This Black Knight is awesome club

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
I know this table isn't greatly loved in its TPA incarnation, so I just wanted to show it some...

It's punishingly difficult, but I love the precision, split attention, and calm under pressure it requires of you. The mechanics (get multiball, keep multiball in play for as long as possible, when down to one ball get multiball again) are pretty simplistic, and the inner right hand ramp is evil itself, but it condenses everything that's exciting about pinball into a minimalist package, and there's something elegant about that.

The light show being fixed would be great, but for me the only things that really need fixing desperately are the ball count / turnaround / lock bugs.

Still can't get much higher than 1.5 million, but I'm getting better...

night

May 18, 2012
A camera fix for the upper playfield would be great as well, hard to see the flipper overthere.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Need to be able to see that top flipper better. Then get the ROM emulation going. Until that happens it won't get the appreciation it deserves.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
I've never played in real life or on another sim, so I don't have expectations about being able to see the top left flipper, and although it is tricky, I've got used to it.

As long as I play in portrait / medium cam on my Nexus 7 it's doable.

(certainly not trying to say you're wrong though...)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I've never played it as well, therefore, I've not got any real issues with it, except the ball getting stuck in the lock sometimes instead of being kicked out.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
My issues are more to do with the layout not following the real life table. Lots of the ramps go straight down the middle instead of into the flippers. The initial release was far worse with everything down the center drain without exception. So it has been greatly improved but still needs some work. The Tom emulation would help as well.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
I've never played it as well, therefore, I've not got any real issues with it, except the ball getting stuck in the lock sometimes instead of being kicked out.

I've had it get stuck in the lock, though you can nudge it out. I've put two balls into the turnaround at about the same time, and one of them got stuck in a weird loop: disappearing and giving me 5000 points, then a few seconds later momentarily appearing again, only to immediately disappear and award me another 5000... Had to quit to main menu.

The one that's messing me up is the failure to lock the ball, where it just warps straight through out of the bottom. It looks to me like a failure to keep track of balls that are already in there - I've never seen it happen three times in a row, which would indicate intuitively that you're filling it up again despite it not being empty...

Still, up to 2.7 million now, so it's messing me up a bit, but I'm still getting better.

Fix that sound. Good gawd.

Play Genie for a bit... Puts things in perspective ;)

My issues are more to do with the layout not following the real life table. Lots of the ramps go straight down the middle instead of into the flippers. The initial release was far worse with everything down the center drain without exception. So it has been greatly improved but still needs some work. The Tom emulation would help as well.

It's that inner right ramp. It's OK as long as you hit the freshly released multiballs with the top left flipper on the way past. But by default they're going down the pan, so until you get into the rhythm it's a bit disheartening...

I suppose it is at least possible that their sample table spat the multiballs straight down the middle, and they just recreated it faithfully? I know there are variations in tables, but that's normally posts and bumpers and flippers and turnarounds and things isn't it. You'd expect a ramp to be a bit more consistent between samples. Who knows.

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
I know this has been explain before, but how can I reposition the manga safe buttons on the iOS? I find their position too low for my thumbs, prefer to have 'm higher, I miss a lot of manga safe here. Thanks!

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
On Android (I'd guess it's the same), from in-game

Options button -> Options -> Button position

(you have to scroll down to see the option, so it's not entirely obvious it's there).

night

May 18, 2012
On Android (I'd guess it's the same), from in-game

Options button -> Options -> Button position

(you have to scroll down to see the option, so it's not entirely obvious it's there).

Many thanks Mike, must have overlooked that one!

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
night: No problem. It's really not visually obvious you can scroll that menu, at least in certain screen sizes.

I've got lost looking for that myself...

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It would be nice to get the BK ROM emulation when BK 2000 comes out.

They said something about it still being worked on recently. It would be great (would have been better when they put black knight as table of the month to highlight the improvement) but I am guessing it is still another pack or three away.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
They said something about it still being worked on recently. It would be great (would have been better when they put black knight as table of the month to highlight the improvement) but I am guessing it is still another pack or three away.

BK isn't rom emu'd in the pack 23 release beta. I check this first start up of every new beta only to be disappointed. Some day maybe.

And Black Knight was free to play table of the month last month with Black Rose pack 22, so Farsight missed a good opportunity there as you point out.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I kind of doubt Farsight is going to bother by this point. I'm sure they want to emulate BK, but the commercial value just isn't there. The proportion of players who refuse to buy it scripted but would buy it emulated can't be very big at all.

night

May 18, 2012
I kind of doubt Farsight is going to bother by this point. I'm sure they want to emulate BK, but the commercial value just isn't there. The proportion of players who refuse to buy it scripted but would buy it emulated can't be very big at all.

Why don't they torture an employee to force them to do the hard work scripting in the evening hours. Or is that illegal?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.