the balls were shot up a ramp object they would just fly off the table if they didn't have the railroad in place.

They improved the randomness of these vacuums in later editions of all the tables but they are still railroads.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

dmil666

May 19, 2018
I would not use the pinball arcade as a measure of quality ramp physics. It is a fact that they had ramp railroads (commonly referred to as vacuum ramps) to get the ball up and around all elevated parts of the Playfield.

This was to work around parts of their physics engine that needed the ball to be on the Playfield surface for it to be recognised as "in play".

The other reason is because the ramps were not considered a part of the physics engine. Therefore if the balls were shot up a ramp object they would just fly off the table if they didn't have the railroad in place.

They improved the randomness of these vacuums in later editions of all the tables but they are still railroads.

I wasn't necessarily referring to TPA's Roadshow as "quality", just as my only other reference to the machine. I've never seen an actual Roadshow pin in the wild, much less played one.
It's interesting what you point out that Farsight did to get their emulations to work, and explains some of the behavior that I've seen on various TPA tables. I've had the ball go flying out of the top of the Pinbot table after shooting the left ramp, several times in fact, and a couple other tables whose names escape me at the moment. It's always a bit of shock when it happens.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
What’s the latest BlahCade podcast episode where Chris and Jared reveal they have had the Volume 5 Beta since July? I’ve listened to every episode available on iTunes but must’ve been distracted during that part as I don’t recall it being on the ‘Are We There Yet?’ Episode? Or was this a Twitch exclusive show or something?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
What’s the latest BlahCade podcast episode where Chris and Jared reveal they have had the Volume 5 Beta since July? I’ve listened to every episode available on iTunes but must’ve been distracted during that part as I don’t recall it being on the ‘Are We There Yet?’ Episode? Or was this a Twitch exclusive show or something?

It's the latest episode. I haven't done post on the episode yet for the audio edition. Not sure if [MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION] has had a chance to upload the episode to YouTube yet.

It should be on playback on twitch if you're keen.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
[MENTION=459]jaredmorgs[/MENTION] Ah I see. No, I’ll wait for the audio version. Just thought I hadn’t heard Chris [MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION] , the bare-faced liar , come clean and didn’t want to miss it

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.