Can someone explain Black Knight?

heavydskipp

May 31, 2012
I read all this hate for black knight. Everyone asking fs to fix it. I never played this table in the real world so I don't know what the problem is with it. Can someone inform me on this table please? What is everyone up in arms about this table?

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
It seems to come down to the lighting and the lack of emulation meaning the light effects and sounds aren't quite right. I still find it quite playable, but I will agree some work needs to be done to make this one better.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I hate the view of the top section. Can't see the top flipper well. Makes it difficult to keep the ball alive up there. The top section is harder than the real table to me.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
The problems:
-Grainy graphics. The entire look of the table seems low res.
-Bugs and glitches. The balls don't lock properly all the time. The upper playfield is especially glitchy.
-Scripting errors. There seems to be issues with getting extra balls and awards from the drop targets.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I hate the view of the top section. Can't see the top flipper well.

I'd probably play this game again if it wasn't for this very thing. I mean, did the guys at FarSight look at that and think, "Yeah, it'll be ok. Who needs to actually be able see the flipper anyway."

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Black splotches over the green artwork on the magna saves.
Table looses track of balls. If you read the hate you should know what the deal is with what has been dubbed THE WORST TABLE RELEASE SO FAR! and the fact that its still like that.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Also, on the PS Vita version (I don't know about the rest), the ball will pass straight through the back of the flippers on the upper playfield.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Also the chunky background when during table selection. Here are some comparison pics from PHOF version and TPA version.
WPHOF you dont even get this view on TPA.
IMG_5062_zps594bf85f.jpg

WPHOF
IMG_5061_zpsabd9638f.jpg

TPA
IMG_5063_zps7fb9351d.jpg

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Its obvious theres too much BLACK. look at the trim on the table BLACK and all the green is almost non existent. The ball looks better and thats it!

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
I think that the inherent darkness of TPA tables (at least on the console versions) also seems to degrade the visual quality of BK. Personally, I feel like the lighting levels used in PHoF were the best way to both see and play the tables.

heavydskipp

May 31, 2012
Thanks guys this really opened my eyes to this table. My god the difference is light and day. I like the table but now I know FS needs to fix this one.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
In order for FS to fix it the fixes would have to be submitted for approval to the license holder and that would make whomever is the license holder look bad because they signed off on it.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
In order for FS to fix it the fixes would have to be submitted for approval to the license holder and that would make whomever is the license holder look bad because they signed off on it.

Well I rather doubt that the fixes wouldn't get approved, but you're right about them needing to submit them for approval so I expect they'll work on emulating the chipset before trying to fix any scripting issues.

And regarding visibility of the upper playfield that's why this and Creature from the Black Lagoon are the only tables I play using camera 3 on my iPad. Not ideal, but it works.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Its obvious theres too much BLACK. look at the trim on the table BLACK and all the green is almost non existent. The ball looks better and thats it!

Too much orange too. The entire center area of the playfield is basically orange, instead of changing colors. It's just sooooooo bad.

Tabe

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Black Knight is not a licensed theme, so the only licencing is from the pinball companies. and they are working to get this one emulated, which will fix most of the issues.

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
I honestly think there's some basic issues with the layout of this table. It's simply not fun. It's clearly a similar era or type as Gorgar or Centaur but the original design team was so interested in being revolutionary with the double-decker layout that they forgot to make a game that was fun to play. No idea how it plays in real life, though, maybe it's a ton of fun? I guess if some of the issues were taken care of with it might be more playable, so I guess I'll reserve judgment, but the initial impression I've gotten over the past month is one of intense distaste (which is a shame since I love medieval themes).

I wonder how the layout of Black Knight 2000 compares? If there was ever a table that needed a revamp, it would be this one...

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I enjoy the real Black Night much more. Easier to see and play. BK2000 is even better, full of great music and lights. The excitement factor is totally jacked up on 2000. Similiar layout but plays totally different.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts