Any good advice to someone inexperience in real pinball?

PrivateEyeball

Mar 1, 2015
During my lunch break today, I realized that (as long as I don't eat REALLY slow), I have time to sneak to the mall nearby and play a game or two of pinball. And since I have a ton of quarters chilling in my bedroom, I figure I might as well turn them into tokens (either that or vending machine garbage) and play a game.

Problem is: I don't have much experience with the actual thing, I played a couple time on an Elvis machine in the laundromat across from my college, but that's really it. And while I'm hardly even an expert on the game in it's video game form, I figure a game a day on a real machine can only make me better at something or other.

So anyways, what are some of the things I should be keeping in mind when learning the real deal? And what are the key differences to TPA to keep in mind?

(As for the machines: I played Simpsons Pinball Party today. There are a couple others, can't remember them off the top of my head)

superdan

Jan 30, 2015
I'll take a quick stab at this and to talk about the most obvious difference...needing quarters.
First, The physics will be different...you will not be dealing with digital/video format...will more than likely give you more randomness. It will take you a few games to get comfortable with the transition.
Second, you have real flippers now. Can do the tap pass and such.
In addition, your real pinball machine May or may not be leveled, might have burned out bulbs, flippers not adjusted properly, and so forth so will have to adjust for that. Not sure what else to say except it's the same game, different format.
Just don't expect to get same results from TPA to real and vice versa. Will take time and practice like anything else I suppose. Cheers
Ps go to papa site under learning and has nice videos on different flipper techniques

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Whoa, your mall still has an arcade? Consider yourself insanely lucky. I haven't seen an arcade in a mall since like 1999. It used to be the only reason I went to malls, heh.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts