What Would You Pay To Have Actual Film Scores For Zen Original?

What Would You Pay To Have Actual Film Scores For Zen Originals?

• Not Interested

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Yes, but no higher than 1/3 of table cost

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Yes, even if it was $5

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
In our podcast, I suggested that it’d be cool, though costly, to be able to pay for DLC on an individual table basis to get the actual film score music in Zen originals rather than the generic music. I mean Jaws is not Jaws without that theme. Jurassic Park is sorely missing that oomph from hearing the iconic score. Get rid of the generic techno in Iron Man and replace it with some Ozzy and AC/DC. Get what I’m saying?
Obviously though that sort of addition wouldn’t be cheap. Only reason we have Star Wars music is because they bought it once and then kept spreading out the cost over 19 tables. Table like ET or Jaws, music is only good for that, yet will cost probably the same as SW. So how much would be your breaking point for purchasing?

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Given that Universal Monsters pack with 2 tables is the same price as the other Williams packs with 3 tables and still seems priced fairly at that (given that both tables are good), I say +50% charge for proper licensing (so the film/TV music and where applicable and reasonably affordable snippets added like those already in tables like Jurassic World). That said, doesn't mean I personally wouldn't pay more than that, but it needs to be a price acceptable to the mass market or it wouldn't work if <5% players bought it (assuming licensing costs are $x as a one off or annual payment, rather than $y per sale).

Key piece of information that Zen will have is how Universal Monsters sold compared with other Williams packs.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Music licensing can change hands more often than you think, if you are not able to do a 'bundle' (sync/mech/master) license and in perpetuity, this will cause more problems than just needing to remove a table (like Plants vs Zombies, etc). Plus, as an end user, there is a very good chance you could get take-down notices, and infringement claims should you decide to upload a lets play.

Here is an interesting article https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...dustry-solve-its-problem-with-music-licensing

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Music licensing can change hands more often than you think, if you are not able to do a 'bundle' (sync/mech/master) license and in perpetuity, this will cause more problems than just needing to remove a table (like Plants vs Zombies, etc). Plus, as an end user, there is a very good chance you could get take-down notices, and infringement claims should you decide to upload a lets play.

Here is an interesting article https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...dustry-solve-its-problem-with-music-licensing

That was a most excellent article! Thank you for finding that. In particular I found this quote interesting...

"Moreover, there are times when an initial license, depending on who your music consultant is/was, can cover 'future or now unknown platforms.' This generally is a good faith gesture and eliminates the need to go back to the record label and music publisher for extended terms/uses on new platforms."

If I had to guess, this is why Star Wars wasn't initially available on Switch, and not just because of music. I suspect it's the same reason the Marvel tables aren't there either. The article also reinforced my point about just how expensive music licensing can be. The one thing to note though is since all the Zen originals already have music attached to them, there isn't a risk of the table needing to be pulled later because licensed music for them is available. You'd simply have that option of DLC disappear. Unless of course they do that whole "in perpetuity" thing.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Maybe they can make it more incentivizing by adding other cool extras like custom ball skins for that specific theme. The Universal tables would be the only ones I would really care to pay for though.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
i remember the good old days on the first xbox where you could put a music cd into it and rip it to the hdd, then almost 50% of games had a menu option to play your own music. dunno why thats not a thing anymore. i think the price should be equal to and not more than whatever the single song costs on digital market places. each star wars song is listed as 1.29 in the google play store. it should also come with owernership of the song digitally.

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
i remember the good old days on the first xbox where you could put a music cd into it and rip it to the hdd, then almost 50% of games had a menu option to play your own music. dunno why thats not a thing anymore.

Its occasionally still a "thing". You can use your own music in GTA V to make a custom radio station.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Wouldn’t want to pay more for film scores in zen originals because I guess I don’t miss the missing jaws theme, etc. because that is how Zen originally released them.

I would pay more to have the missing songs in Williams and Bally tables. I was really disappointed when Creature was released to find out that it only had one of the five licensed songs.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Wouldn’t want to pay more for film scores in zen originals because I guess I don’t miss the missing jaws theme, etc. because that is how Zen originally released them.

I would pay more to have the missing songs in Williams and Bally tables. I was really disappointed when Creature was released to find out that it only had one of the five licensed songs.

Zen was willing, issue was the licensors. For me Jaws isn’t Jaws without his theme. Just call the table ‘Great White’ for how generic the music is.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.