Request Better portrait mode for Vita

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
FS should never underestimate the power of a simple, "Thanks for the input! I'll pass that along."

This is exactly what needs to happen. FS seems to be able to do this for the other systems (they do a fantastic job with the mobile platforms) but have made only a single post in the Vita section. Even if they said that they were looking into it that would be a satisfactory response.

Darrell Harding

Mar 28, 2013
Hi guys just joined this page as I really wanted to add my support for this badly needed fix for TPA, portrait mode is a joke and I too have been messaging farsight via Facebook about implementing the PSP digital control scheme and finally got a response asking what control scheme on vita was I referring to on 13th September 2012 then again after numerous other messages basically pleading with them to add the PSP controls I was simply told "we will look into this suggestion , thank you" that was on January 5th 2013. I really hope they are actually doing something about the ****ty touch only portrait controls as this is the best way to play in my opinion but with the progressively poorer quality tables coming to the vita I really am not holding my breath. Why the didn't just transfer their own established control method over from their previous games is beyond belief and at the same time transfer the far superior camera views over, TPA on vita in landscape had some seriously crap angles particularly plunger cams but that's another topic, sorry to stray off target.

Piccalilli

Oct 13, 2012
I still think the portrait mode needs adjusting to give us the options previously mentioned, but I just wanted to pass on a bit of luck I've had recently at making the current portrait mode more playable. I purchased a media stand for my Vita to make it easier to stand the system up while watching Netflix and to protect the serial number sticker on bottom since we've had problems with them peeling up in our family. The stand is basically a plastic frame that fits around the back and sides of my Vita with a cutout to allow access to the rear touch panel. It cost just under $10. So when I play with the Vita now, the frame gives me enough space to rest the system against my fingers without accidentally triggering the touch pad. I can't reach the pad quickly from this position, so my already pathetic attempts at nudging are not workable at all... But at least I'm not inadvertently tilting the table when my fingers slip or I have to prop the system against something.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Thanks for the input and I have passed this along! I was hired 3 months ago and I noticed these issues when testing TPA with Vita. These bugs have been entered into our database and I am using this forum as evidence to the developer that Portrait mode needs to be fixed. Again thank you for your input and all your suggestions and I hope that we can resolve them in a timely manner.

Jan 6, 2013
Thanks FlippyFloppy for responding to us. With the portrait issue fixed along with the low frame rate problems a lot of people will be happy.But this should have been done long time ago. The Vita deserves the same treatment as all the other consoles.I bought a Vita just for tpa PLEASE FIX THE VITA F.S. thanks

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Thanks FlippyFloppy for responding to us. With the portrait issue fixed along with the low frame rate problems a lot of people will be happy.But this should have been done long time ago. The Vita deserves the same treatment as all the other consoles.I bought a Vita just for tpa PLEASE FIX THE VITA F.S. thanks

It was a big reason that I bought it as well. It's my favorite device to play it on, but I have to say that it seems as though it could look and play much better given the Vita's capabilities.

Still, I love it!

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I finally downloaded Zen 2 and they nailed the portrait mode. It's exactly what I was going to say TPA should have. Touchscreen or Circle to launch. X and Triangle for flippers. R stick to nudge.

It's perfect.

Last edited:

PoSTedUP

Dec 14, 2013
i concur, touch screen controls are horrible. we would really appreciate this FarSight, you guys are awesome please make it happen eventually if you find the time.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
i concur, touch screen controls are horrible. we would really appreciate this FarSight, you guys are awesome please make it happen eventually if you find the time.

Not only that, but nudging in portrait is a little awkward as well. I don't have big hands, but it's still uncomfortable to use the back touch panel for nudging and thumbs for flippers.

PoSTedUP

Dec 14, 2013
Not only that, but nudging in portrait is a little awkward as well. I don't have big hands, but it's still uncomfortable to use the back touch panel for nudging and thumbs for flippers.

oh for sure. nudging isnt even an option in portrait mode for me, its inaccurate and too sensitive to the tilt. *ball headding down the middle* "welp, that ball's gone..." .... i Hate it...

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
It doesn't make sense to not have the touchscreen option for nudging like Android and iOS.

Actually, it seems like that would be the most obvious implementation of touch controls, to have them just like Android and iOS.

Piccalilli

Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for the input and I have passed this along! I was hired 3 months ago and I noticed these issues when testing TPA with Vita. These bugs have been entered into our database and I am using this forum as evidence to the developer that Portrait mode needs to be fixed. Again thank you for your input and all your suggestions and I hope that we can resolve them in a timely manner.

I haven't been on for awhile, or I'd have responded sooner. Thank you! Those simple words are very much appreciated.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I just was thinking, the rear touch pad would be way more useful for operating the plunger than nudging. That way you could keep the touchscreen controls for flippers and use the left stick for nudging if you wanted. Of course completely mappable controls would be ideal, but.....

Just a thought.

Jan 6, 2013
I just was thinking, the rear touch pad would be way more useful for operating the plunger than nudging. That way you could keep the touchscreen controls for flippers and use the left stick for nudging if you wanted. Of course completely mappable controls would be ideal, but.....

Just a thought.
I agree that would work much better i cant really play portrait mode with the nudge on the bottom they should switch them nudge should be where the plunger is..Better yet they should flip it the other way and let us use the x and triangle buttons for flippers and then you could use the right analog stick as a the nudge and the bottom could be the plunger

Last edited:

DrPinballs

Feb 15, 2014

Just a thought.

Yup. Helps even more with MM, Monster Bash, and AFM, with bombs, which are hard to launch as is, and part of the reason I don't do portrait any more (the other reason is nudge).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.