Request Ouya Update???

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
New lighting engine for Ouya!!!

March 15, 2014

Hey everyone! we are proud to announce that WHO dunnit™ is now available on Steam (Mac/Windows), iOS, Google Play, Amazon, and Ouya! WHO dunnit™ (1995): designed by Dwight Sullivan and Barry Oursler, this table combines the thrill of gambling with an intriguing murder mystery.
Nine days later and still no Who Dunnit. Just sayin'... :confused:

EDIT: Awesome! And the colors and lighting in so many tables is so much better now!

Last edited:

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
And they finally released it last time I played. I had to redownload most of my Tables, especially the older ones. I wish I had before and after photos. I don't know what they did, but the lighting on the updated tables looks a million percent more vibrant than it did before. It's like the lights on the pinball actually cast a glow on the table. Still no reflections or advanced effects like that, but the lighting looks like the table is really glowing. Absolutely awesome! Please, Farsight, render the rest of the tables like this!!!

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Well currently, about half the tables have gotten the lighting update. Many of the older tables now have the enhanced lighting. Season 3 either looks very good or the lighting came preinstalled as default, however most of Season 2 tables have not been updated. On the non-updated tables the playfield and other elements seemed to be flat shaded, in a very bright room with the lighting elements glowing about the same brightness as the playfield itself. It is fairly obvious on the non-updated tables that the playfields and other objects were scanned in and the whole table was rendered as if bright overhead lights were shining on the table. The lights on the playfield don't actually seem to have any type of ambient glow when they light up, but the lamp graphics just turn bright when they get activated. On the tables with updated lighting, the playfield graphics are subdued a little bit, as if the overhead lighting was dimmed down. The light bulbs underneath the table now illuminate not only the transparency above the lamp, but also cause the adjacent playfield objects to glow softly. In other words, the lights act more as they would in real life, illuminating playfield elements. There are still no ball or playfield reflections neither do the lights cast their glow on the pinball itself or other mobile elements. It appears that all the ambient lighting effects are performed using prerendered masks. In other words, the glow that each light bulb casts is prerendered and applied to the playfield whenever the lightbulb is illuminated. The mobile SOAC graphics modules cannot handle the dozens of light sources that a pinball table has on the playfield, but prerendered light masks look dang believable and really breath life into what was before a fairly flat looking pinball table. Anyway, I know Farsight was bragging about the new PS4 light rendering engine they were creating for TPA, with a slider control the room brightness, blending between fully lit and lights out pinball. I'm assuming with the new lighting engine they created for PS4, they are going back and retroactively applying prerendered visuals from these new settings to the Android/iOS/Ouya engines. I may try to take some photos, but the sensor on my camera generally screws up when trying to photograph an LCD screen, as I have no access to HD capture hardware. The gamma/brightness in the screen is too high causing digital photos to be washed out. I'll try to photograph two tables with and two without the improved lighting effects. Sorry no before and after shots since I can't roll back the updates. The difference is night and day though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Well currently, about half the tables have gotten the lighting update. Many of the older tables now have the enhanced lighting. Season 3 either looks very good or the lighting came preinstalled as default, however most of Season 2 tables have not been updated. On the non-updated tables the playfield and other elements seemed to be flat shaded, in a very bright room with the lighting elements glowing about the same brightness as the playfield itself. It is fairly obvious on the non-updated tables that the playfields and other objects were scanned in and the whole table was rendered as if bright overhead lights were shining on the table. The lights on the playfield don't actually seem to have any type of ambient glow when they light up, but the lamp graphics just turn bright when they get activated. On the tables with updated lighting, the playfield graphics are subdued a little bit, as if the overhead lighting was dimmed down. The light bulbs underneath the table now illuminate not only the transparency above the lamp, but also cause the adjacent playfield objects to glow softly. In other words, the lights act more as they would in real life, illuminating playfield elements. There are still no ball or playfield reflections neither do the lights cast their glow on the pinball itself or other mobile elements. It appears that all the ambient lighting effects are performed using prerendered masks. In other words, the glow that each light bulb casts is prerendered and applied to the playfield whenever the lightbulb is illuminated. The mobile SOAC graphics modules cannot handle the dozens of light sources that a pinball table has on the playfield, but prerendered light masks look dang believable and really breath life into what was before a fairly flat looking pinball table. Anyway, I know Farsight was bragging about the new PS4 light rendering engine they were creating for TPA, with a slider control the room brightness, blending between fully lit and lights out pinball. I'm assuming with the new lighting engine they created for PS4, they are going back and retroactively applying prerendered visuals from these new settings to the Android/iOS/Ouya engines. I may try to take some photos, but the sensor on my camera generally screws up when trying to photograph an LCD screen, as I have no access to HD capture hardware. The gamma/brightness in the screen is too high causing digital photos to be washed out. I'll try to photograph two tables with and two without the improved lighting effects. Sorry no before and after shots since I can't roll back the updates. The difference is night and day though.

Are you able to access manual controls on the camera?

If you have access to iso settings try keeping that set at 200 or even better 100 if you can.

For aperture (or av, or an f value) higher numbers mean darker.

For shutter speed higher numbers also mean darker.

Camera sensors have a hard time with moving images on screen and flashing lights when they are set to auto exposure because they are always evaluating the overall brightness of a scene.

If you are using a point and shoot camera. These options will typically be buried in a menu somewhere. If you have a dslr or even a higher end "bridge" type camera you usually just have to hold a button and turn a dial to adjust the exposure values.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I am assuming he just got some of the texture updates with the hi lod update, rebuilding a lot of those tables went into the ouya. Though I did not give them the high detail option, it was lagging the system too much with the overdraw. Better textures help though =)

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
I took some photos with my cell phone the other night but it looks like TPA forums do not support uploads. I have a Flickr account but I don't use it for uploading random crap and linking flickr images is a PITA. Some of the cleaner tables such as Central Park, Big Shot, Taxi, and others the effects are especially noticable. The lights underneath pop bumpers and other elements actually seem to cast glow on the table now and although I'm aware it's all prerendered it still looks nice. Telltale sign on some tables when you hold the flipper up to cradle the ball, there is still a dark shadow where the flipper normally rests when it's not actuated. :p

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I took some photos with my cell phone the other night but it looks like TPA forums do not support uploads. I have a Flickr account but I don't use it for uploading random crap and linking flickr images is a PITA. Some of the cleaner tables such as Central Park, Big Shot, Taxi, and others the effects are especially noticable. The lights underneath pop bumpers and other elements actually seem to cast glow on the table now and although I'm aware it's all prerendered it still looks nice. Telltale sign on some tables when you hold the flipper up to cradle the ball, there is still a dark shadow where the flipper normally rests when it's not actuated. :p

Use Dropbox and the public folder feature.

Or use Tapatalk app which offers an image hosting service.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.