Why is this table so addictive?

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I don't get it. When looking at the screenshots it looked like it was going to play terribly but it's managed to not only surpass my expectations but become one of my favorite tables after only a few hours.

I guess I was thrown back by the five ball games (I knew that's what happened on Jive Time... but I didn't know it was common in most mechanical games) so not only does the table look a lot different to the other DLC tables but it also plays like nothing else too.

Just everything about it is wonderful: The colours, the table graphics, the simple but brutal playfield, the bell sounds when you hit pretty much anything, last but not least the actual theme of the table itself (it's a huge contrast to the monster/horror themed tables we've been getting lately).

I'm just glad I bought it in the table pack, I'm not sure I'd have bought it on it's own but so far it's managed to blow Scared Stiff out of the water :'D

We need more classic Gottlieb tables!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I can't say that I'm enjoying this table exactly, and I'm certainly having much more fun with Scared Stiff even if I have to mentally fill in the missing quotes, but I have to admit, Big Shot's not all that bad.

Wigoutboy

Sep 5, 2012
The table is amazingly fun and addictive because of the non-stop action and the challenge of hitting all the drop targets while keeping the ball alive.

It has also made me a better player, I can nudge much better now and my flipper skills have improved a lot. Seriously anyone who skipped this pack is missing out.

I hope Farsight adds more EM's like this to the game.

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Rudy mate , I enjoy all the tables, what a variety we have. we are so lucky to have these tables !!! can you imagine this time next year how many more tables we will have !!!us aussies can`t win in cricket union boxing, so I figured I`m better off playing pinnies haha !!!:rolleyes:

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
Big Shot is one of my absolute favorite tables on TPA. I play it nearly ever day. I hope TPA puts up at least a dozen of the older tables like that one. It's great to have the super modern tables with lots of goals and lights and bling-bling, but tables like Big Shot have serious addictive appeal too. I used to play the real table a lot as a kid. It was outside a grocery store in a local mall for about 4 months. I played it every day and then as they always did...it got replaced by another pinball table. One that was a lot less fun and ate money like it's life depended on it. :D

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
Rudy mate , I enjoy all the tables, what a variety we have. we are so lucky to have these tables !!! can you imagine this time next year how many more tables we will have !!!us aussies can`t win in cricket union boxing, so I figured I`m better off playing pinnies haha !!!:rolleyes:

LOL

Rock on!

I too can't wait until this time next year. I will never get bored of any of TPA tables they have chosen, but I also cannot wait to see what is next. I pray TPA goes well over 100 tables. Give us 200 tables. :) TPA has become my favorite video game of all time. I seriously cannot and will not love a game more than I love TPA. It's everything I ever wanted in a video game.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I like Big Shot because it is very different than most of the early to mid 70's era tables. Very challenging and hard,but fun at the same time. It really helped me get a deeper appreciation of older pins. I'm still playing this on TPA.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Yeah, this table is strangely compelling. I just randomly tried it figuring to kill a bit of time while relaxing for bed... and suddenly it's three hours later at 4 AM.

Those drop targets are a siren song. No matter how many times you drain, you always feel with full confidence you're going to nail them all next time.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Big Shot reminds me of Tetris.

Easy to learn, a lifetime to master sort of thing. Even if you do well one game, you could do absolutely terribly the next. But the fact that you know better keeps making you drop that extra quarter in.

Frankly, it reminds me of Triple Strike, but less punishing.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Big Shot is a fantastic table as it was a fantastic machine IRL to play when I was a teenager in 1973. I really like Big Shot PC version.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
My fiance is from the Philippines and I think she's conviced that "just one more game" means that I'll be in bed sometime in the AM

joseph5185

Nov 8, 2013
I agree with everything that has been said and I wish I had the opportunity to play the real thing.

This is easily in my Top 3...

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
It's funny that IPDB has both "Hot Shot" 4-player and "Big Shot" 2-player are rated so low. Hot Shot is rated #192 in the IPDB.

I guess I am going to have to get a username at IPDB and rate "Hot Shot" so it might climb higher in the IPDB top EM Poll.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I think Big Shot is synonymous with classic pinball. Easy to learn and difficult to master. I think Ace High will be another unexpectedly addicting table like this, if they do it right.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
I think it's good that the rules don't require a completion of the targets to score big time. It results in a more relaxed play.

Silver Ball Kid

Dec 22, 2013
OK, I just downloaded TPA off Steam two days ago and yesterday and today I downloaded all the tables. As you guys have said before me, I find myself going back to this table again and again. There is something to be said for the utter simplicity of the game, and for how cunningly difficult it is to play. Also, being old enough to have played these EM tables back in the day, I just love the sounds.

As much as I love Rudy in Funhouse and all the newer tables, there is nothing like some wood, some targets, and a big silver ball. I won't be tiring of this table any time soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.