Done with Cactus Canyon

ostrich2

Feb 26, 2013
It's funny - I'm not sure if there's a major difference between the handling on the PS3 and mobile, but I've found I can save the ball on many of the bad left hand kick outs just with an instant reaction with the left flipper to just catch it on the tip and deflect it over to the right. It's a real just pure instinct reaction save though - there's no time to think about it. You really have to be paying attention though - if you're caught off guard at all it'll go between them. And there are some that I don't think you can save without a nudge, but those seem to be in the minority. Any time the ball if coming down the left I'm waiting it as it comes down and preparing to react if I see it start to kick out at all.

I do think the behavior is pretty aggravating, because even though it's probably meant to introduce a certain amount of real-life unpredictability to the trajectory of the ball that doesn't happen on an ideal "perfect" table, there's something about it that doesn't feel realistic either. But with some practice it's manageable to deal with most of the time. I do find the table as a whole a pretty fun and interesting one, so there's some incentive for me to put up with the funny loop behavior.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
Just beat my high score with 363M. It took about an hour and I could have scored more with a better 2nd showdown and high noon.

I'm determined to crack 500M.

ostrich2

Feb 26, 2013
Actually a great way to crack 500M is to look for a good opportunity when you've got a combination of the +1 million bonus awarded as a bounty reward and a nice long ball that's been able to build up lots of additional bonus and bonus multiplier. In my best game I did that and at one point was just continuing to setup gold mine multiballs to keep increasing the bonus x. The end of ball bonus for that ball alone was almost 780M. That was something like 84x with about 9m bonus per.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Funny. the table that IS really known for this in real life (Whitewaters' Disaster Drop) doesn't do this, ad i remember it happening all the time to me on mint games.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
It's quite sad that the table is so messed up. I love the setup and layout and general gameplay but when I go back to play it once in a while I always realized why I left. The random drains, the superfast and unsaveable drains. It just feels unfair when you play. Please fix this!

N

netizen

I have not seem any feedback on the PC version :/
Maybe I am tripping out, but I really do not notice the same loop/orbit randomness on that version. it is really strange.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I love CC, I like it on the PC but it's one of the games that got somewhat easier in the transition.
I think i'm just getting used to having up-nudging. I think that that is the biggest contributor to the relative ease of the tables going from mobile to PC.

I wasn't willing to give up shake nudging for upward nudging.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I have not seem any feedback on the PC version :/
Maybe I am tripping out, but I really do not notice the same loop/orbit randomness on that version. it is really strange.
Oh it's there. I hadn't had this table or played it at all until recently when I got both season passes for pc. When the ball is coming down from the left loop, it will randomly kick out and head sdtm. You can nudge every time and mostly avoid it...mostly. Unless that nudge causes you to tilt. :eek: It also will kick out weird when it goes around the other way. I've seen it shoot it back up the ramp.

Last edited:

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
It sure is drainy. Not just the 1/10 left loop but the out lanes. IF you don´t nudge there they drain 9/10 both left and right when you think it should be 50/50.

But it´s good I just can´t tilt worth anything and those I can often save by a simple tilt. I generally tend to make things worse when I actually figure out I should tilt.
I tend to believe the ball will not drain. I get as surprised every time.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
BTW, here's why it happens.

At the end of the orbit, there's a rubber post. when the ball goes along the orbit, it can catch the side of the rubber post. if it does so, it will deflect towards the opposite side of the table an amount dependent on the spin and speed of the ball. This amount can be enough to go straight down the middle.

I've never seen it happen in real life to anybody but me (laugh).

Just because it never happens on any YOU played in real life does not mean it does not happen.

I've NEVER seen it in real life on an AFM though. that's why they fixed it for that table.

Bobby and Sharpe are correct.

N

netizen

As near as can be determined by comparing both ipdb and the table explore mode angles, the post at the end of the loop is not exposed. For the angle to be changed because of that post, the post itself would have to be out of alignment, or the loop guide is misaligned.

Had the post been exposed and if it were the cause then every ball that came down the loop would hit it, not just every one once in a while.

Zaphod77 said:
Just because it never happens on any YOU played in real life does not mean it does not happen.
Just because you'd never seen it on AFM doesn't mean it couldn't have been possible on a real machine with improperly aligned parts too. If the loop guide doesn't line up with the next part properly there is just as much likelihood for the hop that was present in the digitized version, much like what is in CC, or in BR

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Two effects are at play.

one is that it's a pretty tight tolerance there.

The other is the ball spin it picks up from the metal rail will tend to carry it towards the post.

As I've said, i've seen it happen on real machines in nice condition, and the post and guide don't look misaligned at all. yet it can and does happen, though usually not as often as TPA does it.

Ace Pumpkin

Aug 25, 2013
My problems with CC:
The left flipper in iOS seems spongy. From an inlane feed or trap, the ball barely makes it to the right spot target. It will never make it to the right ramp.
The left ramp is difficult to make from a right flipper trap. It feels as though the metal brace is bent up and makes the ball hop a bit to keep it from completing the ramp.

yuriijos

Dec 26, 2012
What's up with the left and right loops? Will this ever be fixed Farsight? This table sucks because of the ball trajectory on those loops, SDTM most of the time. Too bad because this is such a great pin and I rarely play it because the ball physics are just plain terrible!

N

netizen

My problems with CC:
The left flipper in iOS seems spongy. From an inlane feed or trap, the ball barely makes it to the right spot target. It will never make it to the right ramp.
The left ramp is difficult to make from a right flipper trap. It feels as though the metal brace is bent up and makes the ball hop a bit to keep it from completing the ramp.

What's up with the left and right loops? Will this ever be fixed Farsight? This table sucks because of the ball trajectory on those loops, SDTM most of the time. Too bad because this is such a great pin and I rarely play it because the ball physics are just plain terrible!

These are both physics issues that seem to make the statement of the physics being the same on every platform a bit false, as these issues do not seem present on the PC version.

IDK why there has not been any feedback from FS since the release of CC about the weird orbit "added difficulty" unlike on AFM or the way that the flippers do not have the same strength on mobile as on PC.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I have never had any issues with Cactus Canyon. In fact, I would rate it as one of the easier tables as I reach the wizard mode quite regularly. Is the PS3 version much easier or something?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I've never noticed an issue with the loops, or with STDM drains from the left ramp (it's nothing like the almost guaranteed STDM from a weak shot up the left ramp on MM, for instance, but I don't see too many complaints about that). I imagine it's a platform-specific thing?

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I think it behaves the same across platforms, but the difference is that the easy nudging with a PC keyboard or console controller makes the slap-save so easy you don't even think about it. On touch screens that save is a lot harder.

Meto

Jul 25, 2012
CC is damn near impossible on a phone... Especially with the guns in the way and the ball hitting the outlanes so fast. Not to mention the many times it runs up the right flipper lane and pops into the outlane. That pisses me off so much.

I have a Hall Of Fame goal and this table is keeping me from achieving it... I really hate this table on android

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
Now I have a decent high score (340M) after MANY attempts on it. It seems like me and CC doesn't really get along well and I guess there will be a looong time until I play it again.

I really do think that this tables has one of the best setups and rulesets of all 57 but it is ruined by the incredibly weird physics of the game. I have hardly seen any hungrier outlanes and all those STDM's that exist. So much to do on the table but you are left feeding the gold mine in order to get a decent score - I have never been close to scoring a 2nd High Noon!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.